Author Topic: Delany - Athenry  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Blue Belle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Delany - Athenry
« on: Tuesday 06 January 09 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any info on Delanys from Athenry.

Patrick Delany was born in 1828 to Hugh and Rose Delany in Athenry. He later came out to NZ as a soldier.

A prayer kept in the Delany family bible written by Patrick, himself, mentions that he had a number of siblings. Apparently, a relative found this family in an 1821 Athenry Census. Hugh and Rose had three daughters at the time - Honor, Bridget and Mary. The Griffiths Evaluation also has Hugh working a plot in Chapel Lane. Unfortunately no other records of any other Delanys in the area have yet been found.

Any Athenry Delanys out there or descendants of this family?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Delany - Athenry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 10:06 GMT (UK) »
there's a Hugh Delany listed in Griffiths Land Valuation (1847 to 1864) in Chapel Lane, Athenry. He is the only Delany listed for that parish.

see : http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Blue Belle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks but had already mentioned the Evaluation in my post. Hugh is Patrick's father but I haven't had any luck finding anything else about him other than that he was a farmer. And sadly, like you noted, there are no other Delanys on record in that parish <sniff>.

Blue.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:26 GMT (UK) »
sorry - somehow missed that you mentioned Griffiths

The Irish Family History Foundation website (www.irish-roots.ie) may have some info if you have not already tried that. Its a pay per view site although you can search the index free. They have parish, and census transcripts for Galway. Each record costs €5 to view. There are about 20 Delany entries for Athenry in 1821 and just one for 1901 and 1911 -  a John Delany.

The soundex search used throws up some alternate spellings - e.g. Dellany, Dillany and Delaney.

The RC parish records for Atheny parish only started in 1858 - so a little bit late for the birth of Patrick, the Church of Ireland baptism records for Atheny started in 1826.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Blue Belle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 January 09 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

Another family member researching the Delanys mentioned that she had found the family in the 1821 Census and I always wondered where she got her hands on it. Thank you for the tip about the website. Will definitely check it out..especially that about other Delanys in the area.

Offline sante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have found a marriage of Honor delany in 1846 in Galway to Frederick Francis Franklin on the IGI perhaps this is Honor.

Offline Blue Belle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sante,

Have also come across the marriage record but have no way of confirming it. Have no access to the parish records which might show that Honor's father was Hugh. Other than that don't know how to tell if it's the Honor in the census without being contacted by a descendant etc.

Thanks though,

(Very) Blue

Offline pamd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 June 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Pam and ihave just been browsing through the threads and read yours on Delany,i am also researching Delany/Delaney from Athenry/Williamstown Galway.

Most of ours are from Williamstown but i have been contacted by a relative that still lives in Athenry.

I wonder if we may have some of the same .

Pam
BLAKE,HARMAN,MURRAY,BROWN;  ISLINGTON,KENSAL GREEN ,KENTISH TOWN,WILLESDEN,HARLESDEN       WARREN,WARRENT,WARRANT,NORMAN,MINNS,LADBROOKE,RASPBERRY,;NORWICH.
DELANEY,;GALWAY AND CLARE .    SWEENEY,CLIFFORD,; KERRY STRINGER,HETHERINGTON.;ANTRIM, TYRONE,CLARE AND DUBLIN

Offline sante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 March 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam

Hope that you read this.  I am Researching Patrick Delany son of Hugh Delany.   I do not know if they are the same Athenry Delany's.  Patrick was in the Indian Mutiny in the 70th Foot (Surey).

Jenny