Author Topic: Jamieson Bone, Belleville Ontario  (Read 13084 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jamieson Bone, Belleville Ontario
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
and you can ask for a copy of this page  in what I THINK may be  Bryant Genealogy,Notes Toward??
https://secure3.zenutech.com/~ogs/ogspi/160/e160b049.htm
BONE Jamieson 1887-1958 page 7
BONE Jamie Florence J. -1977 page 7
( an email address is with that entry...you just need to take out the space)

I cannot find him in 1911census...

here is someone who may know more!
http://awt.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=rickjnav&id=I21474&ti=5543
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 January 09 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi KAMA
Jamieson Bone Insurance Brokers operated until the mid 1980's under the owner Violet Colden who I believe took over from the family.  Sadly the company is no longer in existence in Belleville as Ms. Colden sold out to a larger firm in the '80's.
I live in Belleville and Jamieson Bone was our insurance agent for many years. Belleville pays homage to alot of past mayors and people who have made contributions to the city by naming parks and streets after them.
Regards, Karen
Kerr/Lauchlan/Montgomery/Cook-Dalry, Ayrshire
Stewart/Wylie/Small/Jack-Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Davidson/Urquhart/Lindsay-Dreghorn, Ayrshire
Henderson-Kilbirnie, Ayrshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 January 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Another connection of a daughter (?) to military:
Harold Evans "Whitey" Dahl was a military pilot who fought in the Spanish Civil War for the Republicans, was one of the first Eagle Squadron pilots in Britain before the USA entered WWII, trained Canadian pilots in Ontario, Canada, then flew commercially throughout South America and in Switzerland, usually fleeing law enforcement. In Canada, Whitey married Eleanor Jamieson Bone and had 3 children.  Looking at the page all three have Graham for middle names...I imagine they are living so won't print names on here...
http://www.dis-danmark.dk/forum/read.php?11,496002

More re: Kariek's entry:
http://www.newmaninsurance.ca/Insurance-Brokers-Belleville.php

perhaps the manufacturer by the same name/ 1940 federal election was a son, then?

Marriage of another daughter 1942  http://www.elginogs.ca/newsindexes/timesjournal/sttj1942janthrufeb.htm
A. C. Persons, son of William E. Persons to Fl____  Jamieson Bone, daughter of Jamieson Bone
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 January 09 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again
I spoke with my husband about Jamieson Bone as he was born and raised in Belleville.  On old Hwy 2 west on the Bay of Quinte Jamieson Bone had a cottage on the bay, used only in the summer.  Across the road was the Graham estate, a huge mansion with 100 acres, the Grahams were quite a prominent family of the area in the early part of the century.  One of the Graham children married a Dahl, their daughter is a widely known author in Canada.  Vi Colden was related to the Jamieson's in some fashion and she inherited the cottage from the Jamiesons on their deaths.  Vi was a spinster and the business and her properties were sold.
You could write to the Belleville Cemetary Company for more info on the family.
Karen

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 February 09 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi KAMA
This past weekend in the Belleville newspaper "The Intelligencer" was an article about two sisters last name of Cameron whose Grandmother was Eleanor Bone daughter of Jamieson.  There is a picture of the two girls and they are screenwriters, they have a television show currently on CBC that is based on the Jamieson/Graham families.  You should be able to access this article if you are interested.
Karen

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 February 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
article here :    ( sounds as though grandma Eleanor was a bit of a party gal )
http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1413585

and another interesting story of her husband Harold Evans "Whitey" Dahl
http://www.acesofww2.com/Canada/aces/dahl.htm

Offline Stormcloud08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 October 10 05:22 BST (UK) »
Jamieson Bone (b. 1887 01 27 Dalry, Scotland - d.1958 03 14 Belleville ON Canada) was my grandfather. His father owned a leather tanning factory near Dalry. He did not serve in any wars, because of a stomach ulcer - which was a big deal back in 1914 - and a young family; however several of his brothers did. He had 5 siblings: David, Herbert, Esther, Louis, and Stewart, although not necessarily in that order. I do know that Uncle David was the eldest, though. He and Uncle Louis ended up living in Vineland Station ON, near Niagara Falls. I believe Herbert and wife Agnes Bone, as well as Stewart, moved to England, while Esther stayed in Scotland.

Vi Colden was "Jimmy" Bone's secretary, not a relative, and she inherited the insurance business from him after he died. We were all very fond of her, but she would have been very elderly if she kept the business going until the 1980s. I assume she was a bit younger than my grandfather, but he was 71 when he died in 1958.

There were 3 daughters, all of whom married servicemen. Uncle Whitey and my dad were Americans who came to Canada to join up and flew with the RCAF. My other uncle was a Colonel in the Canadian Army, was taken prisoner during the Dieppe Raid and awarded the Victoria Cross for his efforts.

The cottage just east of Montrose, which someone mentioned was built on land previously owned by my great grandfather, R.J. Graham. Originally it was a field, but my grandparents planted a lot of different trees on it, put up birdhouses to attract a variety of birds, and also grew vegetables and flowers there. My mother was born at the cottage in August of 1921, shortly after it was built. We moved out to the cottage in June - before school was out - and closed it up after Thanksgiving, which we always celebrated there. When no-one in the family could continue to take care of it, the cottage was sold and turned into a year-round home. I recently heard that it was about to be torn down, and I'm glad I won't be there to see that day.

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 October 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
I wasn't sure if Vi was related or not but I have vivid recollections of going into the office shared with J.S. to pay our premiums and I believe it was 1983-84.
I was on Hwy 2 just last week and the cottage seems to be well maintained what I could see of it through the trees.
Karen

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 October 10 19:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Stormcloud08
The cottage sounds lovely...as with all old family homes, hopefully photos & memory are what keep it alive

KarieK's thought on the date of change re: building ownership was actually substantiated by this link to the new owners which was posted earlier. A jaunt to the records office would clear it up as well, if it still doesn't sound feasible.
http://www.newmaninsurance.ca/Insurance-Brokers-Belleville.php