Author Topic: Crawford & Strahan anyone  (Read 7497 times)

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ballymena, Co Antrim, take me home...country roads
    • View Profile
Crawford & Strahan anyone
« on: Wednesday 07 January 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that someone can help with finding my 18th century ancestors.
My G/G/G Grandfather Robert Crawford b.05.04.1791 d.12.12.1874 from Clough (Ballycraigagh) was married to Ann Strahan b.12.11.1786 d. @Dec 1848.

I have been to Clough graveyard and found their childrens graves (2 of their sons are ancestors) but crucially not their graves.

My feeling/hope is Ann would have been buried in her family graveyard with her parents. Following this Robert would have been placed with her when he passed on in 1874.

Does anyone know of a way to locate their resting place?

Happy new year, and thanks for any help.
Crawford: Kilburnie to Clough
Strahan: Clough
McKillen: Ballyclug/Tully
McCue: Broughshane

Offline lyn42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crawford & Strahan anyone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello - Just posting some information on my database and checking Strahan names on internet when I noticed your connection of Ann & Mary Strahan. Ann Strahan certainly fits with your information except Robert Crawford's birthdate is given as 5 Apr 1781 ( I have no clue whether this is right or not) and I have a Mary Strahan being married to Daniel McKay  - her birthdate is given as 1812. I am trying to confirm the names of the parents of Ann and Mary Strahan. I am finding my info hard to follow. Mary and Daniel had daughter Jane who married Robert Aicken.
Any Strahan information much appreciated. I am trying to build our Northern Ireland Strahan line.  Cheers   
Lyn

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn42

Daniel McKay and Mary Strahan were my gt gt gt grandparents but they married in 1833 so no marriage certificate is available.  From family information I understand that Mary's brother Samuel Strahan married Mary Hyndman in Ballymena in 1848, so I ordered a photocopy of their marriage certiciate and it gives his father's name also as Samuel of Rathkenny.  He is likely to be the Samuel Strahan of Rathkenny in the 1851 census whose wfe Mary is shown as having died in Spring 1846.

Offline lyn42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for your prompt reply. This is certainly the line I am  trying to sort out. On the database I have there seems to be a mixup with the Samuel Strahan and confusion reigns or it does with me anyway and I am trying to get my head around it.
The Samuel and Mary (they have Samuel's death date as  25 Jan 1855) and quote Samuel of Dunbought but for Mary Strahan who married Daniel McKay it looks like they have parents as Samuel Strahan of Rathkenny who married Jean Martin.
Can you enlighten me - much appreciated.
Lyn

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
It is  my belief that Daniel McKays mother was Jean Martin....not Mary Strahans. I have Samuel Strahan married to Mary McIntyre b1794 d1846

Offline lyn42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 09 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.  You may have solved a very big mystery for us.. Thank you very much.
The naming patterns make it very hard to follow at times.
This is not my direct line - my Strahans coming from Armagh but another friend here in West Australia is from the Antrim line and I am trying to help her sort her line.
It is the early Strahans that we have trouble with. If I can be of assistance with any Strahan information I am happy to help. There are many Crawford's mentioned in the info I have just been given.

Cheers

Lyn

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 February 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
HI. thanks for the offer. I'm assuming you have just been given something from Mr Kane. We have been in contact in the past with regards to this line...(I think I'm correct in that we are 4th cousins)...the mckay line and the crawford line intertwine regularly, as do the strahans and alexanders. Basically i think there were only 4 families in Clough at that time  :) and they all intermarry.
Going back to your earliest message...
Ann Strahan is Samuel Strahans sister....therefore Mary Strahans aunt.
I have nothing but guesswork beyond this. For some reason I have taken a guess at Anns father being a John Straghorn but i dont remember why> possibly his name is on a census or griffiths valuation for the ballycraigagh area.
I would love to find their graves but was disappointed to discover they werent in Clough graveyard when i went hunting there at xmas...Daniel and Mary (Strahan) McKay are there and have a very fine monument to them and their family.
Does anyone know if there is another graveyard in the general vicinity which would have been in use around 1850s as I think this is where Ann Strahan, Robert Crawford, Samuel Strahan etc may all rest?

Offline SIMW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 February 09 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Try the History from Headstones website. I think I found  Robert and Ann's headstone inscription there.

Offline dwrcrawford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 February 09 00:38 GMT (UK) »
amazing. can you give me the Graveyard Name, Civil Parish, Town/townland your search thru up so i can purchase some credit and get the right one to view. Thanks.