Author Topic: Scotts/O'Brien Carnmoney, Antrim can anyone nudge me in right direction please?  (Read 987 times)

Offline blommie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 :o :)

Hi All

I'm trying to find more info on my ggggranfather James Scott b 1803 Carnmoney and my ggggrandmother Mary O'Brien, Carnmoney, Antrim married 1829, Carnmoney, Antrim. Trying to reach back a bit further than 1803 to research their parents and find siblings.  Seem to have hit a blank.
Is anyone else researching the Scotts or O'Briens in this area or could you possibly point me to a resource which you've found helpful?  Would appreciate any and all advice!

Thanks a bunch

XXX
blommie

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotts/O'Brien Carnmoney, Antrim can anyone nudge me in right direction please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   You have done well to get back to1803. This is well before official records were required and to get any further you have to depend on church records, if the exist, or be very lucky, as I was for one branch of my ancestors, to find someone else's research, carried out before 1914 when Irish records were destroyed as part of the war effort or lost in the civil war in Dublin in 1922. The research was lodged in the Public Record Office in Belfast.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline blommie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Scotts/O'Brien Carnmoney, Antrim can anyone nudge me in right direction please?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I know.  Difficult researching Irish ancestors.  Wish I could go back further or at least link in siblings and so on.