Author Topic: SLOAN/SLOANE & KENNEDY  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Jo Sunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SLOAN/SLOANE & KENNEDY
« on: Saturday 03 January 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am new to this forum but not new to family history research.  I have two brothers William Kennedy Sloan b 1828 Belfast (on his wedding cert) and James Kennedy Sloane b 1830 Comber County Down ( on his wedding cert).  The are DEFINITELY brothers (from Family correspondence) and their parents are both listed as Robert Sloane and Elizabeth Kennedy. William dropped the E after his marriage. I have looked high and low for this family but have found nothing in Ireland (Ulster HF searched for me in the 1980's).  William Kennedy Sloan went to Dumbarton, Scotland approx 1851 coming back to get married for the second time in 1883 to Lucinda Elizabeth Stoeckel nee Livingston in Belfast and James Kennedy Sloane went to Australia approx 1851 and thence to New Zealand 1862.
James is definite about Comber on all his childrens birth certs and on his death cert in Australia in 1897 it still lists Comber.  William has Belfast only on his marriage certificate.  Can anyone help me find a marriage or death.  I have joined and looked at many sites but no joy so far.  Thanks in advance.  Jo

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: SLOAN/SLOANE & KENNEDY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 January 09 00:54 GMT (UK) »
hi jo, welcome to rootschat :)

this has to be william's marriage;

william k sloan married lucinda elizabeth stolckel 19-sept-1883,May street presbyterian church,shankill parish,belfast.

tony

Offline Jo Sunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 January 09 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

Yes, thanks that is William Kennedy Sloan's marriage to Lucinda Elizabeth Stoeckel nee Livingston.  His first marriage was in Lanark in Scotland in 1852.  If i could only find  (William's parents) Robert Sloane marrying Elizabeth Kennedy around 1823-1828 i would be really happy!!!! plus any other children.  Many thanks for your reply.  Jo

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 January 09 01:25 GMT (UK) »
have you tried PRONI yet? if william got married in the presbyterian church then there's a fair chance he was presbyterian himself and proni would be able to tell you if they have parish records for comber in the time frame you want,late 1820's.

Offline Jo Sunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 January 09 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  I have been on the PRONI site but will email them to see if they have Presbyterian records for that time frame. (They were all definitely Presbyterian).  Your help is much appreciated.  Kind regards.  Jo

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 January 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
You have done well already, If you want keep opening up research lines, i recommend three sites for Sloan(e), the kennedys have even more
comberonline.org open history section, open and download
the historical directory which contains information not for commercial use
Sloan   Agnes Crossnacreevy Down: North Moneyreagh Moneyrea Orange Hall Ulster Covenant 1912 in  www.proni.gov.uk     
Sloan,   Andrew,  Ballycreely ,  D/654/A3/1B,   Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,   Anne,  Jane,  Moneyrea,  gh,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details 
Sloan,   David,  Ringway Ringcreevy Comber,  Belfast: South,  Saint Anne's,  City Hall,   Ulster Covenant 1912 in  www.proni.gov.uk       
Sloan,  George,  Ballykeel,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details 
Sloan,  George,  Comber,  Down: North,  Comber,  Square (The),   Ulster Covenant 1912 in  www.proni.gov.uk       
Sloan, Isabel  The Clattering Ford (Poem)   County Down Spectator 26 Jan 1957 p.10  with acknowledgment to The Education and Library Service of the South Eastern Education and Library Board.
Sloan,  James,  Ballybeen,  D/654/A3/1N,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,  Jane, Miss.  Comber of Ballymaglaff; B,  Abt,  1785 & Married John Kennedy Abt,  1805; Mother of John B,  1806 & Margaret B,  1808 & James B,  1816 & Martha B,  1818 & Robert B,  1820; D,  Ballymaglaff RAJ G7,  freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/
Sloan,  John,  Ballystockard,  D/654/A3/1N,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,  John,  Ballystockard,  D/654/A3/1Q,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,  John,  Ballystockart,  D/654/A3/1B,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,  John,  Market Street  Com’,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details 
Sloan,  John,  Haw (The),    Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details 
Sloan,   Mary,  High Street Comber,  Down: North,  Comber,  1st Presbyterian Church,   Ulster Covenant 1912 in  www.proni.gov.uk       
Sloan,  Robert,  Ballyrush,  D/654/A3/1S,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,  Robert,  Ballyrush,  D/654/A3/1X,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,  Robert,  Ballyrush,  T/761/19,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloan,  Robert,  Ballyrush,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details 
Sloan,  William,  Ballyrush,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details 
Sloane,  John,  Ballystockard,  DOW/5/3/2,    Freeholder in www.proni.gov.uk
Sloane,  John,  Carnasure,Householder in Griffiths Valuation ~1863 several websites have details 
all the websites quoted should be looked at and updated for morre possible information.
The most fun for you will be http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/ where you will be able to see the actual place each Sloan(e) lived.

The 1911 Census on line www.census.nationalarchives.ie
now shows about 19 or 20 Slaon(e) just for Comber civil parish  so apart from Comber as a heading, where you should find the Streets, also use Ballygowan Town - Ballygowan , Clontonakelly - Drumbo , and Ballykeel and Ballyrush in Moneyreagh DED

Lastly without knowing the location, there is a family tree in manuscript for SLOANE in volume 5p192 in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast.  Blackwood normally researched just Co Down  families.  I suggest if you cant visit you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and you should be prepared to pay a fee for copying, post and packing, and perhaps some staff time and overheads. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds and because you have acquired a copy of a valueable family tree.. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email: <irish.reference[at]linenhall.com>.replace the [AT] with the symbol please

I can give you the Kennedy volume references if wanted
good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Jo Sunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 January 09 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow Jim

Thank you so much.  I am going back to basics for a short while.  I am almost 100% sure that on one of the birth records i viewed in Westport, NZ in the 1980's had a Ballysomething on it.  What ever it was i have no reference to it now and will order photocopies of the two births of his children in 1868 and 1870 here in NZ in the hope that it gives the actual name of where he came from in Comber.  Hopefully my memory is not too bad.
William Kennedy Sloan (wife Jane Smith Harris and Lucinda Elizabeth Stoeckel nee Livingstone) in Dunbarton had the following children:  Eliza Kennedy Sloan, James Kennedy Sloan, Robert Sloan, William Arnot Sloan, Jane Tait Sloan, Charles Sloan,Mary Reid Sloan, John Campbell Sloan, Campbell White Sloan, Edward Sloan, George Scott Sloan, Albert Sloan and David Livingston Sloan (he married in Belfast in 1913).
James Kennedy Sloan (wife Mary Horsburgh) had Mary Alice Sloane, William James Sloane, Francis Robert Sloane, Emily Jane Sloane, Albert Alfred Kennedy Sloane, Louisa Adeline Sloane, Bailie Gordon Sloane, Emma Jane Sloane and Norman Sloane in Australia and New Zealand.  Some names are similar but i have no idea where all the surnames came from in William's family except Arnot which was his business partner in Dumbarton

Thanks for your reply.  It is much appreciated.  Kind regards  Jo

Offline Alan Cassidy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered this thread which I realise is quite old but I am hoping you have found what you were looking for and perhaps may be able to help me. I have Elizabeth Jane Sloan born about 1785 in County Down. She married John Kennedy (1765 - 1840).  I believe they may have been my G G G G Grandparents. I am trying to see if there is a link from them to my G Grandfather James Kennedy born 1832 at Kilclief.
I am quite new to all this and really would appreciate any help you can give me,
Thanks,
 Alan

Offline Jo Sunbeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Cheers Allan, I do have some more info since then, but it would be better to email me direct. Just trying to find out how you can do that lol. I have Jane Sloan marrying John Kennedy around 1805. They stayed in the Comber District and Newtownards district of County Down. Kind regards Jo