Author Topic: WW1 War Dead, free lookups  (Read 49900 times)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 War Dead, free lookups
« on: Sunday 04 January 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I have completed the war dead of Tipperary, Wicklow and Wexford and am nearing completion on the Offaly one. If you want lookups I am happy to help.
Regards.
 Tom.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 War Dead, free lookups
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 January 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I just thought I would add that I can search by location as well as name.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline arnhem44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 09 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom how are you?,Just came across this site,I was wondering if you could help me,my mother brought it to my attension some time back that she thinks or belives her grandfather served during the first world war,I'm just wondering is she right,she has also told me her uncle also served during the second world war,the confusing part for her is that they both had the same name of Charles Harte,she lived in Cork and her grandparents in Birr so she never got to know them because of difficulties with travel years ago and has only being given second hand information along they way,just wondering if you could confirm if there was a Charles Harte from Birr who served in WW1,I did have a look on the National Archive and found a Charles Harte who was in the Irish Gaurds but Ancestry turned one up in the Hampshire Regiment so I'm none the better off.
Kind regards
Brendan

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 09 16:40 GMT (UK) »
     WW1 War Dead, free look ups means I only have access to guys who died in the war.
 Here are the Harte's from Offaly who died in the war.

HARTE, WILLIAM.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Unit; 2/4th Battalion (Territorial Force). Date of Death:08-October-1918. Service No:31040.  Formerly he was with the East Lancashire Regiment where his number was 40497.Born in Clonavoe, King’s County. Enlisted in Fleetwood, Lancashire while living in Clonavoe.  Died of wounds. Age at Death;37. Grave or Memorial Reference:XIII. E.5. Cemetery: Cologne Southern Cemetery in Germany.

HARTE, WILLIAM.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; 6th Battalion.
Date of Death:31-December-1915. Service No:3133.  Born in Philipstown, King’s County. Enlisted in Maryborough, Queens County.  Died of wounds at home. Grave or Memorial Reference: RC.868.Cemetery: Netley Military Cemetery, Hampshire, UK.

You may purchase Charles Harte's ( Irish Guards) medal index card from the Public records Office site here;
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2730413&queryType=1&resultcount=2
 It costs £2.
 It will give you his name, rank, unit, previous unit, when he first entered the Theatre of War and what that Theatre of War was i.e. Salonika, France etc. It will also tell you which medals he was entitled to and if he was entitled to a silver war badge for discharge with wounds or illness
 Regards.
 Tom

Offline arnhem44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Tom,thanks for that,my mother has just rang me back and there seems to be some debate regarding his name amonst  her family,her father died when she was quite young and not much is really known about her grandfathers background,some of my aunts belive he is actually named Joseph and not Charles,again her uncle been named Charles is adding to the whole confusion,I will look up the Archives now with this name but there not making it easy,once again thanks for everything.
Kind regards
Brendan

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 February 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
No problem, I will see you at Salute again or maybe the Cavan show in April?
You know me as ENFIELD on Boards.ie
Regards.
 Tom

Offline arnhem44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 February 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,I figured it was you alright,I'll catch up with you at Salute,I'm planing a trip to Verdun for the summer so Cavan would be a no no I'm afraid,this guy in Verdun has a couple of log cabins built in his back garden and has a German concrete bunker there also which he's currently digging out,hopefully it will be a good holiday,if your interested in that sort of thing I could pass on the details and you could check out his website,all the best
Brendan

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 February 09 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom, Thanks for the generous offer of a lookup. Do you have any McCormac (k)s from Tullamore on your transcriptions please.

Best Wishes

Scatty
Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 February 09 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scatty.
 McCORMACK/McCORMICK, BERNARD. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers Unit: 1st Bn. Age at Death; 30. Date of Death: 05-November-1914. Service No: 8313. Born in Eyrecourt, County Galway. Enlisted in Ballinasloe while living in Galway. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick and Catherine McCormick, of Banagher, King's County, Ireland. Grave or Memorial Reference: XVI AA. 36. Cemetery: Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, France.

McCORMACK, JOHN.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit; 5th Battalion. Date of Death:11-October-1918. Service No:15210.  Formerly he was with the Leinster Regiment where his number was 4290. Enlisted in Birr, King’s County while living in Birr.  Killed in Action. Age at Death;36. Supplementary information; Son of John and Bridget McCormack, of Birr; husband of Mary McCormack. of Mill St., Birr, King's Co. Grave or Memorial Reference:I.F.22. Cemetery: Montay-Neuvilly Road Cemetery, Montay in France.

McCORMACK, JOSEPH.  Rank: Pte. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit; 1st Battalion.
Date of Death:01-November-1914. Service No:4094.  Born in Kilbride, King’s County. Enlisted in Tullamore.  Died of wounds. Grave or Memorial Reference: IV. A. 20. Cemetery; Perth Cemetery (China Wall) in Belgium.

McCORMACK, MICHAEL.  Rank: Acting Lance Corporal.  Regiment or Service: Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unit; 2nd Battalion. Date of Death:24-May-1915. Service No:9601.  Born in Ballinahown, County Westmeath(sic). Enlisted in Carlow.  Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 33 on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

McCORMACK, MICHAEL.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; B Company, 2nd  Battalion. Date of Death:16-August-1915. Service No:3142.  Born in Kilbeggan, County Westmeath (Soldiers Died in the Great War) Kings County (Irelands Memorial Records). Enlisted in Tullamore.  Killed in Action. Age at Death;29. Supplementary information; Son of the late Joseph and Annie McCormack; husband of Margaret McCormack, of 8, St. James' St., Oldham. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 33 on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial in Belgium.

McCORMACK/McCORMICK, THOMAS.  Rank: Gunner.  Regiment or Service: Royal Field Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery. Unit; A Battery, 28th Brigade. Date of Death:05-December-1917. Service No:6184.  Born in Edenderry, Dublin(sic). Enlisted in Falkirk.  Killed in Action. Age at Death;25. Supplementary information; Son of Darby McCormick, of Killane, Edenderry, King's Co. Grave or Memorial Reference: XIV. F. 7. Cemetery: Dozinghem Military Cemetery in Belgium.

McCORMACK, WILLIAM.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Unit; 6th Battalion. Date of Death:11-August-1915. Service No:71.  Born in St Brendan, Birr, King’s County. Enlisted in Birr, King’s County.  Killed in Action in Gallipoli. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 184 to 185 on the Helles Memorial in Turkey.

McCORMACK, WILLIAM.  Rank: Pte.  Regiment or Service: Leinster Regiment. Date of Death:15-July-1915. Service No:3576.  Born in Birr, Ireland. Died of wounds in the Dardinelles. Age at Death;46. Supplementary information; Won the South African Kings and Queens medals. He only appears in Irelands Memorial Records. He is not listed in Soldiers Died in the Great War and he is not listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. A quick check with the National Archives in Kew shows that there is no Medal Index Card for Serial No 3576, McCormack.

McCORMICK/McCORMACK, BERNARD. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers Unit: 1st Bn. Age at Death; 30. Date of Death: 05-November-1914. Service No: 8313. Born in Eyrecourt, County Galway. Enlisted in Ballinasloe while living in Galway. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Patrick and Catherine McCormick, of Banagher, King's County, Ireland. Grave or Memorial Reference: XVI AA. 36. Cemetery: Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, France.