Author Topic: Jamieson Bone, Belleville Ontario  (Read 13083 times)

Offline Stormcloud08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jamieson Bone, Belleville Ontario
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 October 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
Interesting about the Newman Insurance Co. buying the building from "Miss Colden", as we knew her. I was under the impression that the ownership had transferred to my grandmother on J. Bone's death and that it had been sold shortly after she died in 1984. Between my mother's death in 1977 and my grandmother's, we used to get statements from Victoria & Grey Trust Co. detailing the rents charged to the various tenants. They didn't change between 1958 and 1977!! One dentist had had his office renovated and the floor strengthened to accept his equipment and the rent stayed the same at $25/mo. Someone else was paying $5/mo - probably fine in 1958.... I don't imagine my grandfather would have objected, though... if they had been tenants all along.

It was a beautiful building - possibly one of the original old Ontario stone ones. There was a fireplace in Granddaddy's office with a Phoenix in it. He represented Phoenix Insurance, and he probably got a chuckle out of placing the sculpture in the fireplace. He had a great sense of humour.

BTW, the cottage was designed so that it took advantage of all possible cross-drafts, since there was no air conditioning back in 1920. It was always comfortable in hot weather. Wouldn't it be great if more buildings were designed that way?

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
I don't think that Newman McCarten bought the building just the insurance business.  When the business was sold we opted to go with another broker rather than Newman and it was in 1989 that change took place.  I have been in the Jamieson Bone offices since that time and the new tenant has maintained the integrity of the office somewhat.
My husband's plumbing and heating business had the privilege of the maintenance of the water system at the cottage and the plumbing and heating systems at Montrose.  When the cottage was sold in the late eighties and renovated extensively the company installed the new plumbing and heating systems.  I believe that the home has been sold since again as has Montrose.
Coincidentally, my own paternal grandparents were born and raised in Dalry, Ayr and some descendents still reside there.
Karen
Kerr/Lauchlan/Montgomery/Cook-Dalry, Ayrshire
Stewart/Wylie/Small/Jack-Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Davidson/Urquhart/Lindsay-Dreghorn, Ayrshire
Henderson-Kilbirnie, Ayrshire

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Any relation to Muirhead Bone the artist? his nephew? Drummond Bone had a studio in Ayr, taught at Glasgow School of Art, I have one of his pic's.     Skoosh

Offline Stormcloud08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
What a small world, eh? When and why did your grandparents emigrate; where did they go? Have you ever been to Dalry? I have - one afternoon about 25 years ago. Lovely little town. When I got off the train from Glasgow, the station attendants asked me what I was doing there! LOL! When I told them, they wanted to know Grand-daddy's name, but they didn't recognise it. I wandered the main street - this was really a small village, I think - and just as Grand-daddy said, every other door led to a pub! I didn't dare go into any, thinking they would be filled with men and no women.... So eventually I left.

As for Muirhead and Drummond Bone, I sure wouldn't mind being related!! My grandfather was very musical, self taught on the piano and had a great signing voice, but no artistic talent. Still, I can't think of anyone else whose genes might have led to my Aunt NorNor (the party girl!) as well as my sister, being so artistic. You never know. I do wish I knew more about the Scottish side of the family.

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
My father and his brother were the only family that emigrated to Canada in 1947 where my father met my mother.  My father's family moved from Dalry to Glasgow in 1920 but some of the relations still live in Dalry, Kilwinning and Irvine area to this day.  I keep in touch with one cousin in Dalry a few times a year.  My father taught high school in Picton and I lived in Belleville...still do in a way just north of.
Family history is what we do on this site, tracing your Bone family should be quite easy.  I haven't run into any connection to my 10 or so Dalry families though.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
you likely have all this, but...
there was one more listed under parents Thomas Bone & Catharine Thomson, Burgher Church, Dalry, Ayr.
David Bone b. Apr. 18, 1881
Robert Currie Thomson b. Aug. 19, 1882
Esther Manners b. Jan. 17, 1884
Herbert Tom b. Dec. 17, 1884
jamieson
Stewart Thomson b. Nov. 26, 1889
Louis Templeton Bone b. Oct. 15, 1891
The middle names will help in your search as well...looking at naming patterns

Thomas Bone b. 21 July, 1857 Dalry, Ayr. to David Bone & Jane Jamieson
Catherine Jane Thomson b. Sept. 21, 1854, baptized Parish of Corstorphine, Midlothian to Robert Thomson & Margaret Manners
https://beta.familysearch.org

David Bone died April 7 1898 aged 73 years - Jane (Jeanie) Jamieson died Feb. 2 1896 aged 67
Son David, and daughters, Margaret & 2 Catherine Holmes also buried with them... http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/ayrshire-dalryold.htm
Batch Number: C115871- 9 children listed for them on IGI extr. (also births for other father's William & Robert)

David Bone married Jane Jamieson -Feb.20 1849 Beith, Ayr, Scotland ( on same batch file a Gilbert Bone married a Jane Kerr 1842...also 48 Jamieson listed)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
With this new method of searching, it is not clear which are submissions...These are all extracted IGI
other births have father's name as Robert Currie Thomson
There is a marriage to Margaret Manners Dec. 31 1850 Dalry, Ayr
Her father is listed on the new site as Hugh Manners
Their first child Alexander John Thomson 1852, Catherine Jane 1854, Margaret Helen 1856, a son 1860, Elizabeth Manners 1861, Esther Burns 1864, Helen Thomson 1871,

same batch file # C116785 has 39 results for Thomson ( only one of which has a "P")

Robert Currie Thomson b. Sept. 6 1824 Corstorphine, Midlothian...parents: Alexander Thomson & Margaret Currie
Christening for a Margaret Manners - Sept. 28, 1828, Dalry, Ayr  father Hugh

Margaret Currie marriage to Alexander Thomson Feb 12 1821 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
same batch file # M119834 has 18 Currie / 127  Thomson / 2 Manners

Have found this page with more on same line, but you'll need to check on the validity of it all
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.scotland.mln.general/547.576.577.581/mb.ashx
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
J.J.
I do have Jamiesons in my Stewart family line, I must check that out, thanks
Karen

Offline KarieK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 October 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
StormCloud
You may want to have a look at the Ayrshire Roots site, they have the Ardrossan/Saltcoats Intimation index.  I checked it and has the marriage of Thomas to Catherine, some births of theirs, marriages and the death notices of both David and Jamieson. David married Jean Cunningham Wylie (another of my family names) 1906 in Dalry, he died Feb 1962 in Canada.
I also have a book called "Dalry Remembered" which is now out of print, its a pictorial of Dalry with many Dalry families and their businesses mentioned.  What was the name of Thomas's Tannery?
Karen