Author Topic: les tolpott,rag and bone man.  (Read 1098 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
les tolpott,rag and bone man.
« on: Thursday 01 January 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
im seeking info on les tolpott,he was a rag and bone man who had a yard in whitstable in the 1950/60s.he went out calling every day with a horse and cart.if anyone has any general info on him and his family id be grateful,thanks,nel.(tolpott might not be right spelling,but it sounds similar).

Offline WHITSTABLE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: les tolpott,rag and bone man.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 November 09 13:25 GMT (UK) »
hi, my family are from whitstable ,my mum new the family well and had a daughtr who my mum made friends with, he had a big yard his wife wouled cut all the buttons from the clothing that thay had been given, thay had a dog that wouled chase its tail mum wouled often go out with les and his daughter on the cart, and remembers that when he came down the road calling rag and bone everyone wouled run outside with a bucket to collect the horse manure, , hope this helps a little , :)liz.
reserching ,surnames shingleston, hawkins, jordan, hudson ,pout, blackman wetherly, epps, baker, port, porter, rowden.goodwin, whitehead colley church.dorgan, in kent

cave, hansford in cornwall,lee  in shropshire

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Liz,

my Nans Brother was George (Joe) Camburn,he married Flo Regan from Stepney and they lived next to Les yard,i think it was in Albert Street or something like that.

One of Georges Brothers,i think it was Alf (Joe),was also friends with Les,i believe he married Mary Osborn.

Ive no idea whether Les had traveller origins,very possible given his occupation,but he sounded like a great character all the same,

Hope to hear from you again

Nel.

Offline WHITSTABLE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 November 09 16:54 GMT (UK) »
hi, i will ask my mum , but im sure he was just a rag n bone man , he was well known , like some of your family mine was allso mariners or oystermen not sure if theres any travleing people in the family at the moment , but ive found one of my great great grandmothers maiden name was lee, but not found much on her side yet , have so many ancesters to find and so much info not even my parents knew, think it was you that mentioned epps ,i have epps on my dads side of the family came from canterbury married a baker , still not got that far as to look on that side it takes a long time , any way i will ask my mum about les . :) liz .
reserching ,surnames shingleston, hawkins, jordan, hudson ,pout, blackman wetherly, epps, baker, port, porter, rowden.goodwin, whitehead colley church.dorgan, in kent

cave, hansford in cornwall,lee  in shropshire

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 November 09 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Liz,

ive posted replies to your other posts as well.

I also have Bakers,some travellers,some not.Same with Epps.

Nel.