Author Topic: Dating Photo and Altering Photo  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dating Photo and Altering Photo
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 January 09 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue,

Unfortunately, I do not have the names of her parents.  Their names are not written on the marriage certificate.  A cousin has mailed me a copy of the certificate but it isn’t officially filed in Ireland.  It’s all rather confusing and mysterious. 

Emily's granddaughter remembers hearing that Emily was Protestant and a member of the “Orange Order”.  Could she have been English or Welsh and her father part of the “Orange Order”?

I’m starting to believe thanks to the cap badge link that she was a Welsh Protestant and that her family disowned her because she broke off an engagement and married an Irishman or maybe just the fact of marrying an Irishman was enough.  The poor girl went on vacation to Ireland fell in love and sealed her fate with her family.  How tragic!

When she died in 1901 she had returned to her birth place (London, England).  I’ll try to search again.  That photo has haunted me too.  It’s as if she’s willing me to tell her story.  I’m not one to back down or give up but I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Take care and keep smiling!

Claddagh
 :) :) :) :)
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Cavan, Ireland: Kiernan
Co. Sligo, Ireland: McGowan

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

London, England:  Smith/Smyth
Scotland: McGoun

Offline moroc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:32 GMT (UK) »

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I do not have the names of her parents.  Their names are not written on the marriage certificate.  A cousin has mailed me a copy of the certificate but it isn’t officially filed in Ireland. 

Hmm...what do you mean by 'not officially filed' - if there is a certificate presumably it was official somewhere? 

Have you got a topic going on any of the other boards, trying to track Emily/Emma using the information that you have so far?   It's worth a try - and particularly leaving aside all the family rumours, which can make things very confused and often lead you down completely the wrong track!  ;)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the beautiful colour photo Moroc!  What a great idea to use a square finish!  I have a lovely frame that would be just perfect for this photo.

Claddagh
 :) :) :) :)
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue,

What I meant was that there is a “Marriage Certificate” but “No State or Civil Certificate” was found.  James’s surname is spelled “Johnston” instead of “Johnson” and Emily Smith is “Emma Smyth” and their parents’ names aren’t even included. 

They had four children and on the children’s birth certificate their names vary.

Child 1: James Johnson and Emma Johnson formerly Smith
Child 2: James Johnson and Emily Johnson formerly Smyth
Child 3: James Johnson and Emily Johnson formerly Smith
Child 4: Daughter Emily was born in London, England but no birth certificate was found.

This is what the “Marriage Certificate” says:

Church of the Immaculate Conception

Mullingar, 30 day of June 1886

I Certify that James Johnston and Emma Smyth were Lawfully Married according to the Rite of the Catholic Church, on the 13th day of June AD, 1886.  In presence
John Goodson and Margaret Byrne.  As appears from the Marriage Register of the Parish of Mullingar.

Signed: P. Duff

The mystery continues as it always does.  Thanks for all your help and guidance!

Claddagh
 :) ;) :) ;)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claddagh  :)

OK, so you have their church certificate; I take it you've requested a civil certificate from the authorities in Ireland and they haven't been able to find one, is that right?

Very odd...Catholic Marriages were recorded (or should have been!) from the 1860s on.

OK, another tack:  Emily Smyth was born in London - what is your evidence for this? 

We all have at least one very elusive ancestor who tries our patience on a frequent basis!  I think Emily must be yours!!

Prue  :D

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Prue,

That’s a very good question.  Her granddaughter Emily told me that she was born in London, England as per what her mother told her.  Now as for actual proof I don’t really know how to answer.  I’ll get back to you on that.  Now I’m puzzled and I’m hoping that my cousin in England can answer that simple yet pivotal question.  I guess what they say is true that the proof is in the pudding!  Make mine "sticky pudding".  LOL!

Claddagh
 :) ;) :) ;)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 January 19 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Can anyone please help me with these two photos?  First of all could anyone remove the gold frame in the first photo so that I may place this photo in a frame?  Do you believe that it is the same woman in each of the photos? 

Photo 1:  Undated elegant photo of a young woman who was born in 1866.

Photo 2:  Mother and young boys that were born in 1887 and 1890 respectively.  Can someone clean this photo please?  Could the shadow at the bottom of Emily's left hand be a large dog?

My 2nd great-grandmother Emily “Emma” Smith/Smyth was born in 1866 in London, England and married an Irishman named James Johnson who was born on July 4, 1865 in Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland at Immaculate Conception, Mullingar, Ireland on June 13, 1886.

Her parents were wealthy jewellers/goldsmiths in London and disowned her for marrying an Irishman. She must have been a Protestant.

I have often wondered if the intricate brooches on the collar of her dress might indicate if her family was English.  I hope to find someone who can steer me in the right direction. 

Her husband was a military man who joined the 11th Hussars British Army and served in South Africa before the Boer War.  She died of tuberculosis on March 11, 1901 in London, England.  She was living in a rooming house in a section of London which I’ve been told is a predominant Jewish neighbourhood.  Her children were living with her in-laws in Ireland and she was working as a seamstress in London.  Her husband was in South Africa acquiring a parcel of land that was being offered to military personnel and was coming back to retrieve his family.  I have been unable to find his burial place but when his 2nd son married in London in 1917 it indicated that his both his parents were deceased.

She is my genealogy brick wall and I can’t wait to finally find her family history.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Claddagh

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 13 January 19 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Can anyone please help me with these two photos?  First of all could anyone remove the gold frame in the first photo so that I may place this photo in a frame?  Do you believe that it is the same woman in each of the photos? 

Photo 1:  Undated elegant photo of a young woman who was born in 1866.

Photo 2:  Mother and young boys that were born in 1887 and 1890 respectively.  Can someone clean this photo please?  Could the shadow at the bottom of Emily's left hand be a large dog?

My 2nd great-grandmother Emily “Emma” Smith/Smyth was born in 1866 in London, England and married an Irishman named James Johnson who was born on July 4, 1865 in Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland at Immaculate Conception, Mullingar, Ireland on June 13, 1886.

Her parents were wealthy jewellers/goldsmiths in London and disowned her for marrying an Irishman.  One story says that she was a Protestant and that’s why she was disowned.

I have often wondered if the intricate brooches on the collar of her dress might indicate if her family was English.  I hope to find someone who can steer me in the right direction. 

Her husband was a military man who joined the 11th Hussars British Army and served in South Africa before the Boer War.  She died of tuberculosis on March 11, 1901 in London, England.  She was living in a rooming house in a section of London which I’ve been told is a predominant Jewish neighbourhood.  Her children were living with her in-laws in Ireland and she was working as a seamstress in London.  Her husband was in South Africa acquiring a parcel of land that was being offered to military personnel and was coming back to retrieve his family.  I have been unable to find his burial place but when his 2nd son married in London in 1917 it indicated that his both his parents were deceased.

She is my genealogy brick wall and I can’t wait to finally find her family history.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Claddagh