Author Topic: 32nd Regiment of Foot 1815  (Read 29575 times)

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 32nd Regiment of Foot 1815
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 August 10 07:57 BST (UK) »
a very intresting posting jon
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 August 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
As Neil say very interesting.

I knew that regiments in the 17th century were usually named after the person who raised them then when after the restoration regiments tended to be numbered but I hadn't realised just how the County regiments were raised.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline serjeant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 August 10 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am the Serjeant of the living history group 32nd Cornwall Regiment of Foot 1808-1815 and it is very interesting to read your comments
As you have said this regiment had little written about it regarding the battles of Quatre Bras & Waterloo we think it was because there was nothing outstanding about their actions they just "STOOD" enthusiasts of the period will understand that was considered a reliable reputation to have
We do not have many personal records of the 32nd men so please don't ask us lots of questions that we couldn't possibly answer - however if anyone is interested in the life of a soldier in Wellingtons army we will try and help
We are trying to fill in the gaps to find the men of the 32nd so Jean if you have any info on Private Michl McGURN we would love to hear it
Also John do you know where your ancestor is buried as we are trying to trace as many of the survivors as possible
Many thanks
Serjeant        http://32ndregiment.club.officelive.com

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 August 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
Am afraid all I know about Michl is the info I have posted. However the surname McGurn is not a very common one and I have reason to believe that in the early 1800's most were related to each other.

If I come across any more info I will let you know.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline JulieTawse

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 August 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Australia,

I recently purchased the death certificate of an ancestor, Alexander Wyatt, who migrated from France to Australia around 1841. On the certificate, under his father's occupation, it stated William Thomas Wyatt was a Captain in the 32nd Regiment of Foot.

William was born in Yorkshire and heir to his father's estate in Horsted Keynes, Sussex; however, his father outlived him. William  married a French woman in exile in England during the revolution "terrors" and moved with her to France after things settled, since she inherited title in Rouen. According to the "Register of Burials in the City of Paris from 1815 to 1850", he was buried in Paris on 13 August 1830.

Awhile ago I found a site which may be of interest: The Association of Friends of the Waterloo Committee.
It has an "Update on the Waterloo Register" being compiled by David Milner, to register people known to have been at Waterloo, or even who may possibly have been there.  http://www.waterloocommittee.org.uk/coming_events.html
There is also a Register of Memorials being collated for publication by Janet and David Bromley. http://www.waterloocommittee.org.uk/reg_memorials.html

Cheers,

Julie.

Offline serjeant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 August 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
Interesting stuff, we will have to look up Alexander Wyatt - What a story -
Our Commanding Officer is a life member of the Friends of Waterloo and we send all the information on the 32nd graves we find to Janet and David Bromley

Thanks for all the information

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 August 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
hi julie welcome to rootschat.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline JulieTawse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi serjeant,

What a  quick response! :)

Sorry, I must have confused the issue with too much info.
William Thomas Wyatt is the possible Waterloo veteran; buried in Paris somewhere, possibly Versailles.

Alexander was his son, who migrated to Australia.

I would be very grateful for any confirmation, or otherwise, of William's involvement. Finding out about this ancestor has opened a whole new door of history to me whichever way it goes. 

Cheers,

Julie

Offline JulieTawse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 August 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Neil  :)