Author Topic: Buying a new PC - advice please.  (Read 8809 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new PC - advice please.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 04 January 09 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I must say I agree with Nick on this one - but what do I know (very little if you go by this thread!!  ;D).

Someone bought me a wireless mouse for Christmas a couple of years back, but it just wouldn't work. I'm hoping that , if I go for the PC package I've seen from PC World....

Jill, by all means window shop in PC World, but please don't buy from them.  They're cr ...... err, rubbish !   :-\

Far better to get it from a local shop, where you'll get better service, or if you're brave, go to Ebuyer or Overclockers and get a better price  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 05 January 09 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I hear what you're saying, Nick.

I have no particular axe to grind against PC World but I believe they're in the same company as Currys & Dixons, neither of which have a very good reputation for after sales care.

However, you may have gathered that I don't really have the expertise to put a package together for myself + I don't know of any local computer shops (local shops? are there any left? all our local greengrocers, butchers, bakers etc have disappeared) and I need delivery as I don't have transport.

Once I've decided what I want, I really just need to be able to set it up with a minimum of fuss (or it'll go out the window accompanied by a few expletives! I never was the most patient person in the world when it comes to reading instructions and putting things together!   :-[).

Don't you find that whatever company you go with, for whatever item - there'll always be someone who's had a bad experience with them? I'd never heard of Ebuyer so googled them and the first thing I found was someone moaning about their after sales care and recommending people not to touch them with a bargepole!

I appreciate the advice, though.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 05 January 09 15:07 GMT (UK) »
hard to beat these people - I've bought fully built Home PCs, 'Barebones' and loads of peripherals from them over the last 3 years, no complaints.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/rangecat.jsp?t=pc

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Don't you find that whatever company you go with, for whatever item - there'll always be someone who's had a bad experience with them? I'd never heard of Ebuyer so googled them and the first thing I found was someone moaning about their after sales care and recommending people not to touch them with a bargepole!

Actually, Ebuyer have improved out of all proportion from what they were a few years ago.   My sister bought a desktop PC from them about a year ago (and believe me, not many people are more clueless about tech things than she is), and she had it working within an hour of receiving it.  There are still a few small PC suppliers in most towns (mine has one, and towns don't come much smaller !), try Yellow Pages for details.

Of course, the smaller shops can't compete on buying, so it's a choice of paying low prices and get minimal service, or paying a bit more and getting some help.  I'm afraid PC World always seem to be staffed by enthusiastic amateurs when I go in there, but then (trying not to sound patronising), if you had a degree in computer sciences, would you want to work in a computer shop ?  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:40 GMT (UK) »
No!

The good news is that my darling brother has given the PC World PC details to a work colleague who is a computer whiz. He has taken it away and is going to check it out for what I want it for, and possibly come up with some better ideas.

The even better news is that he may well put it all together for me when it arrives.

P.S. Bet I'm dafter than your sister when it comes to PCs!!

Fingers well and truly crossed!!  ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline wood.mjm

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Exciting news Jill. You must tell us all about the new 'pooter when it arrives.

Woody.
Wood-Leeds.   Jagger/Charlesworth/Exley- Crigglestone. Sheard- Leeds.   Foulds-Sutton-on-Trent.   Cooper/Hull- Dorking.   Dunstone-Chiswick.   Claridge -Berkshire.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I go along with Nick re Pcworld/Dixons/Currys group - and I used to work the otherside of the coin in customer services for a large IT company, the name is no better from the other angle apart from they sell alot :D

I get mine from Ebuyer or Novatech.... strange Novatech has now opened a store near me - must be all the business  coming from this area ;D ;D ;D  OH bought one from Tescos last year and it was a real bargain... good spec too!

If you do have someone nearby that can help with the setup if you are not sure how to do it then thats great.  But seriously, most pcs are relatively easy to get started these days. Just follow the instructions and have your broadband/ISP username and password handy.

If you need help with transferring files/favorites/emails over just give a shout.  ;D

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I go along with Nick re Pcworld/Dixons/Currys group - and I used to work the otherside of the coin in customer services for a large IT company, the name is no better from the other angle apart from they sell alot :D

I get mine from Ebuyer or Novatech.... strange Novatech has now opened a store near me - must be all the business  coming from this area ;D ;D ;D  OH bought one from Tescos last year and it was a real bargain... good spec too!

Jenny, reading your post made me think back 5 years, to when I started my own company, after years of the "luxury" of working for a large company with its own IT dept.  What I know about computers and networking is all self-taught, and although I know enough to fix most computer problems and install a simple network, I can't compare my skills with IT professionals.

If you walk into any PC World store on a non-weekend day, about 80% of the customers will be people buying stuff on behalf of their company - stuff which is required in a hurry, so they are prepared to pay premium prices for it.  As a new company owner, I joined these ranks when I needed stuff in a hurry.  One day my business received an email from PC World, suggesting that I register for a business card, and it seemed like a good idea - I thought it might save me some time at the checkouts, or maybe even give me some discount.

My PC World business card arrived, and the next time I needed to shop at PC World I made sure I had it with me.  Once I'd filled my shopping basket with everything I needed, I proceeded to the business section, expecting that maybe there would be some express till for business users, with maybe even some extra discount.  I was brought back to earth with a bump when I discovered exactly what I got with my PC World business card - my very own spotty geek to advise me on what to buy !  The very people I'd spent years trying to avoid in PC World for the previous 10 years !  ;D

Anyway, since then, bad experiences in Currys and Dixons means that I no longer frequent any of the DSG Retail group stores.  I was tempted to break my resolution about 6 months ago, when I quite urgently needed a 1.5 metre VGA extension cable.  When I saw the price of the cable in PC World (£39.99), the urgency evaporated a little, and when I got back to the office I ordered one from Ebuyer for £6.99 + £7.00 for next-day delivery.

I get the majority of my electronics stuff from Ebuyer, and I agree with you that Novatech are good, as are Dabs (which is owned by BT), and I've also used a company called LambdaTek, who are very competitive, and give great service.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 10:23 GMT (UK) »
For what it is worth from my experience of owning 11 PCs/laptops since 1985;

1)  If you do not know much about PCs consider buying from John Lewis.  They come top by miles in "Which" and other surveys for all aspects of computer purchase.  Go in on a quiet morning and chat - most of their salespersons are very helpful.  They will deliver, and set it up for you as well for a reasonable fee.

2) Wired mouse.  Have had several wireless, including top of range logitech, and they have always failed or been very annoying.

3) Small local suppliers?  I am not sure whether these are so great if you know little about how to tweak settings etc yourself.  My aged mother used a small local supplier to set her up, but they are NOT very good at after sales service and send a lad who really does not know what he is doing.  Every time I visit I spend a half a day sorting out her PC, updating everything and making her security software work properly.  Mind you, I have a local two-man IT firm who are great, and have helped me nurse along my 2 6-year old Dell PC's at low cost (eg replacing burnt out graphics card etc).

4) Dell should not be discounted.  I am on my 4th and 5th Dell PCs.  Good value, easy to set up yourself or they will send someone to do it for a fee.  Mind you, I bought high-end each time so they are rather future-proof.

5) Avoid PCWorld and its' siblings. 

Good Luck

Good Luck
BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk