Author Topic: CIRCUS - Henry Luigi Boswell  (Read 49175 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CIRCUS - Henry Luigi Boswell
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Quote from earlier page

That would have been Nellie, born Paris 1858, where her Dad was 'all the rage' as a clown. The late John Turner had entries for both Nellie and Lilly so I don't think they are the same person. Various anecdotal sources have her mentioned as married to Alf Whitmee but I have never found Lily (Lilly) in any official record  :'(

Ellen (Nellie) Clara Boswell (Mrs Cattle)
Equestrienne and character act rider. Daughter of James Clements Boswell and Rebecca Cooke. Married Frederick Cattle. First noted at Hengler's, in Hull, in 1874, but continued to appear with Hengler's until 1892. Famous for her deliniation. on  horseback, of first a Newhaven Fishwife,, then a Jolly Young Waterrman and thirdly a Highland Laddie, changing her costumes with great rapidity, dancing a hornpipe and a Scottish reel with as much ease and grace as if she were on terra firma, to the music of old airs.

When in Liverpool, in 1876, it was written that, 'The easily recognised somewhat stolid- looking animal which is specially used for feats of ~ kind, is led to the side of the ring. Immediately following appears a good-looking and unpretentious young lady, appropriately clad in a tunic and  trousers of crimson silk, who from the ring makes her salute to the audience. Without further delay, she is on the broad, flat saddle, sitting in an easy posture with the most perfect composure as the canter round the ring commences. This quiescent state is not of long duration; soon she is standing where she sat, now on one foot, now on the other, in a series of attitudes which, besides exhibiting her complete mastery of the equestrian difficulties of the situation are eminently graceful in themselves. Then she rides from the ring and there comes an interval of 'clown' whilst a second scene is in preperation. Another scene on horseback was 'The daughter of the regiment'

Mother of William Frederick Cattle (known as Du Calion) Walter and Claude
 Died May 1938 aged 80 yrs .(Ref: Victorian Arena by Dr John Turner)

i am looking for the buriel place of ellen clara cattle nee boswell.she died in 1938 in blackburn lancashire.but would love to know exactly where she is buried.
can anyone help please??
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Donna Marshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 16 April 16 21:50 BST (UK) »
hi, iv noticed your post about nellie cattle/boswell. she was my great grandmother and i am awaiting a map of her grave/cemetary in lancs to arrive. i can share the info with you when it arrives . donna marshall nee cattle.  e mail     (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Donna Marshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 16 April 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
got it she is in leyton cemetary  section K/CE number 816 if you visit could you send me a pic please thank you donna

Offline Geraldine Slabbert

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi guys my name is Memory FETOUH, the Boswells are family of mine i'm trying to find my Mom's family Brian was my Mom's cousin my mom passed away 21 years ago we lived in Durban  South Africa my mom had a sister named Sarah so from Durban can u maybe  help me
Regards

Offline helib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 09 September 21 02:00 BST (UK) »
Regarding Lilly Boswell ......... I am beginning to wonder myself if she even existed ;-) Here is one of the many anecddotal pieces of evidence that I have, it's from an old circus book and lists Lilly as a daughter of J.C.Boswell (1826/59) and brother to J.C.Boswell II (1853/1926) ........ some of the Cooke Family tree has been re-arranged since the discovery of WWCole's will. The late Dr John Turner also obviously believed she existed, he has her listed as a daughter of J.C.Boswell (1826/59) in his book "Victorian Arena - the Performers"

I am trying to find Frederick Cooke, who was performing in Schumann Circus in Norway 1880-1881. A baby girl was born in 1881 in Oslo and he was registred as the father, 35 years old. Can this be the Fred Cooke, son of Alfred?

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 03 September 23 14:28 BST (UK) »
Fred was in Manchester in 1881, so he has an alibi ;-)

1881 Census:

34 Queens Rd, Hastings St Mary In The Castle, Sussex
PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1024 Folio 55 Page 36

Frederick COOKE M 31 M Manchester, Head, Equestrian Performer
Kate COOKE M 31 F London, Middlesex, Wife
Emily COOKE 7 F Cardiff, Wales, Daur
Daisy COOKE 6 F Cardiff, Wales, Daur
Paulina COOKE 5 F Hastings, Sussex, Daur
Eugenie SULLY U 27 M Ipswich, Bro In Law, Equestrian

COOKE, James Frederick.  Equestrian and equestrian manager.  Son of Alfred Cooke (1821- 1854), brother of George Ernest and Hubert Cooke.  Noted at Tom Batty's Great London Circus, 1876, as equestrian manager and riding as the Eclipse Jockey.

Offline helib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 03 September 23 21:55 BST (UK) »
The baby girl was born 12th of May 1881, this means the baby was made fall 1880. At that time an equestrian named Frederick Cooke was in Kristiania (Oslo) and performed with Circus Schumann. Attached is article in Norwegian newspaper on his amazing performance. In all birth registration, baptism, confirmation papers, the father is named Frederick Cooke, living in England and equestrian. The article of is amazing performance is here: https://www.nb.no/items/2cee564e5fd2d9f4efe3facb9608d1fc (in Norwegian"