Author Topic: Foreign family Tree - Cairo  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Lauramuppet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Only those who do nothing make no mistakes.
    • View Profile
Foreign family Tree - Cairo
« on: Saturday 03 January 09 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am hoping to get a few ideas, as I am not sure where to go next. I am at a dead end with my Paternal Grandfather's Mother who was called Julie Gracia Matalou who married in cairo on 11/11/1918 to my Gt Grandfather John Charles Mansfield. She either a) disappeared in WW2 or b) ran off according to different family accounts..... Her father was Isaac Jacob Matalou and they are listed as local subjects on the marriage certificate, although rumoured (family gossip) to be french - but lived in Cairo.

Is there any way I can find out more about this part of my family? Any sites that can help me out...or helpful hints. I know that in the 1970's my Grandfather tried to find his mother but sadly had no luck. I know it is a long stretch, but would love to find out more about that side of the family.

Thanks, Laura.

Mansfield - Egypt/London/Devonshire
Meek - Leicestershire/Derbyshire
Roberts - Leicestershire
Pecival - Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire
Findley - Leicestershire
Harding - Oxfordshire/Leicestershire
Pick - Leicestershire/Northamptonshire
Toone - Leicestershire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign family Tree - Cairo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 January 09 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Just in googling the name, it looks like the name Matalou is Greek!  Just to add a bit more confusion to the mix :)

Do you have a copy of the marriage cert?  So they got married in Egypt, where did they live after that?

Added: http://www.cousinconnect.com/p/a/0/s/MATALOU a link that has other links for Matalou

And I just had another thought.  What was your G-Grandfather doing in Egypt?  My Great-Uncle was out in Egypt (later than your dates) and he went with a company called Westland Helicopters (he was a chief Engineer).  But perhaps if you find out more about why your Grandfather was out there, that may offer you up some more leads.
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Lauramuppet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Only those who do nothing make no mistakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 09 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Wow, that is interesting! Never knew that....The occupation listed for John Charles was an Egyptian State Railways offical, residence at Palais Koubbeh..which I have googled - looks swanky! When their son was born in 1919 Palais Koubbeh was also listed as the residence. I have been to the museum website, but not seen anything that could be important as yet.

Later on when his son gets married in the 1950's (in England) he lists his job as a retired vice-consul..so I need to go,at some point, to the national archives and see if I can find anything out officially about him!

They definitely lived in Cairo until the outbreak of war in 1939 - I have an address in Heliopolis from 1937/8. Apperently John Charles and his son (my grandfather) came back to Britain for my Grandfather to enlist in the RAF. This is when the Matalou's seem to have disappeared - but it is possible that Julie G Matalou disappeared before that, as there are conflicting stories!

I wonder how my Great Grandfather got out there in the first place....and I hope I can trace the Matalou's!

Thanks for your help! Did you find anywhere useful to look when researching your great uncle?

Laura
Mansfield - Egypt/London/Devonshire
Meek - Leicestershire/Derbyshire
Roberts - Leicestershire
Pecival - Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire
Findley - Leicestershire
Harding - Oxfordshire/Leicestershire
Pick - Leicestershire/Northamptonshire
Toone - Leicestershire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 January 09 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to take so long in answering you again.  i didn't do any research on the Egytian side, as my G/Uncle only went there temporarily.  He didn't take his wife, or children.

But it looks like you could have quite a lot of leads:)

You have the Railway, there could be records in Egypt...and Vice Consul? well, there are sure to be records.  Julie is a very english name really isn't it, i wonder what her background was.  The war could have split them up, depending on what their faiths were, or their backgrounds.
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire