Author Topic: CIRCUS - Henry Luigi Boswell  (Read 49182 times)

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My grandmother, life in India
    • View Profile
Re: CIRCUS - Henry Luigi Boswell
« Reply #45 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Morning deb.... not a long chalk of Lilly is Nellie.... have we found her on any census.... ...hmmmmm ???

what year was that Circus Historical Society referring to when they refer to Nellie as a rider in your previous post ?

Altho Nellie is Eleanor and Lilly is Lilian ???

Debz 
Cutcliffe- Devon
Courtenay Powderham Castle
Barnard -Oxford and Claines
Tollet - Begbroke
Gamble and Clement Calcutta
SHAW-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
WILD-BETHNAL GREEN,MIDDLESEX
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Deb....
check out 1871 census Melley Boswell  born Paris 1860 living in Suffolk with John Wells RIDING MASTER....i can't read the other details..i saw this the other day but foolishly dismissed it  :-[

some of the Boswells were at Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk in 71 ...not that far away.

What do you reckon Deb .....???

Got to dash to work...back soon... when get up  ;)

Debzzzzzzz...need caffeine

Cutcliffe- Devon
Tollet - Begbroke
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debz

That would have been Nellie, born Paris 1858, where her Dad was 'all the rage' as a clown. The late John Turner had entries for both Nellie and Lilly so I don't think they are the same person. Various anecdotal sources have her mentioned as married to Alf Whitmee but I have never found Lily (Lilly) in any official record  :'(

Ellen (Nellie) Clara Boswell (Mrs Cattle)
Equestrienne and character act rider. Daughter of James Clements Boswell and Rebecca Cooke. Married Frederick Cattle. First noted at Hengler's, in Hull, in 1874, but continued to appear with Hengler's until 1892. Famous for her deliniation. on  horseback, of first a Newhaven Fishwife,, then a Jolly Young Waterrman and thirdly a Highland Laddie, changing her costumes with great rapidity, dancing a hornpipe and a Scottish reel with as much ease and grace as if she were on terra firma, to the music of old airs.

When in Liverpool, in 1876, it was written that, 'The easily recognised somewhat stolid- looking animal which is specially used for feats of ~ kind, is led to the side of the ring. Immediately following appears a good-looking and unpretentious young lady, appropriately clad in a tunic and  trousers of crimson silk, who from the ring makes her salute to the audience. Without further delay, she is on the broad, flat saddle, sitting in an easy posture with the most perfect composure as the canter round the ring commences. This quiescent state is not of long duration; soon she is standing where she sat, now on one foot, now on the other, in a series of attitudes which, besides exhibiting her complete mastery of the equestrian difficulties of the situation are eminently graceful in themselves. Then she rides from the ring and there comes an interval of 'clown' whilst a second scene is in preperation. Another scene on horseback was 'The daughter of the regiment'

Mother of William Frederick Cattle (known as Du Calion) Walter and Claude
 Died May 1938 aged 80 yrs .(Ref: Victorian Arena by Dr John Turner)

Offline DJFRENCH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 12 January 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
oh sorry ...i haven't been paying enough attention have i !!!

sorry..i've been really busy organising a party for my dad's 80th birthday on saturday... and my eldest son is coming home to live with us again for year  :o  and so my brain cells are frazzled !!

Debz...it's certainly a history which is fascinating  :)
Cutcliffe- Devon
Tollet - Begbroke
GAMBLE-BARNSTABLE.DEVON

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 06:45 GMT (UK) »
oh sorry ...i haven't been paying enough attention have i !!

Oh I don't know. Seems like you have your priorities in the correct order to me  :)
kind regards and good luck with the Party (and the returning Son)

Jim

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim, Debz and everyone

i found this snippet of info re The Chipperfields

James Chipperfield, travelling showman, at Llangefni for passing through a turnpike gate without paying a toll. Ordered to pay £1 plus 14/- costs forthwith or be imprisoned at H.M.P. Carnarvon for one month hard labour (Summary Conviction: May 28, 1888: Anglesey Quarter Sessions)

http://members.shaw.ca/pauline777/Misc.html

Thanks to Tiggi for the link

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 15 January 09 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Deb.
I already had that one before (and the one below). It's hard to tell if this is my Great Grandfather or his father (my GGreat Grandfather) as the were both on the road and both called James. No relationship to the Boswells (until my sister Jane married Brian)  ;D

Shropshire archives Ref QR576/211

In the County of Salop - Petty Sessional Divison of Newport

Before the Court of Summary Jurisdiction sitting at Newport the 17th Day of January 1888 ............

James Chipperfield hereinafter called the defendant is this day convicted for that he on the twenty seventy day of December last at the parish of Newport with the County aforesaid unlawfully and wilfully did obstruct the free passage of a certain highway there situate by then and there placing five vans, a show and a stall thereon and suffering the same to be and remain thereon for a long and unreasonable time to wit ten hours and without just cause contrary to the statute in such case made and provided. And it is adjudged that he defendant for his said offence do forfit and pay the sum of six pence and do also pay the further sum of ten shillings for costs forthwith. And that in default of payment it is so adjudged that the sum due under this adudication be levied by distress and sale of the defendants goods and in default of sufficient disgress that the defendant be imprisoned in Her Majesty's prison at Stafford for the space of seven days unless the said sums and all costs and charges of the said distress and commitment and of his conveyance to the said prison by soonest paid

Offline rram

• RootsChat Extra
  • Lyle Marr, 2nd left
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
Regarding Lyle Boswell......... she was married to Texas Jack. He ran a circus in South Africa in the early 1900s and once, assisted by Will Rogers and Clarence Cooke, roped and rode a wild zebra for a bet ! When Texas Jack died in 1905, Lyle (nee Marr) married Walter Boswell.

Lyle Marr is in my genealogy.  My records show she was the eldest sibling and had at least six brothers and two sisters:  Nellie and Lilly.   Lyle had a daughter Thelma by Walter Boswell.

Lyle apparently was the circus sharpshooter in Texas Jack's show.  She had met him in England, where she was born.  Her daughter Thelma became a tightrope walker.  Lyle got religious in later life when she lived in Johannesburg and later Durban.

I couldn't find a way to send a PM to JStockley, so I made my first post here.  Please let JStockley know.  Thanks.
Marr/Marrs: England before 1900, esp. Northwich, Cheshire, possibly Cumberland.
Duffill: England before 1918, esp. Croyden, Wandsworth, London

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hello rram,

That is fascinating stuff! I would love to chat with you some more about this? I would really like to know more about all of this side of the family and look forward to hearing from you.

I have sent you a PM with my email address (you get to send PMs by clicking on the little squiggle under the posters name, on the left, next to the little icon that takes you to their profile? hold your cursor over it and it should say "send PM")

What Country are you in?

kindest regards

Jim