Author Topic: William McGowan b. Abt 1807 Kelton  (Read 21916 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
Re: William McGowan b. Abt 1807 Kelton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Just to answer your question about Kelton.  There is only one parish called Kelton and it is in Kirkcudbrightshire.  For some reason Scotland's People have it in Dumfriesshire which is wrong!  This has been pointed out to them but nothing seems to have been done about it. Mary

Thought I'd add my tuppence worth  :) Kelton was, for whatever reason the registration/census people saw fit to do this, included in Dumfriesshire when Civil Registration took over from Parish records in 1855. My source? Some documents on the Dumfriess Council website (before the URL changed) that don't discuss this, but clearly show that this was when the change took place. The "turf wars" continue, but I have found it easier just to search in both counties when I am looking for somebody in Kelton....starting with Dumfriesshire. Geographically and for all other purposes, I understand that  Kelton "belongs" to Kirkcudbrightshire ....Not so Callywoods :D   
Scatterling
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Georgraphically, the parish of Kelton (which includes Castle Douglas) is definitely in Kirkcudbrightshire - or the Stewartry.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/Kelton/index.html

The village of Kelton is in Dumfriesshire.  For some unknown reason, the SP site has it under Dumfriesshire.

The whole area is now Dumfries and Galloway for Admin purposes.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »

Agnes married Thomas Tweedie b. 1818 in "Cairne" Dalton Parish, Dumfries. 
Thanks
Brenda

Brenda,
I have just posted a note on the Kelton controversy - which was the least complicated part! I am interested in the McGowan/Tweedie connection because I have Tweedies from Totherwald (DFS) and later Rerrick, in my McMurray tree. I will look through my stuff and see if I have Agnes and Thomas Tweedie, although I may not have followed all the Tweedie lines.  If I find anything I will post again.  Serendipitously my married name is McGowen, with an "e" ..... they came to the USA in 1755 S. Carolina! My McMurray tree (with Tweedies) is on ancestry.com. If you'd like an invitation, let me know.
Megan
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
By the way Scatza - I've posted quite a bit on you McLeans today.  In case you hadn't seen it.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 January 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I saw it, saw that you were on-line too, and was busy tring to catch up with the latest. I recently lost my husband to leukemia so have not be around for a while  :-[
Scatza

Offline MAINEYUSA

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I have lots of Tweedie information too.  My Aunt, who researched for many years before I started, handed down her genealogy to me.  She wanted it to go to someone who would continue the work.  I also have a copy of the Michael Forbes Tweedie genealogy published in 1902.  My Agnes (McGosan) Tweedie died in Feb 1881 at Whitecroft.  This is the farm they lived on in Dumfries, and I have several pics of this farm.  Her husband and all but one of the children immigrated to the US in 1895.  I have the naturalization papers of their son John.  John would be my great grandfather.  When coming to the US, they settled around the Boston Massachusetts area, living in Somerville, Franklin, and Medway.  Thomas died in 1891, so we don't believe he was here long enough to be naturalized, or at least we haven't found the paperwork to date.  My Tweedies came from the Drummelzier area, as for many generations they lived and died at the Drummelzier Castle.  If I can do lookups for you in any of this genealogy I have, let me know.  I would be glad to do this.

Brenda
HENSLEY, Hemsley, Norfolk, England>USA>VA, NC, TN, KY, ME

NICKERSON, St Peters Permontergate, Norwich, Norfolk, England>USA>MA>NH>ME

TWEEDIE, Dalton Par., Scotland, County Of Dumfries>USA>MA>ME

SAWYER, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England>USA>MA>NH

JENKINS, Cornwall PEI Canada>USA>MA

TOURTILLOTTE, La Rochelle, Poitou Provence, France>USA>RI>MA>ME

COLLINS, ST. ANTHONE, SALTASH, CORNWALL, ENGLAND>USA>MD>VA>NC

PRATT, Aston, Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England> USA>MA>ME

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Brenda :) I have contacted you personally.
Scatza

Offline MAINEYUSA

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 04:36 BST (UK) »
I think I am finally getting somewhere.  I still have not found the birth record for Agnes McGowan, who was supposed to have been born around 1827 in Kelton.  Her parents were William McGowan b. abt 1790 Kelton, I have his death record and he is listed on both his daughter's death record and that of his wife Janet Kerr who was born abt 1807 Dalton, Dumfries.  William's death cert lists his parents as William McGowan b. 1755 Caerlaverock, and Mary Hannah.  I found a marriage cert for them, they married 3 Jan 1784 in Dumfries.  I found birth records for Agnes brothers: Robert and Edward, both born Kelton.  I don't know why there would not be a record of birth for Agnes.  I think maybe the date of 1827 is wrong.  I did find a birth record for an Agnes McGowan 1827, but it lists her parents as William McGowan and Jane Hairstain.  Don't think this is her.  It seems her brothers were born 1842 and 1844.  Agnes married Thomas Tweedie in 1851 Dalton Parish, so if she were not born 1827, then she married very young.  I also found that Janet Kerr's parents were James Kerr and Janet Neilson, both supposed to be born in Dumfries.  I will get there one day.  Thankyou all for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Brenda
HENSLEY, Hemsley, Norfolk, England>USA>VA, NC, TN, KY, ME

NICKERSON, St Peters Permontergate, Norwich, Norfolk, England>USA>MA>NH>ME

TWEEDIE, Dalton Par., Scotland, County Of Dumfries>USA>MA>ME

SAWYER, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England>USA>MA>NH

JENKINS, Cornwall PEI Canada>USA>MA

TOURTILLOTTE, La Rochelle, Poitou Provence, France>USA>RI>MA>ME

COLLINS, ST. ANTHONE, SALTASH, CORNWALL, ENGLAND>USA>MD>VA>NC

PRATT, Aston, Clinton, Buckinghamshire, England> USA>MA>ME

Offline lousia006

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 November 09 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I have found a record of a James Kerr, born 1850 in Troqueer, Kirkcudbright. He is on the 1851 Scotland census and 1861 England census living with the Laurie family. It says he is the grandson of a James Laurie. James also had a daughter called Janet.

In 1841 this family lived at High Arkland Farm House, Kelton, Kirkcudbrightshire.
in 1851(when James Kerr is first listed) they are living in Dumfries.
In 1861 they are living in Toxteth Park, Liverpool

Is this any relation?