Author Topic: McNamara - Co. Clare  (Read 44761 times)

Offline cheecky face

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNamara - Co. Clare
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 June 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
hello norag,
will ask my frend if she has a samuel mcnamara in her tree. were michael smith and mary maloney born in ireland? i am a regular visitor to dublin archives.

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 June 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
Born in Ireland?
I assume so because their child, Mary McNamara, on  her marriage certificate to Michael smith, says born in Co Clare.
Same for Michael  he says Co Clare too. She was only 18 when she married, he was 27.
In her case at least it would be reasonable to assume she immigrated with her parents, probably Michael did the same.  The ships were coming from Clare to Sydney 1849 to 1869.

Parents on both sides have signed the certificate, and both say they are  farmers.

So I conclude they all came  from Co Clare but already well settled in Moorolbark or there-a-bouts by the wedding in 1861? Norag

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 June 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
My McNamara's came from Crusheen also. Will check records and come back tomorrow.

Regards Ann

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cheeky Face

Yes every little helps even if it to eliminate possibilities.
No None of our family were in Scotland at that time.  Norag

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 00:06 BST (UK) »
When i read my post: dont worry about  the abundance  of Mc Namaras  I am looking for a Smith.  I meant it as a joke.. If there are so many Mc Namaras how many more smiths must there be.
But as I read it posted it sounds rude ,so sorry if anyone offended.  Norag

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
My McNamara's start with Margaret, born Lochananbrone in c1838. She married a Michael Joseph Butler at st Cronans in 1872. Their first son, Patrick, was born there the following year and they moved to England soon after. 

Margaret's parents were John McNamara (a farmer, b Drumaneen c1810   d Lochananbrone 1878) and  Mary (? b c1816     d1907). They had at least 4 other children - 

James (c1830), 

Ann (c1832)

Thady/Timothy (c1835) and

John (c1842)  - who married a Catherine O'keefe in Crusheen parish church in 1867. They had 8 children - Timothy , James Mary Michael, John, Bridget, Catherine and Thomas, all born between 1867 and 1890 in or around the Lochananbrone area.

The family tale is our McNamara's lived at Stonepark house, which subsequently passed to the O'keefes.

John senior's mother is thought to have been Bridget, (1787-1864) but I know nothing about his father. He had at least one brother, James, who possibly married a Mary Maley.

Apparently, Loughanabrone no longer exists except as a local name. The area is now called Caheraphuca (also spelled Caherafooka, Caherapooka in 19th c.) Translated from the Gaelic, Lougahanabrone it literally means “The little lake of sorrow” possibly indicating there was a drowning there at some stage. But the lake itself no longer exists.

Hope some of that helps someone.

Offline norag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ann in the UK.  I will see if tghat fits at all with the few facts we have.  Norag

Offline GMylett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 June 10 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary n Rob,

The shipping records show that Patrick and family came from Fouble, Clare.

Michael and family came from Takill, Clare.

You can find the original documents under Assisted Immigration at any family history centre (or on-line through Ancestry).

All the best,
Gail

Offline roweeee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 July 12 04:25 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of John McNamara and Margaret Welsh who came out on the Bussorah Merchant leaving Plymouth 3rd February, 1850.
It has been some years since I have been working on my McNamara research. However, I have just been to their property London Bridge at Burra near Queanbeyan on a trip back from the snow and I wanted to include some of the family history info in my write up of our visit. I am descended from their son John McNamara who married Elizabeth Johnston, the niece of Alexander Johnston who built the railway from Goulburn to Queanbeyan (maybe as far as Cooma). They had eight daughters. and moved to Sydney.
I did most of my research before the Internet really took off and am revisiting it again now hoping to full in a few gaps. I have quite a lot of info so this is really just to get started.
Best wishes,
Rowena