Author Topic: Dating Photo and Altering Photo  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dating Photo and Altering Photo
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Billkent – Wow!  What an amazing transformation.  Thanks so much for the Prince of Wales detail. 

Maidmarion – I never would have guessed that this was a cap badge.  Thanks so much for your help!

Kali – I just love what you’ve done with Emily’s photos.  Thanks so much!

I thought that Emily was wearing two brooches.  They almost look like frogs.  Is the second “brooch” just a reflection of the middle brooch or is it some piece of lace?

As I’ve mentioned, her husband was in the 11th British Hussars but I found a similar “The Welsh” badge.  It might also have been a - WW1 Welsh Regiment Silver on Tortoiseshell Sweetheart Brooch.  A good scarce convex example, reverse with London silver hallmarks for 1917 and makers mark S & Co.(Sydney & Co). Remains in good condition, original pin fittings, patina smooth and with a good gloss.  Diameter 25mm.  This isn’t exactly the same badge but it is similar.  She would probably have an older model because her husband was born in 1865 and served in South Africa before the Boer War.

Here I thought that she was a young adolescent in this photo and that she was wearing a family heirloom when all along it appears that she was wearing a sweetheart badge from her husband.  It is remarkable that she would look so young and dewy at 33-35 years of age especially after having had two children and having her lifestyle change dramatically. I’m still confused about her age in this photo.  According to her record on obituary/memorium card it appears that she was born in 1866.

These are two reference links that I found when I went searching on the net.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_cavalry_regiment/10th_prince_of_wales_own_royal_hussars.htm

http://www.regimentalbrooches.com/index2.php

Many thanks everyone for your generous contributions!

Take care and keep smiling!

Claddagh

Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Cavan, Ireland: Kiernan
Co. Sligo, Ireland: McGowan

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

London, England:  Smith/Smyth
Scotland: McGoun

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:23 GMT (UK) »
have looked at the 10th royal hussars and it looks like bill is right found one one google images,
anyway another one before bed, kali
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claddagh  :)

I'm really not that sure about the date of the first, round, photo.  It's really hard to pin down a date with so little of the clothing and set showing.  The only thing that pointed me to a date around 1890 was the little puff at the top of the sleeves.  Do you have the actual photo?  Is it possible to see it in full colour, or can you describe the colour of the photo and whether it's on paper or glass or....

It's possible the photo dates from the time of her engagement or marriage.  She does look very young.   I wouldn't worry about the difference in hair and eyes between the two photos - this could be due to anything from different photographic processes, to light-fading.  

I think women have had pierced ears for thousands of years, haven't they - some ladies certainly never had their ears pierced (my mother and her mother and her mother all wore the annoying screw-on earrings - I hate them!), but others would have, I'm sure.  If she came from a family of jewellers, it might have been the norm in her circle to have pierced ears.

The third photo you've posted definitely dates from the mid-late 1890s.  This was the period of the leg-of-mutton sleeve, which grew to immense proportions just before 1900  ;D  The sleeves on this lady's top are certainly rather large, so perhaps later 1890s.  In my opinion it is not the same woman as in the other two pics.

If you do have the original of the first photo (the round one), it might be useful to take a very high-resolution scan of just the brooch, and post the picture on the armed forces board.  Someone there may recognise it.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Prue,

Many thanks for the help!  I just haven’t seen too many photos of Victorian ladies with pierced ears. Unfortunately, I do not have the original photo.  I’ll find out and try to get a better scan.

You’ve all given me food for thought and I’ll see what I can dig up. 

Do you think that the lady in the third photo might be related to Emily?  That Emily is one mysterious lady.   :D

Claddagh
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kali!  I really like that dab of colour.  It makes all the difference.

Claddagh

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:46 GMT (UK) »
well i will try, i dont know if you can control your facial expressions in your sleep though, g'nite, kali
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 January 09 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claddagh,
Glad I could be of help. Perhaps having spent alot of time looking through cap badges to help me identify my Grandfathers helped ::)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 January 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again maidmarion!  I'm glad your research was fruitful and that in turn it might just help be uncover yet another Irish mystery.   :)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 12 January 09 09:57 GMT (UK) »
My 2nd great-grandmother Emily “Emma” Smith/Smyth was born in 1866 in London, England and married an Irishman named James Johnson who was born on July 4, 1865 in Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland at Immaculate Conception, Mullingar, Ireland on June 13, 1886.

Hi Claddagh  :)

I know it's not really "on topic" for this thread, but do you have the names of Emily's parents, perhaps from the marriage certificate?  And have you had a look for her on any census returns?

Just some thoughts...it's such a lovely photo of her, the round one, I can't quite get it out of my mind  :)

Prue