Author Topic: George McAdam Girthon and family ??  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Mcpoodle17

• RootsChat Extra
  • 3 James Thomson Baxters
    • View Profile
George McAdam Girthon and family ??
« on: Saturday 03 January 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi im very new to al this haha so lets get started-

Im looking for my great great grandfather George McAdam- i have him in 1841 with a bann to Sarah Kennedy and in 1851 census and so on- what i cant find is his birth record ???

By looking at the children he and sarah kennedy had:
Elizabeth Johnstone McAdam 1842
Marion McAdam 1844
Anne McAdam 1846
William McAdam 1848
Mary McAdam 1849
John McAdam1852
Alexander McAdam 1853
Margaret McAdam 1854
then my namesake Andrew McAdam 1858

it would seem that the parents of george were william mcadam and marion? i know that sarah kennedys parents were alexander and elizabeth.

The census states george was bron in girthon  and their bann was announced in penninghame-not too far away i believe and there apear to be mcadams in wigtown aswell!!!

Can ANYONE find out if there was a likely william mcadam in these areas at the time or any family link ups!!

Any info would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Andrew McAdam
mcadam ,baxter, bell, anderson, duffus, geddes, montgomery, halliday, knox

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George McAdam Girthon and family ??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew - Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I can verify there are several McAdam families in the area at that time. There also seems to be a fair amount of movement between Penninghame, Minnigaff and Girthon for most families in the area. It is only a couple of miles to cross parish boundaries so you may find a marriage in one, children's chirstenings in another and deaths in another - this just means checking both Kirkcudbright and Wigtownshire records.

Do you have any idea of roughly what George's birth year might have been from census records?
The only obvious entry on the IGI is 1817 Penninghame, but the wrong parents. They could still be related though, possibly cousins.

If you look for the Death certificate of George it may well contain information about his parents and birth year, provided that the person registering the death knew them. You can access this on Scotland's People for a small fee. (£6 for 30 credits - 5 credits per certificate, 1 for search results)

There is one possible candidate showing up - A George McAdam died in Wigtownshire between 1870 and 1880 aged somewhere in his 60s (I didn't bother narrowing it down further as I don't have any credits to check just now)

If you have any further information you could share it might help us help you - unless you want all the fun of doing it yourself!

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Mcpoodle17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
the census records suggest 1809 -1811 but nothing appears then :( there is a george bogue? mcadam in 1819 but im oretty certain that is not my george- maybe he was with a different church rather than the usual? :S

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew  :)

Not sure if there is a relationship  but this thread might be of interest:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,348632.0.html

There is a death certificate for your George McAdam, shepherd . Married to Sarah Kennedy.  14 Feb 1877, Marsh Cottage, parish of Canonbie, Dumfriesshire. He was aged 68 at death. His parents are given as William McAdam, farmer, and Marion m.s. Grierson, both deceased.

The informant was a neighbour.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mcpoodle17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic- Ive searched to see hat record and that is my link, but as you say william mcadam is a common name. as that other thread provs- many mcadams in one area, and none quite match the dates form mine. I still ponder if he is maybe of iris decent?? or s he 30 years older than every record of hi says haha i just dont know. Its always girthon and his age always links back 1809-1811. I have looked at children for wiliam and marion/may mary/ grier/grierson as her name seems quite changeable-

she was alive with george in 1841 sencus and infact seems to die aged 91!! but her parents are also unknown.

I wonder if it will always remain a mystery- would it be a lost/destroyed record perhaps? or a record from a different church??

Anyway, thank you both for the hlp and information, i will continue searching and solving this puzzle :D

Andrew McAdam

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:04 GMT (UK) »
It could be that the records for baptisms are missing or they were of a church other than the C of Scotland.

It's definitely your 'man' as it gives his wife's name. There are quite a lot of Grierson's in Kirkcudbrightshire - I've found lots in searching for my ancestors in the Kells, Balmaclellan, Parton and Kirkmabreck parishes - some were 'gentry' and others labourers of one kind or another.

I've found reference to the use of the surname (and variations) by MacGregors  ::)

I'm a bit anti-clans and tartans but this might have something worthwhile in it:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?roberts::greirson::221.html

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***