Author Topic: WW1 War Dead, free lookups  (Read 50006 times)

Offline Lurgan17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 War Dead, free lookups
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 02:34 BST (UK) »
Michael Colburn, Joseph Rogers and Martin Delaney were members of my family who died in WW1. They were all from Banagher Co.Offaly. Could you do a look up for me please. Thank-You Brendan

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 07:25 BST (UK) »
Colburn, Michael. (King's County/Offaly). Private. Leinster Regiment. 2nd Battalion. 5666.
Date of death: 27/03/1918.
Born: Banagher, King's County.
Enlisted: Birr, King's County.
Residence: Banagher, King's County.
Death: Killed in action.
Next of kin, etc: Son of John and Elizabeth Colburn, of Banagher, King's Co. Grave/Memorial:Panel 78. Cemetery: Pozieres Memorial, France.

Rogers, Joseph. (King's County/Offaly). Private. Connaught Rangers. 1st Battalion. 9865.
Date of death: 18/04/1916.
Enlisted: Ballinasloe, County Galway.
Residence: Banagher, King's County.
Death: Killed in action in Mesopotamia.
Next of kin, etc: Awarded the Mons Star. Son of Thomas Rogers, of Cuba Cottage, Banagher, King's Co. Newspapers/Books etc: Tuam Herald, 23/10/1915 and the Western People, 30/10/1915 and Midland Tribune, Tipperary Sentinel and Kings County Vindicator, November, 1915. A Banagher Soldier’s Bravery. Private Joseph Rogers, a Banagher man belonging to the Second Battalion, Connaught Rangers, has performed a conspicuous act of bravery on the battlefield by going to the rescue of Major Muir, Fourth Black Watch. The story is told in a letter which Private Rogers has received as follows: -Holmshead, Craigie, Broughty Ferry, 24th September, 1915. —Dear Rogers, --I am sending you along this silver cigarette case and cheque for two pounds, which I hope you will accept as a small recognition of the way you came to my assistance after my fight with the “Hun” shell. In my dazed condition of mind it is more than likely I would have run into some others had it not been for your assistance. I shall retain grateful remembrance of your conduct, and tender you my sincere thanks, and all the best wishes for your personal safety and good luck throughout the war. –Yours sincerely, --John B Muir, Major, Fourth Black Watch. The accompanying massive cigarette case is thus inscribed---To Private Rogers, of the Connaught Rangers, for conspicuous bravery, and in recognition for the services rendered to me on the field of war, 14th July, 1915, from J. B. Muir, Major, Fourth Black Watch. Private Rogers joined the Expeditionary Force in France at the outbreak of the war, having previously serving in India. He was wounded by shrapnel at the battle of Ypres, and was invalided home, and is again back in the trenches. (Major John B Muir survived the war, Author)
Notes- Age at death listed as 26 (CWGC) 28 (IMR). Grave/Memorial:Panel 40 and 64. Cemetery: Basra War Cemetery, Iraq.

Delaney, Martin. (King's County/Offaly, Westmeath). Private. Leinster Regiment. 3685.
Date of death: 02/05/1915.
Enlisted: Mullingar, County Westmeath.
Death: Died of wounds.
Next of kin, etc: Son of Martin Delaney, of Banagher, King's Co. ; husband of Kate Delaney, of Clara Rd., Moate, Co. Westmeath. Also listed in the Westmeath Roll of Honour, Westmeath Examiner, January, 1917. Privates William Delaney, Irish Guards, and Private Thomas Delaney, 3rd Leinsters from Banagher are briefly mentioned the King’s County Chronicle, April, 1916. They may be related. Grave/Memorial:II C 2. Cemetery: Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery, France.

Offline Lurgan17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Thank-You so much Tom. The info you have provided is fantastic,it really gives me new things to look at. So again Thank-You, Brendan

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 03 April 19 12:44 BST (UK) »
Glad you are happy.
 Kind regards.
 Tom.