Author Topic: Westgate St. IPSWICH - 1891.  (Read 40225 times)

Offline SpiderMan1976

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westgate St. IPSWICH - 1891.
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Footmans (or to be correct Footman, Pretty and Co Limited) were general drapers, complete house furnishers, furniture removers, china and glass dealers, and restauranteurs.

They were at Waterloo House
In my Kelly's of 1937 it shows their address as being
6, 8 and 10A Westgate Street

I had thought they were in Carr Street - doh!

Westgate Street, Tavern Street and Carr Street blend into one long shopping street, most of which is pedestrianised.

Good thing Greensleeves  :D
reminded me and I looked them up in the directory.

I will now go and sit on the naughty step!

Pat ...

I am not sure if this is of any interest to someone, but I was recently searching through old Frith Collection photographs from my old town of Braintree and came accross one photo from 1907 that had a sign up advertisitng their company. I thought out of interest I will Google the name to see if the company has any history availible which took me here to rootschat. The sign clearly states "Footman & Co. General Drapers" with the address underneith of "Waterloo House Bank Street" I think this is just a coinciedance becasue there was (and still is) a Bank Street in Braintree, and back in 1907 wouldnt it of been much unheard of for businesses to travel to and from far towns? Anyway, here is the link to the photo in particular:

http://www.francisfrith.com/braintree/photos/from-station-road-1907_57567x/

Reference is also 57567x if the link doesnt work.

Good luck!

Greg

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greg.

Thanks for posting the link, it's very interesting.  All my Auston relatives had left the area before 1907 with my gtgrandmother, Annie, living in leeds by 1901 and her father, Edward, had sold the farm in Gt.Bentley and retired to Stowmarket.
But thanks for taking the time to make contact.

Regards, David
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 01 October 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
I do know that Salmon & Gluckstein had a tobacco shop in Westgate St the 1890's. There is well known picture taken at this time showing this area viewed from the town hall steps!
Salmon & Gluckstein created the Lyons catering  business in the 1890’s.
The lovely Nigella Lawson is linked to the Salmon family!

Additional information: Tavern Street etc
Frederick Corder & Son (situated in Tavern St & Butter Market) like Footman Pretty & Co were owned by Debenham Freebody & Co.
Footman Pretty (also had a branch in Woodbridge) and at one time owned the William Pretty underwear/corsets/hosiery factory in Tower Ramparts (later run down by Courtaulds).
Corder's had a staff hostel situated in Norwich Road, Ipswich
In the late 1950’s & early 1960’s Corder’s created a show called “Gardiners” which, I think was for the young & trendy younger women, this was at the corner of Tavern St & Dial Lane! They also opened a restaurant! The original Gardiners on the site were a mantle makers!
At this time, opposite to Corders  was THE “gown” shop called Frank J Mason, a shop of some distinction, catering for the more mature lady!
Frederick Fish & Son were linen & woollen drapers on the corner of Tavern St & St Lawrence St at number 46 & 48, next door to” Croydon the Jewellers” shop. When Frederick Fish & Son  closed down the shop site was taken over by “Boots the Chemists”.In the mid 1960’s Boots moved along the road to the old Picture House cinema site! Between Corders & Boots was Thompson’s , where you could smell the aroma of roast coffee wafting down the street!

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Westgate St/Tavern St IPSWICH - 1891.
« Reply #120 on: Monday 01 October 12 11:48 BST (UK) »

I do know that Salmon & Gluckstein had a tobacco shop in Westgate St the 1890's. There is well known picture taken at this time showing this area viewed from the town hall steps!
Salmon & Gluckstein created the Lyons catering  business in the 1890’s.
The lovely Nigella Lawson is linked to the Salmon family!

Additional information: Tavern Street etc
Frederick Corder & Son (situated in Tavern St & Butter Market) like Footman Pretty & Co were owned by Debenham Freebody & Co.
Footman Pretty (also had a branch in Woodbridge) and at one time owned the William Pretty underwear/corsets/hosiery factory in Tower Ramparts (later run down by Courtaulds).
Corder's had a staff hostel situated in Norwich Road, Ipswich
In the late 1950’s & early 1960’s Corder’s created a show called “Gardiners” which, I think was for the young & trendy younger women, this was at the corner of Tavern St & Dial Lane! They also opened a restaurant! The original Gardiners on the site were a mantle makers!
At this time, opposite to Corders  was THE “gown” shop called Frank J Mason, a shop of some distinction, catering for the more mature lady!
Frederick Fish & Son were linen & woollen drapers on the corner of Tavern St & St Lawrence St at number 46 & 48, next door to” Croydon the Jewellers” shop. When Frederick Fish & Son  closed down the shop site was taken over by “Boots the Chemists”.In the mid 1960’s Boots moved along the road to the old Picture House cinema site!
Between Corders & Boots was Thompson’s , where you could smell the aroma of roast coffee wafting down the street!

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Monday 01 October 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Dulverton.

You've given me some fascinating background to Annie's early work surroundings. I visited Ipswich some time ago and found it difficult to envisage how it would have been at the turn of the twentieth century. But with a few old photos and information like yours I've started to build a mental picture.

Thanks again.

David.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 13:09 BST (UK) »
Footman, Pretty and Company department store was indeed owned by William Pretty of the corset factory, which also employed women all over the county as home-workers or in smaller factory units.  Many of the smaller units opened up as the railway developed, Stowmarket, Haverhill etc.

The shop was sold to Debenham's in the 20th century.

If anyone is in Suffolk, do check with local history societies to see if Roger Kennell (Local History Recorder for Hadleigh) is giving his excellent talk on William Pretty, who was a well known businessman in the town.
It was indeed he who put up GBP1,000 of the 1,300 purchase price for the land to build the Museum Street, Methodist Church, he laid the foundation stone there in 1860.

Corder's was also a family business opened by John Shewell Corder whose story can be found at
http://www.historicalsuffolk.com/suffolk-people.php

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Edward Alexander Auston, where was he 1911ish?
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my gtuncle Edward Alexander AUSTON was born in 1901 in Leeds but adopted in childhood. I have him (through brilliant Rootschatters) in later life, married and working as a chiropodist in Dumfries.
However there is a massive gap in my knowledge of him from his entry in the Leeds 1901 census, where he is listed as a boarder at what turned out to be a baby farm, and his 1940 marriage in Gloucester and his 1947 appearance in Dumfries. From 1947 he plies his trade in Dumfries until his death in 1973. I've searched for him in England But there's nothing after 1901. He did keep his Birth surname so it's possible he was fostered rather than adopted. But if someone has come across the name and a whereabouts in 1911ish, I'd be grateful to hear.
Many thanks,
David

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Alexander Auston, where was he 1911ish?
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the 1939 register - there appears to be only one entry for his profile and it's in Islington London

1938 and 1939 electoral registers show an Edward & Inez Auston at 18 Angell Rd Brixton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Alexander Auston, where was he 1911ish?
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
This is the thread where you discussed about him  6-7 years ago  :)

Merged.
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy