Author Topic: Buying a new PC - advice please.  (Read 8756 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new PC - advice please.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 January 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
TFT and LCD are the same thing when it comes to monitors.

SATA Dives are the latest version of hard drives (Serial ATA) and faster than their predecessors which were known as IDE drives but which are now also referred to as PATA (Parallel ATA)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 January 09 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Falkyrn.

I think that last one lost me a bit - but I'm getting there.

One more (probably very daft) question before I sign off for the night. How many MB rams are there in 1GB Ram? 1000?   :-[

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 January 09 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, Falkyrn.

I think that last one lost me a bit - but I'm getting there.

One more (probably very daft) question before I sign off for the night. How many MB rams are there in 1GB Ram? 1000?   :-[

Jill

:)    ..... The main difference between SATA and PATA drives (and to confuse things even more they are also known as Ultra ATA) is really the speed they work at transferring the information and the connection to your motherboard inside the computer. It would only have any bearing if you wanted to mount an old drive internally as a second hard drive.

Re MB & GB technically its 1024

have  a look at http://www.convertunits.com/from/MB/to/GB

indiapaleale

« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 January 09 23:31 GMT (UK) »
No good asking me about the ins and outs of computer guts - Mr. Indi takes care of that part of the biz....

However, when it comes to sound - I have a Dell PC with fairly decent speakers but my lovely Mr. Indi bought me a set of Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks  - they are superb - and if you like playing music - rock - classical - country - you MUST buy a set!

;D ;D

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:20 GMT (UK) »
One point to look out for "integrated graphics" - If the system has integrated or onboard (i.e. built into the motherboard) graphics this often means that they share the memory with the main system and a 2Gb system may only have access to 1.5 as the other half GB is taken up by the graphics system. This has the overall effect of slowing down the system.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 January 09 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the pointers.

I've also noticed that the mouse can be wired, optic or laser. I'm used to a wired one - and tried a wire-less one once but couldn't get it to work! Is there much difference in the operation of the other types?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline wood.mjm

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 January 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the pointers.

I've also noticed that the mouse can be wired, optic or laser. I'm used to a wired one - and tried a wire-less one once but couldn't get it to work! Is there much difference in the operation of the other types?

Jill

These things have improved a lot. I use wireless keyboard and mouse by Logitec and like it very much. I would say try before you buy.

Woody.
Wood-Leeds.   Jagger/Charlesworth/Exley- Crigglestone. Sheard- Leeds.   Foulds-Sutton-on-Trent.   Cooper/Hull- Dorking.   Dunstone-Chiswick.   Claridge -Berkshire.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 January 09 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Re mice .... a lot depends on what you want to do with them , as you don't play high speed reaction games it would make little difference whether wired or not.

optic/laser - very similar in operation both use a light source rather than the old fashioned ball system which often got clogged up.

I personally prefer wireless due to the freedom it gives me on the desk.

The only potential problem is that wireless mice need batteries - either replacing standard batteries or rechargable - mine gets placed in its cradle to re charge it.
(one of the best optical mice I ever used was a Microsoft one but it ate AA batteries as if they were going out of fashion)

Offline Gragareth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 January 09 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm using my second Mesh make computer and again well satisfied.
Not included were speakers so using those from first Mesh.  Sound is only listened to now and again so these small speakers ample.
The flat screen monitor isn't good for critical use with photographs, so using old Mesh crt monitor, and can swop monitors. Cannot expect a better monitor for the price paid.
Five USB sockets are useful. 1GB at least of memory too.
Gragareth.
Binns, Howgate, Lister, Mountain, Pickles, Procter, Hall, at Leeds.   Bowron at Barnard Castle<br />Co.Durham.  Cordingley, Crosthwaite, Hardwick, Kilburn, Thompson, Turton,  nr Methley,Rothwell and Whitkirk nr Leeds.  Hall at Hull.  Pottage, Key, Risdale, at Lincs.<br />Links to Howgate at Wigan. Cookson at Huddersfield. Mountain at Otley area.