Author Topic: Tavistock CROSSMAN  (Read 43983 times)

Offline amackean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock CROSSMAN
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 April 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne Mackean here - got your message on ancestry.

Well this is all very interesting.  I did not have any idea that Margaret Jago (nee Kinsman) had two children out of wedlock.

You think that Eliza Kinsman b 1817 took on the name Jago later on.  Do you know what happened to the other child Joseph b 1820. I ask this because THomas and Margaret's last born child (that I have) was named Joseph Tucker Jago. Now theres another name (Tucker) to thro into the discussion.

Regards
Anne (Western Australia)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 April 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Joseph KINSMAN was buried at Tavistock 30 Nov 1822 aged 3, so presumably he was born in 1819 and she didn't baptise him until May 1820. I also found a baptism for an Elizabeth Crocker KINSMAN dau of Caleb & Susanna of Barley Market St in 1829, and her subsequent burial in 1830 as ELizabeth Croker KINSMAN, so it would appear that the  Crocker/Croker connection is on the Kinsman side.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock KINSMAN CROKER
« Reply #29 on: Friday 10 April 09 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks DOB7,  can you find the marriage of Caleb KINSMAN and Susanna?

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 10 April 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, he married Susanna CROCKER 31 Mar 1828 at East Stonehouse Church (St. George's).

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock KINSMAN CROCKER?CROKER
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 April 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks DOB7, I thought that would be the case, and in the 1871 census of Morwellham St Pauls Tavistock, the home of widowed Eliza CROSSMAN, there is Susanah KINSMAN, a visitor, also widowed, aged 64 b. Launceston CON.  So I think it all falls nicely into place.  Thanks very much and I hope we can make some progress with the Crossman lineage when i hear back from the Devon record Office.  Happy Easter!

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock CROSSMAN burials
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 April 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello DOB7,  to see if they had a middle name and/or abode, please would you look up the burials in Tavistock PRs of:
Robert CROSSMAN Jul-Sep 1869
John CROSSMAN Jan-Mar 1853
John CROSSMAN Jul-Sep 1859

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 11 April 09 21:15 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to burials after 1839. They were probably buried in the Dolvin Road Cemetery, and a transcription of the burial register is available at the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office.

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 April 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks DOB7 for the information regarding bap of Eliza KINSMAN / JAGO later CROSSMAN.
What super very *friendly* personhing your work has certainly broken down 'a brick wall'.

Regarding your post 8.4.09
"Kelly Parish 21 Sept 1803 George CROSSMAN = Elizabeth JAGO"
Is there any further information available on the record?

Well perhaps another Jago link! (the year would seem suitable). Are they any baptisms in the same register for their children?

Where is Kelly Parish? (Apologies my geography of the area is sparse)

It may be that George CROSSMAN and Elizabeth had possibly six children, from John born 1801 (possibly christened 1804) until Robert born circa 1815. On the census Robert always gives his place of birth as Tavistock but John the first born (if I have the correct person) usually gave Tavistock as his place of birth but on the 1871 census says Whitchurch as his place of birth (but maybe I have a different John)

Thank you again for your hard work. Happy Easter.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 April 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry, the Kelly record is only from an index - no more information shown. Details about Kelly (which is 7 miles from Tavistock) can be found at:
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Kelly/index.html - if you scroll down to 'Genealogy' you'll find out how to contact the online parish clerk for the parish who will provide free look-ups and may be able to elaborate further.