Author Topic: McNamara - Co. Clare  (Read 44772 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNamara - Co. Clare
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you hallmark  :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 July 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
Edited: couldn't modify previous???

Now whether John came out alone or with brothers I don't know. But he was in Kapunda by 1866. An interesting side note, when John died the person listed as witness was a John Murnane.

If anyone can clarify the naming pattern or recognises any names it would help immensely.

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline billjackson100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 04:57 GMT (UK) »
my wife is a McNamara from Co. Clare and seems to be related to your blood line, as you describe it.
her family moved to Keokuk, Iowa.
here's the obit from CHIC TRIB for the Judge in the family, whose father came from Co Clare:
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1939/10/25/page/27/article/obituary-1-no-title
can we compare notes?
have you published a family tree?

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 07 April 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
I am one on the admins for the R-L226 haplogroup project at FTDNA. L226 is the second largest Irish haplogroup in Ireland and is associated with the Dal Cais. We now have 522 testers that match the L226 signature and where Irish ancestry is known, 80 % originate from Counties Tipperrary, Clare, Limerick, Cork and Kerry.

There is one branch of McNamara's in this group (five McNamara belong to one of the 46 branches under L226, DC189). The label DC was used to represent the Dal Cais. L226 is now so extensively YDNA tested that I am now able to reliably connect how 80 % of the 522 testers are related. Here is a link to the page where five McNamara testers have been assigned to:

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L226/Haplotrees/L226_Home.pdf#Page=16

If you test 67 markers at FTDNA, you would immediately know if you belong to the Dal Cais (line of King Brian Boru) and this particular branch of McNamara testers. If you match, you would have these testers in your matching report and could contact them via email to share genealogies to try to connect your lines together.
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline RowenaCurtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,
Great to find your contribution here. I am descended from John McNamara and Margaret Walsh.•   John McNamara was born in County Clare in 1813. His parents were Patrick McNamara and Mary Walsh.

•   John married Margaret Welsh in Ennis, County Claire in 1845. Margaret was the daughter of Michael Welsh and Mary O'Loughlin.

•   They had two children in Ireland. Patrick was born in 1847 and John in 1849 in  the Parish of Flagmont.

•   In 1850, the McNamara family emigrated to Australia. They travelled on board the Bussorah Merchant, leaving  Plymouth 3rd February, 1850. They arrived in Port Phillip, Melbourne on the 26th June, 1850 - 144 days later.

•   John McNamara became a tenant farmer on Dr James Murray's Woden property, along with a number of other Irish families from County Clare. 

•   The McNamara’s first lived at Rosedale. Their lease lands extended down the river to the Red Hill property of William Beatty. In 1863, John McNamara purchased Badgery's 651 acre block on the Queanbeyan River as well as 517 acres at Black Siding block. The latter purchase included London Bridge and the original huts and house erected for Hutchison’s employees. The McNamaras built another homestead at London Bridge, which was occupied by John McNamara Senior, while John Jnr continued to live at Rosedale.
You are probably familiar with this family.
I have recently come across a new Queenbeyan McNamara connection, while researching Irish Famine Orphan Girls. There were two McNamara sisters who came out to Australia. Here are the details:
•   Surname : McNamara
•   First Name : Catherine
•   Age on arrival : 18
•   Native Place : Innes [Ennis], Clare
•   Parents : John & Catherine (both dead)
•   Religion : Roman Catholic
•   Ship name : Thomas Arbuthnot (Sydney 1850)
•   Workhouse : Clare, Ennis
•   Other : shipping: house servant, reads, no relatives in colony, sister Bridget also on Thomas Arbuthnot. Empl as house servant by J. McVitey, Primrose Valley, Molonglo, £8, 1 year; married John Lambkin, Queanbeyan, 18 Feb 1856; 10 children; died Molonglo 1884 [Reid & Mongan, 'A Decent Set of Girls']

•   Surname : McNamara
•   First Name : Bridget
•   Age on arrival : 16
•   Native Place : Innes [Ennis], Clare
•   Parents : John & Catherine (both dead)
•   Religion : Roman Catholic
•   Ship name : Thomas Arbuthnot (Sydney 1850)
•   Workhouse : Clare, Ennis
•   Other : shipping: house servant, reads, no relatives in colony, sister Catherine also on Thomas Arbuthnot; empl as house servant by F Tumbrell, Marengo, Burrowa, £8, 1 year; married George Terry, Arkstone, 28 Jul 1851, witnessed by her employer; possibly 2 children in 1858.

I hope you will see this message and get in touch.
Best wishes,
Rowena

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Rowena,

There are ten YDNA testers that are McNamara at 67 markers or higher. The first column is the FTDNA kit number, the second column is the surname of the oldest proven ancestor, the third column is the FTDNA project where found and the fourth column is the branch under L226 that they are either confirmed or predicted to belong to.

f260590   MacNamara   R-L226   C-DC31
fB104328   McNamara   R-L226   C-DC189
f424282   McNamara   R-L226   C-DC189
f309786   McNamara   R-L226   C-DC340
f453608   McNamara   R-L226   C-DC340
f731877   McNamara   R-L226   P-DC189
f793124   McNamara   R-L226   P-DC340
f745552   McNamara   R-L226   UNKX22
f162354   McNamara   paste-McNam   UNKX7
f553712   McNamarra   Sullivan   P-DC189

As you can see four belong to the branch DC189 and three belong to DC340 which is the son of DC189. Also, one tester belongs to DC31 which is distantly related around 1,400 years ago. Also, there are two testers that do not match anyone else out of 626 testers currently known.

As far as geographical ties, we know that L226 became prolific in offspring around 1,500 years ago and 80 % that have known ties to counties in Europe have Clare, Tipperary, Kerry and Cork listed. Another 10 % are from other parts of Ireland (recent migration) and the last 10 % are primarily located in England (very recent migration). These are ties to Europe as most of these testers are from the US and other former British colonies.

I highly recommend testing your male McNamara at 67 markers which would let you know which of these lines you are most closely related to as shown in the chart below:

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L226/Haplotrees/L226_Home.pdf#Page=20

Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline RowenaCurtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 06 January 18 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,
Thanks for your message. Thanks for the information about the DNA tests. My initial difficulty is finding a male in my family who doesn't subscribe to conspiracy theories and doesn't mind coughing up their DNA. Uncle's diabetic and his wife offered to give me some of his blood but felt that was underhand.
The question I have on the McNamara front is that we don't have any McNamara males in our bloodline at all. Our last direct male was John McNamara was born in 1849 in the Parish of Flagmount, County Clare, Ireland. He had 8 daughters.
I am thinking this would preclude us from the McNamara DNA test.
Many thanks and best wishes,
Rowena