Author Topic: Kearney/Carney Family Belfast Antim/Liverpool!!  (Read 904 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kearney/Carney Family Belfast Antim/Liverpool!!
« on: Wednesday 31 December 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone!!

Interested in anyone who knows or is related to Nicholas Carney who was born in Liverpool, his fathers name was also Nicholas and his mothers name Margaret.

Nicholas the son who was born in Liverpool about 1853/1854 as he was aged 7 in the 1861 census married a Margaret Kennedy in Belfast Antrim Ireland on 28/05/1875 in Ireland the spelling of his surname is Kearney.

If anyone knows anything about this family please contact me as my grandmother was the daughter of the above Nicholas and Margaret Carney who I know ended up in Glagow/Lanark area and Dundee.

Both Nicholas and his wife died in Scotland, Nicholas in 1911 aged 57  in Glasgow and Margaret aged 70 in 1934 in Dundee.

Betty

Offline GlitteringPrize

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kearney/Carney Family Belfast Antim/Liverpool!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 January 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty

I don't know the family at all, but I thought it might be an idea to try to trace the family forwards. I have recently done this and found that my gr grandfather emigrated to Austraila.

Using Free BMD I looked up births for the surname in the area I knew they were living and found the children of some of my gr grangfathers siblings. I was left with a few which were registered before the mothers surname was included in the indexes. I then used Genes Reunited and Ancestry to see if I could find any matches to the "unknown mother" children and found one on Ancestry who was born in the right area but died in Australia. I contacted the owner of the tree and found that my gr grandfathers brother had emigrated and they were able to help me find army records to prove my gr grandfather was there too.

Unfortunately they don't have any more information on my gr grandfather but I was able to make contact with family this way which has been fantastic.

Hope this helps.

:)
BOYD (../Croydon/Frederick G b 1892, Silas b 1859&15);   
DIXON  (LIN/Barton on Humber/Alice b 1884, John b1857, Richard b 1819);   
MCDONNELL  (YKS/Leeds, Kingston Upon Hull/Peter b 1842, Edward b 1883);   
MURDY  (DUR/Hetton, Hough'n L S, Lambton, Sunderland/Thomas b1822, William H A b 1869);   
PALFREY  (LND/Paddington/Linda M b1885);   
TAYLOR  (NBL/Ellingham/Jonathan b1841, Moses b 1800, John

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kearney/Carney Family Belfast Antim/Liverpool!!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 09 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi GlitteringPrize,

Thanks for your reply!!

I can't trace the family forward really as I already know my mother was Mary Carney's daughter and my uncle Thomas her son.  I know when and where she married and have both her marriage and death details

I have traced the family backward and got stuck as soon as I started, my gran Mary Carney married in Dundee 1903 her sister Catherine Carney married in Dundee 1906, I found the deaths of their father Nicholas in Lanarkshire 1911 then I found the death of their mother in Dundee 1934.

The problem started trying to find the family in Ireland and to find my grandmothers birth and also her sisters birth and the marriage of the parents in Belfast Antrim.

I found the parents name was Kearney not Carney in Ireland they married in Belfast Antrim 28/05/1875 but I could not find the births of  my grandmother Mary the daughter or Catherine but now I have found their births in Belfast Antrim.

Betty