Author Topic: Death Certificates Lookups Please for Gregory Lennon Johnson and Emily Johnson  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the death certificate for Gregory Lennon Johnson and his sister Emily Johnson.

Name: Gregory Lennon Johnson
Born: May 4, 1895
Birth Place: Toberbeg, Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Father: James Johnson
Mother: Emily “Emma” Smith/Smyth
Siblings: Robert James, Edward Patrick and Emily Johnson

Name: Emily Johnson
Born: 1899
Birth Place: London, England
Father: James Johnson
Mother: Emily “Emma” Smith/Smyth
Siblings: Robert James, Edward Patrick and Gregory Lennon

I have no other information and have no clue if he died before his mother passed away of tuberculosis in London, England on March 11, 1901.  I was told that he was living with his paternal grandparents Robert Johnson and Catherine Donnelly Johnson in Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland in 1901 but I cannot find them or him. 

His sister Emily was a sickly child and went to live with her father’s sister Bridget Johnson Byrne’s family in Banbridge Co. Down, Northern Ireland.  She is buried with Bridget and her husband.  I did not find that Emily was living with Bridget and Steven Byrne in the 1911 Census but she did die in Banbridge Co. Down, Northern Ireland in 1914.

I hope to unravel this Johnson mystery.  Only time will tell.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Take care and keep smiling!

Claddagh
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Cavan, Ireland: Kiernan
Co. Sligo, Ireland: McGowan

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

London, England:  Smith/Smyth
Scotland: McGoun

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificates Lookups Please for Gregory Lennon Johnson and Emily Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Have you seen this possibilty for Emily in 1911 census?
Nazareth House, 296 Ormeau Rd. (Ormeau, Down):
73. Emily Johnson, age 11, R.C., pupil, born Co. Down
(everything but the birthplace fits)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0584/ - college and boarding school return (form G) Emily's on p.5
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificates Lookups Please for Gregory Lennon Johnson and Emily Johnson
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey,

Thank you for the warm welcome!  You’re so clever!  I saw the entry but totally overlooked it because I was told that Emily lived with her aunt and uncle.  I’ll make sure to dig dipper and be more open-minded next time I reach a road block.   It appears that she might have been at boarding school all along.  A cousin whose grandmother was Bridget Johnson Byrne was told that Emily was always sickly but in the attached photo you can see that she is healthy as can be.  Boarding school must have been expensive in the day and it seems that Emily was comfortable but I wish that I could find Gregory.  I often wondered if he died young or went to live with another family member or since he was 4 years older he might have been working or enlisted in the military like his father.  His father James had many brothers and sisters.  I can only assume that Emily sent her children away because as a seamstress she must have worked long days and couldn’t care for them.  It must have been utterly devastating for her and such a sad lot for many women in those difficult days.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me!

Claddagh

:)
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
"The Sisters of Nazareth are a Roman Catholic Order of Nuns, founded by a French lady, Victoire Larmenier, who later became known as Mother St. Basil.  Victoire Larmenier opened a home caring for elderly men, women, and orphaned or abandoned children of all denominations, on the Ormeau Road in Belfast in 1876." 
- from www.nio.gov.uk/media-detail.htm?newsID=11541
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 January 09 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Aghadowey,

I doubt that Emily was abandoned, orphaned yes but she had family and she was buried with her paternal aunt.  So Nazareth House was not a boarding school but a house of charity.  I’m starting to believe that this could not possibly be my Emily Johnson.  It is after all a common name.  I’ll keep digging because it doesn’t make sense that she wouldn’t have remained with her aunt when her parents died.  She is live with her aunt but maybe she did spend some time at Nazareth House.

Many thanks for your help and the link!

Claddagh

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 19 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Aghadowey,

I doubt that Emily was abandoned, orphaned yes but she had family and she was buried with her paternal aunt.  So Nazareth House was not a boarding school but a house of charity.  I’m starting to believe that this could not possibly be my Emily Johnson.  It is after all a common name.  I’ll keep digging because it doesn’t make sense that she wouldn’t have remained with her aunt when her parents died.  She was living with her aunt but maybe she did spend some time at Nazareth House.

Many thanks for your help and the link!

Claddagh

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 February 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much "dathai"! Finding information on these siblings has been a work in progress spanning many years.

Robert Johnson is their grandfather and James Johnson the informant is their father.

I appreciate your help.
 ;)