Author Topic: Bryn Shack COMPLETED  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bryn Shack
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 January 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Solicitors will make charges for land searches, I believe.

The reservoir (if I have the right place) was opened in 1927 - you could try the local council to see if any planning applications name the property you're after, or local papers (the Brecon and Radnor Express I think).

Have you tried contacting anyone in the area to see if they recall a property of that name?

Will keep thinking, as this one is intriguing!

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 January 09 12:43 GMT (UK) »
This is helpful!

The property I found on Old-maps was near Bethlehem chapel ...

http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/pontsticill.htm

The Ponsticll Reservoir was completed in 1927. The constructing the reservoir involved the flooding of the land belonging to eight farms, as well as some cottages and small holdings. Under the reservoir are scattered houses, the vicarage, Capel Taf Fechan, the 15th century Dolygaer church and a Congregational chapel. The graveyard of Capel Bethlehem was moved, its memorials have been recorded and are held by Merthyr Libraries.

I would think contacting Merthyr Library would be profitable!

8)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 January 09 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh you're good Arranroots!
Well done, and thanks.
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 January 09 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Well I have enjoyed the chase - I do hope you discover the property still above water - please let us know!

:)

Offline vaynor71

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 February 09 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello
The property you are looking for is not Bryn Shack but actually Bryn Shank.
Bryn Shank was a farm situated in the parish of Llandetty on the east bank of the Taf Fechan river. The river formed the boundary between the parish of Llandetty and Vaynor.
The Watkins family are recorded as owning and occupying Bryn Shank in 1841, but by 1851 the occupiers were the Thomas family.
Sadly the farm is no longer in existence as the land was flooded for the construction of the Taf Fechan reservoir. If your looking at the site today, then the farm was around the area that the present Merthyr Tydfil sailing club occupies just on the eastern bank of the reservoir, there is a stone building that the sailing club use as a boat house which may have been part of the farm.
I really Hope this helps if you need anymore information just let me know.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 February 09 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vaynor

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

Thanks for the local expertise - shame about the watery situation of the property but at least we suspected it was "in the drink".

Just out of curiosity, can you help out with the meaning of "shank" - my Welsh isn't up to that.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)