Author Topic: Robson/Little  (Read 5603 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robson/Little
« on: Thursday 08 January 09 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi.   Can anyone give me info on an Archibald ROBSON(b1812? d 19 Nov 1889) who I think married a Mgt LITTLE(b ?  d 1881? in Jedburgh)in 1830 ?   I believe his father was Adam and his mother was Margaret Turnbull

many thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Robson/Little
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 17:43 GMT (UK) »
hi  :)
welcome to rootschat

scotlandspeople has                                                                                               death margaret robson(nee little) 1815 - 1881 jedburgh roxburgh

91 castlegate jedburgh

archibald robson 73 mason(unemployed) born jedburgh roxburgh
margaret robson 69 wife born cavers roxburgh
robert robson 17 grandson tailor hawick roxburgh

jedburgh roxburgh

archibald robson 28 mason journeyman
margaret robson 24
adam robson 10
john robson 7
george robson 4
james robson 2
all born roxburgh

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, ev.  The surname ROBSON caught my eye, as well as Jedburgh.  I have identified a man who I believe was one of my ancestors - Andrew Robson.

Andrew was baptised in 1770.  According to a copy I received from Scotlands People he was the son of George and Mina Robson born Nov. 10.  It looks like the family was from Oxnam, although the writing is very difficult to make out.  Another person is listed who I can't read, possibly the landholder where George was a tenant farmer, who was a witness.  I'd also learned Andrew's birthdate from FamilySearch.  I got the name Andrew from his son's marriage certificate.  It is the only documentation I have of a relationship.  I have other verification that the son, John, was born in Newcastleton, but can find no baptism records to support that.

George's father may have been David; his mother Margaret Lillico.   David's father may have been Adam or Andrew; mother Elizabeth McKall.  This information came from someone else; I have not been able to document it personally.  I will have to see if there is a source for Jedburgh baptisms other than Scotlands Peoples - perhaps LDS records or online.

Although the Christian names aren't an exact fit, they do fit the naming pattern of my possible ancestors.  I've learned to heed that as well as the opposite fact.

I don't know if my research has any relation to yours or not, but felt I should share it, just in case.   RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 09 11:01 BST (UK) »
hi redfox  :)

thank you for your post
i'm not related to this family , just helping out
but maybe someone else will see it
there are 405 entries for surname robson on the 1841 census on freeCEN
website(roxburghshire)
the 1851 census is also there and about 33% of the 1861 census is on
don't know if you have looked at that ?

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 July 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for writing anyway, ev.  My John Robson had left the area in SCT by the time of the 1841 census, although his family may still have been there.  I'm trying to learn more about them so see if that's true.

John was married in Cumberland in 1838.  I don't know if he ever went north again.  Of course, it wasn't that far.  Or if any of his family came to visit.  It's a brick wall.  John was born about 1799, but I have no knowledge of his life until 1838.  Then, I'm able to follow it until his death in 1884.  That means there's 39 years of the man's life missing!

I sometimes wish the name wasn't so popular.  I know just from seaching Scotlands People how many shared it.  It was also a name from the time of the reivers, and they were very prolific on both sides of the border.  It always amazes me that there were that many people around at the time when villages only had a few hundred people or less.

Now that I have a baptisimal certificate on the man I believe was John's father, I'll take another look at the 1841 census.  With no more on John birth though, I can't strongly tie them together.  I got the name from John's marriage certificate.  A very iffy proposiiton.

Thanks for your insight.  RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline RCR43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 09 06:41 BST (UK) »
I have done some tracing of my family tree -
from Adam & Margaret, they had a son Archibald who married
Margaret Little.  They had 4 sons, Adam. John, George and James.
George married Isabella Lumsden.  They had several children, one of whom was my great grandfather, Gilbert. 
Gilbert died approx 1954, and is buried in New Westminster, B.C.
Canada.

Ron Robson

Offline Timothy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 November 09 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a Margaret Balmer daughter of Robert Balmer and Jean Robson.Jean parents I dont know Jean was born in Jedburgh around 1797 she died 1847 in Jedburgh.Do you know of her?
Coleman Crawford Atherton in Poplar

Offline RCR43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 November 09 21:17 GMT (UK) »
That would be a negative.  From what I have gathered, my ancestor
Adam Robson would have been born around 1780.  It is possible that he had a sister Jean, but not in my records as yet. 
It is a fairly common name for the area, but anything is possible if
there are records.

Ron Robson