Author Topic: Witchfinder General in Suffolk  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Witchfinder General in Suffolk
« on: Wednesday 31 December 08 10:10 GMT (UK) »
One of my families, the Pearl(e)s, lived in Rattlesden, Suffolk and I have been putting a historical timeline against them to get their lives into focus.  I was therefore interested/horrified to find that the Witchfinder General visited Rattlesden and the surrounding area in 1645, and that 17 'witches' were subsequently executed in Bury St Edmunds that same year.

Has anyone else any further information about the happenings during this very uncertain time?  It must have been appalling to have lived during this kind of persecution and although it seems my family emerged unscathed, many other families must have been touched by this reign of terror.

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Witchfinder General in Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I had seen the Wikipedia article, but not the second link, giving details of the trials. Thank you so much for this.  I shall read with great interest.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Regards

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk