Author Topic: 32nd Regiment of Foot 1815  (Read 29570 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 32nd Regiment of Foot 1815
« Reply #45 on: Monday 16 March 15 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Here is his Waterloo medal roll entry - http://tinyurl.com/lqyvgl2 - it is on a supplementary list

Men got two years extra service for Waterloo. Ancestry has one page of his discharge record in the 'Canada' records; while Findmypast also have the second side. It says he was also wounded at Salamanca.

It looks as if he signed his name, so why do you think he was illiterate?

Ken

Offline Le_Ricain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 16 March 15 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Ken,

Thanks for the help. I was able to get a copy of his discharge papers from Kew. I assume that this would be the same as listed in Ancestry and Findmypast. I must check those out. Interesting that Ancestry has him in the 'Canada' records.

I always assumed that Samuel was illiterate because he was never promoted in rank. His discharge papers give no indication of disciplinary problems. The prime requirement for promotion was literacy and numeracy. After 20 years, with no discipline problems, he retired as a private soldier.

Rick

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 16 March 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rick

It is not clear why they produced the 'Canada' records. They seem to be regiments that served in Canada. It does not mean he did.

Ken

Offline Le_Ricain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 16 March 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Too bad. I was thinking that if he took his pension in Canada, the Canadian government would have needed to have his discharge papers on file.

Rick

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 16 March 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
On the back of his discharge it says that his intended residence was Rotherham and I think 'York' means where his pension would come from.

Ken

Offline aaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 21 May 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Iam interested in this post as I have just got the discharge papers for two family members who fought at Quatre Bras and Waterloo.

The first was Smith McDole who was in Captain David Davies company of the 32nd - he was shot in the ankle at Quatre Bras on 16 June 1815 and was pensioned off as a result. He is on the Waterloo Medal Roll.

The second is Nathaniel Dunsheath who joined 32nd in Jan 1811 and was finally pensioned off in 1835 aged 40. According to his papers he got 2 years extra for having been at Waterloo. BUT I can't find him on medal roll - he also served 8 years in the Ionian Islands - anyone have any idea what 32nd would have been doing there ????? 

Why if he got the extra pension for Waterloo is he not on medal roll.

For Serjeant - these are two more men to be added to list of 32nd at Waterloo.

By the way both these men came from Co Antrim, Ireland.

Yvone

Hi there, just came across this site while doing some research on Smith McDole.

As he is my G-G-G-G-Grandfather through his daughter Helen, then I guess we are related. 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 13 May 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
It's been some time since this thread opened but in case anyone's still interested, may I recommend :
"With the 32nd in the Peninsular and other campaigns" by Harry (Henry) Ross-Lewin who commanded a company at Waterloo.

https://archive.org/details/withthirtysecon00wardgoog  I don't it has been cited before here.  If it has, apologies to whoever did so.
Came across it when researching a relative for a friend.  The man in question joined in 1807 in Gloucestershire and served until 1817 so that part of the book represents his service history - fascinating!  His joining record and medal record were all to be found. 

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline de88ie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 08 March 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this thread is still going but wanted to say that I am a direct ancestor of Philip Clear the Christian Soldier who is buried at Veryan Churchyard, he is my fourth great grandfather who served at the Battle of Waterloo in the 32nd Regiment of Foot. 

Offline simpleboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 27 September 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Iam interested in this post as I have just got the discharge papers for two family members who fought at Quatre Bras and Waterloo.

The first was Smith McDole who was in Captain David Davies company of the 32nd - he was shot in the ankle at Quatre Bras on 16 June 1815 and was pensioned off as a result. He is on the Waterloo Medal Roll.

The second is Nathaniel Dunsheath who joined 32nd in Jan 1811 and was finally pensioned off in 1835 aged 40. According to his papers he got 2 years extra for having been at Waterloo. BUT I can't find him on medal roll - he also served 8 years in the Ionian Islands - anyone have any idea what 32nd would have been doing there ????? 

Why if he got the extra pension for Waterloo is he not on medal roll.

For Serjeant - these are two more men to be added to list of 32nd at Waterloo.

By the way both these men came from Co Antrim, Ireland.

Yvone

Hi there, just came across this site while doing some research on Smith McDole.

As he is my G-G-G-G-Grandfather through his daughter Helen, then I guess we are related.
Hi Yvone,  I have just stumbled upon your request - regarding Nathaniel Dunsheath.  I am aware it was an old posting, but still felt compelled to write this message and hopefully put your mind at rest.  Nathaniel was awarded the Waterloo medal - his name is included on the "MINT" roll, which does mean he definitely was issued the Medal.
Regards Ed