Author Topic: Buying a new PC - advice please.  (Read 8820 times)

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new PC - advice please.
« Reply #72 on: Friday 03 July 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
Nick, I know what you suggest about Windows 7 makes sense for computer fundis such as yourself, but I do not think that is what the jillruss needs.

ANY new operating system has glitches and a steep learning curve and "non-experts" should never  (IMHO) go for a new OS for at least 6/12 - in my case, with Vista, I left it for a year and have no problems with it.

So, if jillruss really wants to wait for Windows 7, I would say she should wait until at least next May.

Is this what you want?

BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline falcybe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 03 July 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
and this link appears to give new buyers the best of both worlds: In America upgrades are being advertised free of charge.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx

I purchased Vista 18 months after its launch and had no problems with the programme itself or with hardware I use. Vista never shook off its bad reputation from the start-up period even though it has become much nicer than XP. And windows 7 promises to be even better, having built on the knowledge gained in developing Vista.
Hayden Cowan Weir Jowett Barclay Howard Gooch Joiner Rayner Ash Travers Coltman Samuel Falconer Lacey Croton Clarke Robinson Alden Burroughs
Ford Lusty Jones Wice Wise Scorey Rayner Harding Bacon Chambers and lots more
Click on the little house on the left to go to our site

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 04 July 09 13:00 BST (UK) »
Nick, I know what you suggest about Windows 7 makes sense for computer fundis such as yourself, but I do not think that is what the jillruss needs.

ANY new operating system has glitches and a steep learning curve and "non-experts" should never  (IMHO) go for a new OS for at least 6/12 - in my case, with Vista, I left it for a year and have no problems with it.

So, if jillruss really wants to wait for Windows 7, I would say she should wait until at least next May.

Is this what you want?

I think you've got me in the proverbial nutshell, Jenny!
No - I've waited too long as it is and, as you rightly point out, I can't cope with glitches!!  :-[

I shall get the ball rolling next week with the Acer. Take a deep breath, and jump in whilst the water's not too cold!!  ;D ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Saturday 04 July 09 13:24 BST (UK) »

Is this what you want?

I understand what you're saying, but for those in Europe the situation is a little more difficult this time around.  Windows 7 is going to be much more expensive for us in the UK compared to what Americans pay, but there are special offers for those who pre-order before the release date, with some considerable savings on offer.  Also, for Europeans there will be no upgrade path from XP or Vista - Windows 7 has to be a clean install.  Now, I would not want to spend a few months with a new computer with Vista on it, only to have the whole thing wiped to have a totally new system installed.

Ultimately it's Jill's choice, but if she waits until after October for Windows 7, she will pay considerably more for it.  Those who have had time to thoroughly test Windows 7 (and I'm not one of them) have reported favourably on the new OS.

Personally, I'd like to abandon Microsoft altogether, because of the way they have treated their customers in Europe, but that's a whole new discussion  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 04 July 09 19:06 BST (UK) »

Nick,

Your last paragraph says it all!!  I moved away from IE7 and installed Firefox and would dearly love to abandon Vista as a result of Microsoft's current attitude to their European market.  (What would you suggest? - I imagine this would involve a separate topic.).

On Amazon's US site they are offering Windows 7 for $49.99 but their UK one just asks for you to express an interest.  I understand that there may probably be a 'limited' offer by Microsoft from 15 July at £50 which is somewhat more than the US price.  Currently their UK page shows the full price for Windows 7 to be £166!!!

I just hope that MS realise the error of their ways and change their prices prior to the release date of 22 October.  If not I hope users will vote with their feet and not buy this latest development.