Author Topic: Looking For Joseph Owram in USA - Again  (Read 13237 times)

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Joseph Owram in USA
« Reply #45 on: Friday 02 January 09 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Just shows - land of opportunity Ferry man to Farmer to ? to Accountant
Suffolk - Reynolds,Bishop,Peck,Burrows,Smith,Chittock,Gardner,Adams
Derbyshire - Woolley,Newton,Ratcliffe,Brown,Moore,Wright,Rowland,Leech,Leach
Norfolk - Chandler,Dixon, Moore, Bone, Payne
Notts - Ward,Walters,Browne,Norman,Lee
Yorks - Robinson,Owram, Beck, Micklethwaite
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Joseph Owram in USA
« Reply #46 on: Friday 02 January 09 22:30 GMT (UK) »
You never know do you  :D

On the 1900 census he is an accountant and he and Hattie were married in 1880.

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline jandishon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Joseph Owram in USA - Completed with Thanks
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 07 August 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
I am curious about  the posting: Oram, Jenne Sturdevant (1825-1907) d/o Sam Sturdevant (pg. two by Shellyesq) Maybe  someone out there can help me out.  I am not related but was passing through Toledo, Oregon on Aug. 3rd, saw the cemetery sign so stopped and took a few photos to post on line.  I found the marker for Jennie P. Owram but it was broken and there was one name I couldn't read.  I will type what was on the marker and leave a blank for the name I couldn't read in hopes that someone out there can fill in the blank.
Owram, Jennie P.  born Nancy Phedora Cra_______  or Gra____
Oct. 24, 1824 - April 26, 1907
Married "Elder" Lester Starr
         Children:
   Lester Starr, Ina Starr Sturdevant
Married Joseph Owram
          Child:
 Minnie Alice Owram Murray 

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 07 August 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,

Interesting info - Could Joseph Owram be her second husbund. Dob and Dod are slightly differant

but they look like the same people, wilhave to dig deeper

woolley
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline jandishon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 07 August 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
It appears as though Joseph was the second husband.  What is a mystery to me that I hope I can clear up is what her actual birth name was.  I did find a listing of burials in the Toledo, Oregon cemetery that lists her as Jenne Sturdevant Oram (Oram is spelled differently than the marker) with father as Sam Sturdevant.  But the marker says her birth name was something elise

It was unfortunate that the plastic marker was broken.  I tried to clean out some of the dirt but didn't want to damage it further.  The posting said her father was Sturdevant  but I wonder if he adopted her or if her birth surname could have been her mothers surname.  According to the marker her birth name was Nancy Phedora
Cra___ or Gra__.  Hopefully we can deterine what that name actually was.

Another interesting thing is that her daughter from Lester Small was Ina Starr Sturdevant.

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 07 August 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
New topic started. Give people a chance to see thr new info from jandishon

woolley
Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline Dlorah Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Joseph Owram in USA - Again
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 16 January 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.  I am one of the great-great-grand-daughters of Joseph Owram. (*)

I could provide clarity on the questions raised in this discussion courtesy of an excellent family history, published about 2 years ago, called "Murray Loop: The Journey of an Oregon Family", by Ted Cox.  There are photographs of Joseph Owram and wonderful richly detailed stories of family history going all of the way back to Scotland and England (by way of Canada).  I will provide a link to the website for the book and I will try to get around to scanning some of the photos.  I have other photos in my personal collection of Minnie and her husband Hugh, my grandfather Dave Murray, and others if anyone is interested.  My mother is (Barbara) June Hunt (ne Wilken, ne Murray), Dave Murray's daughter, Minnie's grand-daughter, Joseph Owram's g-g-grand-daughter.

http://www.oldworldpublications.com/murrayloop/

Here is an excerpt from Chapter 4 of "Murray Loop":

Joseph Owram grew up in Barnsley, England. A relatively small and somewhat frail child, he had three brothers and a sister. Joseph’s parents wanted to ensure their sons learned a trade, so in 1840 when Joseph was fourteen, his parents apprenticed him to a tailor. For seven years Joseph spent long hours sitting cross-legged on a bench, learning to sew instead of working in the out-of-doors he loved. In 1847 he turned twenty-one and finished his apprenticeship.

Free to earn his own living, Joseph decided to immigrate to the United States. As he prepared to leave England, he packed the scissors and tools vital to his trade, including a heavy black iron.13 The iron had a swinging door at the back so the hollow base could be filled with hot coals and emptied when the ashes cooled.

Since Joseph’s father had already visited the United States at least once looking for work, Joseph had some idea of what to expect when he arrived. Little is known about Joseph’s early years in the United States, since family records yield little information about how or where he lived. He married an Englishwoman named Harriet (Hattie) about 1854, and the two settled in Burlington Flats, New York, where they had two children, George and Alice.

Burlington Flats was roughly eight miles north of Plainfield, home to Nancy and Lester Starr. Both were small communities so it seems reasonable that the Starrs and Owrams knew each other. In describing Joseph and Jennie’s relationship, granddaughter Alice writes that the two had met while Joseph was still married to Hattie.

Joseph Owram’s history is a bit obscure between 1860 and 1866. At some point during these years he and Hattie separated, although they remained good friends. Both of them were living in Berlin Heights, Ohio, when Jennie Starr was living there, too. There aren’t any records tying Joseph directly to the free love movement, but his lifestyle fits well with their beliefs. His separation and continued friendship with Hattie, his vegetarian diet, and his devotion to the abolition of slavery set him apart from many men of his time. So did his choice of residence. Joseph’s idealism fit well with the goals and aims of free love. So he would have been drawn to Berlin Heights for many reasons.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Information about recent death removed.  Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline woolley

• RootsChat Member
  • Gone but not Forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 16 January 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Diorah,

Joseph's sister, Sarah was my GGGrandmother, so would love to see a photo of him and Minnie.

Tried to obtain the book in England but without success so far

Scotland - McDowall
Ireland - Hassett

Offline Dlorah Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 16 January 11 22:01 GMT (UK) »
When I wrote to the author via the website about a year ago, the email got bounced back.  There may be some problem with the website.  I will be traveling to Oregon this coming week for my uncle's funeral and I will attempt to obtain another copy of the book to send you, or better contact information for the author.  I just realized that I misspoke when I said that I was Joseph's g-g-grandaughter.  That should have been 3 gs.

Joseph, Jennie and Minnie visited Joseph's mother in England 1870, and were there for her 81st birthday.

I will be glad to send photos.