Author Topic: Parish Records question  (Read 1874 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Parish Records question
« on: Tuesday 08 February 05 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for someone who was born c. 1840 in Epworth.  She's not on 1837 online (the spelling of her surname, Lainer, is dubious so it's difficult to search).  I got the published list of Epworth baptisms for the period from the local FHS, and she's not there, nor anything like her.  But it occurs to me that she married in the Roman Catholic church so was maybe baptised as a Catholic.  In that case would she be on the parish records at all?  If not, would there be any record at all?
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records question
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The main reason Catholics were baptised in CofE was because the parishes looked after the poor. In 1840 I'm pretty sure the legal requirement for the ceremony in CofE had passed so if the family was okay financially, the only ceremony could well have been RC. As to getting hold of the records, I'm sure others can advise. I have heard that many are held in the churches themselves and you need to write to the priest for help. Not sure if that is universal. FHS for the county may be able to advise on location of registers.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records question
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 14:35 GMT (UK) »
From 1837 to 1898 Catholic marriages had to be attested by a registrar independently of the church wedding. 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk