Author Topic: DENDLE of Langleigh Park Ilfacombe  (Read 1742 times)

Offline wildtech

• RootsChat Senior
  • 3rd Great grandfather Thomas Wild III
    • View Profile
DENDLE of Langleigh Park Ilfacombe
« on: Saturday 03 January 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Found this website about Langleigh Park  - http://www.langleigh.co.uk/ancestry.htm on a Google expedition.  I'm convinced the William Dendle is the husband of my 2nd cousin 4times removed Elizabeth Wild - his second wife. 

I have sketchy family knowledge that Elizabeth married a widower William Dendle in Ilfracombe in about 1923.  I have the GRO index reference for what is almost certainly their marriage in 1stQ 1924 but that's all.  The report on the fire which occured in 1923 reports a Margaret Wild from Longford, Colnbrook (Elizabeth's home village) as helping in the evacuation and this was probably Elizabeth's niece.

Can anyone help with more information on the hotel or William Dendle please
Wild, Weekly, MDX and BKM
Rayner, BKM
Smith, NTH and ESS

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: DENDLE of Langleigh Park Ilfacombe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 January 09 01:16 GMT (UK) »
In 1923 at the time of the fire - William Dendle was around 68yrs old and the report makes no mention of a second marriage in 1924 which is strange given the detail it includes.  When was Elizabeth Wild born?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline wildtech

• RootsChat Senior
  • 3rd Great grandfather Thomas Wild III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 January 09 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth was some 30 years his junior, she was born in 1874.

I too was surprised that the history page made no mention of William's second marriage in view of the other detail which it included.  It makes me wonder whether my family source is correct although I have little reason to doubt it as he (the source) is a direct descendant of one of Elizabeth's brothers and has done vast amounts of research into the family.

I've tried the contact link on the Ifracombe Hotels page to no avail - no reply :-\
Wild, Weekly, MDX and BKM
Rayner, BKM
Smith, NTH and ESS

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 21 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wildtech
Since your query was posted some years ago now, you may have long since found the answers you're looking for, but if not I can confirm that Elizabeth was indeed William's wife. She appears with him in the 1939 Register at Langleigh Park House, and another of the occupants is a Daisy E. Wild (born 1888) who is a "Cripple."