Author Topic: Westgate St. IPSWICH - 1891.  (Read 40214 times)

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Westgate St. IPSWICH - 1891.
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves.

I think you're absolutely right; Constance's father must be an ASTHILL/ASTILL.
I don't think Annie could have married him as Frank would then have had a different surname and a father on his birth cert.
Military must be favourite, but how we can prove it at this stage .........?
I'd love to know when Annie left Ipswich and when, let alone why, she arrived in Newark.
Plus, of course, Annie is using the Asthill handle in Leeds in 1911, so it wasn't merely a fad it had been around for sixteen years at least.

Don't know what I'll turn up tomorrow in Leeds. BTW, do you want your Sedgwick looking up while I'm there? Let me know if you do.

Speak later.

David.

Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks for the offer re the Sedgwicks, but I've got them more or less. It's my Suffolk Pearl(e)s who remain obdurate! 
I have just uncovered an ASTHILL of the right age from Norwich, so I'm off - digitally speaking -  to meander down that particular track.  I agree with you that the father MUST be AST(H)ILL and it couldn't just be a whim or an affectation.  I think we might end up with an "on the balance of probabilities" situation, but nevertheless, it is an absolutely fascinating story.

Have fun in Leeds!

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 30 January 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Evening ladies.

Well yesterday's trip to Leeds Library was a bag of mixed fortunes.
Had some success with the RILEY line of 1854 but research on Annie was an abject failure.

I had wanted to see if I could put a start date to her residence in Leeds and to prove/disprove the EASTWELL/SMITH link.

To search for Annie either side of the 1901 and 1911 census returns would mean rooting through the electoral roles. I could have as much time with these records as I wanted but was told there'd be little point ;  at that time, you were only put on the electoral role if you were a) male,  and b) moneyed.

Not to be deterred, I set out to find the marriage of Our Annie only to find that their marriage records for that period were no more detailed or extensive the BMD.

So, having had a look at where Annie's house used to be I called it a day and headed home.

I believe if the library had been less busy - the four staff were rushed off their feet, bless them - there would have been assistance available and other options may have been explorerd. I don't know.

I may be rash and send for the EASTWELL/SMITH marriage cert. to prove yea or ney. But I'll do some digging first to make sure Annie Eastwell is no more than a transposing error.

I wish the lady from the convent would get in touch with some good news. We could do with it !

Best wishes to you both - and anyone else who is following this saga.

David.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 30 January 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, Pat and all our readers (I've just noticed, prompted by David's last post, how many people have been following this story. Perhaps it should be made available in paperback!)

Anyway, so sorry that the Leeds venture was a mixed bag.  I do think Annie plays games with us, and every time we feel we're beaten she throws a little scrap for us to pick up.  About time she threw another one!

I've found a Frederick Astill in Bar Gate,  Newark, aged 19 in 1881 census, Railway Clerk.  Perhaps he got free rail tickets to Ipswich?  Am going to follow him up and see if I can find anything else about him.  Bit late tonight; have just got back from daughter's drama group and after hard week at work, don't feel strong enough to go onto A*y, because it's like a time-warp and suddenly four hours will have gone by and .... Am sure you know the routine!

All the best,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 01 February 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
And a cold snowy good evening to you two.

Thought we'd got away with it this afternoon ; barely a dusting of the white stuff. It was sneaky and waited until dark - didn't think we'd notice.
Let the dog out just now, to perform his pre-bed ablutions, and couldn't get him back in till he'd left a pawmark in every square foot of virgin snow.
Seriously, we've had a good inch and will probably wake up to more.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and sent for the EASTWELL/SMITH marriage cert.
Having searched everywhere I can to try and eliminate her, this is the only way to make sure. Dispatch date is 6 Feb so I should have it by Saturday.
There is an Eastwell family in the area at that time with a daughter, Annie, of the right age but she seems to have married a Mr. Morgan. Anyway the one who married Mr.Smith is an Annie Elizabeth.

We will see what we will see, as they say.

Speak to you both later.

David.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 01 February 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I will keep my fingers crossed that the certificate will help further the research into dear Annie.

I had just replied to a friend in Canada about the snow - Just let our little doggy out for his last wee wee of the day in the back garden and since we closed the curtains earlier, more snow has fallen, and yes, little paw prints everywhere.  Thank goodness we can do so much on the internet nowadays.

Hoping to catch up with the research tomorrow afternoon  :)

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 02 February 09 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Snowing hard here this morning.  Why do dogs love snow so much?  Young Titus has been rolling around in it, making what my daughter describes as "snow goblins" as opposed to the snow angels which children make.  Then he gets back indoors, thaws out, realises he's wet, and  goes off crashing into the soft furnishings!

Fingers crossed for the certificate results, David.  I am hunting down the Ast(h)ill connection.  Interestingly, it is often in census records as Astell, Astall,  Asbill and in one case Astili.  I am now scrutinising three Georges, one William and one Frederick.  There is another George a bit older than Annie who was Clerk to the Justices in Newark.  But any relationship here seems unlikely as she was a housekeeper domestic; unless ....  Hmmm, wish we could find out who was living at Appletongate in the 1891 census.  Any idea if you can search for properties rather than people?

Greensleeves

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Monday 02 February 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves.

The only way I know of searching by address is as follows:
On Anc....y, click on 1891 census. Scroll down past the search box to a list of counties. Click Nottingham. On the next list, click Newark. All the enumeration districts will be displayed. Click on 'view details of enumeration district'.
This gives you a walking route, a bit like a postmans round. When you think you have the right district, click on 'district no. 1/2/3/4/ and so on.
You'll then be at page one on that 'round'. Problem is, some districts have 60-70 pages, while some only have a handful.
It's then a matter of looking for the right address and the right name.
It's an idea to print off a street plan of the area before starting so you can identify the places on the enum.dist. description.

The good news, Greensleeves, is that I actually did all that the other night and it would appear that the the bit that we need is on district 4 or 5, both of which are missing from the records !

But feel free to have a look at 6 & 7. I'd value a second opinion. The house is at the corner of Appletongate and Sydney St,  on the east side of Appletongate. I worked this out from the photos and a street plan.

BTW, I love the idea that her chap may be an ASTILI .
Always thought I had some Italian blood in my veins !
Imagine; Annie, a mafia gangster's moll !

Settle down David...................it was just a thought.

Off to play 'roll the dog in the snow' now ! We awoke to 3 to 4" this morning and it keeps coming down really heavy from time to time. I understand we're in for it again tonight.
That's a thought......shouldn't you be at work? Not being nosey, just wondered.

Speak to you later.

David.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Monday 02 February 09 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello yew tew t'gether,

I did have a look through Enumeration District 6 this morning before I drove down to Dad's.  It did say Appleton Gate on the details page, but only a very small part of it, and no help at all.

I wondered about missing 4 and 5 - might have known they held the key to Appletongate!

I keep putting the dog's coat on him when he goes out, as otherwise he gets 'lost' in the snow!  He is coming up to 12 years old, a docile very white  Jack Russell that we rehomed 8 years ago.

Hardly any traffic on the roads between here and next village to see Dad this morning. 

Must do some housework for a while now   ::)

Tanti Auguri cari Davide (e anche a Greensleeves)   ;D

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?