Author Topic: Holohan/Brennan, Egan/Britt & Taylor/Holohan - Ballyragget  (Read 6212 times)

Offline mikell45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Holohan/Brennan, Egan/Britt & Taylor/Holohan - Ballyragget
« on: Saturday 10 January 09 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am a descendant of a Michael Holohan and Mary Brennan – their son Michael Holohan born abt 1811 in Ballyragget, Kilkenny married Julia Egan (alias Judith Hogan). Julia was born abt 1820 also in Ballyragget to John (Hogan) Egan and Catherine Britt. I am trying to find out any info Michael and Julia’s parents and siblings.

Michael and Julia married sometime around 1841 prior to them setting out to the Colony of New South Wales, They departed Plymouth on the ship “Lady Kennaway” on the 13th June 1841 and arrived in Sydney  the 12th October 1841. Two months later their first child was born in Camden on the 13th December 1841, there followed, 8 more children, all born in New South Wales. Michael died on the 22nd September 1888 aged 77 at Camden and Julia on the 6th September 1907 aged 87.

Three additional members of the family immigrated – Michael Holohan and Mary Brennan’s grandchildren, Ann Taylor (born 1833 in Ballyragget) and her brothers Thomas (born 1828, Ballyragget) & John (born 1840 Ballyragget). 
Ann and Thomas went out to join their Uncle Michael Holohan on the ship "David McIver" in 1852. Their uncle, Michael, paid their passage. Ann Taylor was to marry John Edward Taylor on the 6th August 1855 at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, Sydney. Thomas married Catherine Ryan in 1854 Campbelltown, NSW.
John Taylor immigrated to NSW on the "Herald of the Morning" in 1859 and married Mary A Coffey in 1862 in Penrith, NSW.

I hope to hear from other descendants of this Holohan/Brennan and Egan/Britt family as well as the Taylor’s. There must be many descendants that I am unaware of, still in Ireland and elsewhere.....

Best regards
Michael
www.sheather.co.uk

Sheather, Metcalf, Metcalfe, Peters, Cuthbert - all Sussex. Biffin & Goodfellow - Wiltshire

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
Re: Holohan/Brennan, Egan/Britt & Taylor/Holohan - Ballyragget
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 February 09 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

This may be something, most likely not.

I'm researching my great grandfather Thomas Brennan born approx 1870's thought to have originated from Kilkenny but possibly Roscommon.

I have very little info but his daughter Lydia (my grandmother) left Ireland for America 1929.

The ships lists states that she travelled with her cousin Julia Egan aged 17y rs.

Julia gives her her last permanent address as Balinasloe and her fathers name a K Egan, she was travelling to New York to stay with her brother also K Egan who was living with Michael Mulvey.

Two Mulvey brothers from Athlone were travelling with Julia and Lydia.

Regards Jackie
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline mikell45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 February 09 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jackie,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, I know nothing at all of any other memebers of the families other then my original posting.
Good luck with your research.
Michael
Sheather, Metcalf, Metcalfe, Peters, Cuthbert - all Sussex. Biffin & Goodfellow - Wiltshire

Offline Hools26

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael

My surname is Holohan and I have just started tracing my family tree and have traced it back to the Michael Holohan that came to Aus in 1841 aboard the lady kennaway. I also came across both Michael and judith's parents names but no more info than that.

I'm keen to share info that I have found with and to read through any info that you have available. Feel free to email me.

Regards

Matt

Offline Marilyn Taylor

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 January 15 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike

I live in Australia and am doing my family history and  one part is the Taylors.
The connection to your research is as follows:

My children's
Father - Paul Taylor B 1949
Grandfather - James Patrick Taylor B 1920  - D 1993 , brother John Patrick Taylor B 1930 - D 1981
G Grandfather - William Sylvester Taylor B 1873 - D1949 m Margaret O'Neill b1896- D 1962
GG Grandfather John Taylor B 1840 - D 1902 m Mary Ann Coffey B 1834 - D 1921  they had 9 children

John Taylor 9 children were:

Michael Joseph B 1862
John Francis B 1864
Lydia R B 1865
Patrick B 1866
Thomas B 1867
James B 1871
William B 1873
Henry B 1874
Unknown

All the children were born at Penrith, Sydney the family moved to Orange, NSW and had a farm on the Cargo Road before moving into Orange and Dubbo, NSW.

Mary Ann's parents were Patrick Coffey B 1806, Limerick m Oola to Catherine Nash B 1811 from Limerick.
Patrick and Cathrine arrive on the 'Commodore Perry' in 1856 with 5 children whilst  another 4 children had already arrived in 1855. Patrick was a founding settler in the Penrith area as a tenant farmer, which is where John and Mary Ann married.

Hoping this email reaches you,
if so I have more info this was to start...
Marilyn Taylor