Author Topic: Flora Marie Dorette Sophie McDonald  (Read 8288 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Flora Marie Dorette Sophie McDonald
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »

The 1911 lady that I found at a military base in Guildford is indeed correct.
Ian says the 1911 clearly says Dorette(if you know that's what it's supposed to say  ;))

No sign of dad John though.

If anyone can offer suggestions as to where he is that would be great  ;D

Ian

Have you tried posting on the Miltary board of Rootschat to see if anyone can suggest where the kids dad was in 1911.Or have you found his Army service record yet?

I wonder if they kept swapping their names round to avoid being found  ::)
And changing the surname from Mac to Mc at the drop of a hat too!

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your responses

1) Jorose

I found Lucy Feldmann aged 39 who also appears in subsequent censuses. Feldmann is her married name so she doesn't appear to qualify.

Lucy Feldman(n) aged 20 in Leeds appears to be about the right age but I can't find her in the 1971 census. Can you give me a pointer? What was your search term? It would be helpful if we could find her getting married.

Which Scottish records should I search and why? The marriage was in London. The groom was an English soldier and his parents were Irish but living in Brighton.

2)Carol

I'll post a question on the Military board but can you tell me how I go about finding his army service record?
I know that in 1905 John McDonald was a sergeant in the East Lancashire Regiment. I also know that he was a Chelsea Pensioner (living in Chelsea Hospital) when he died around 1951 but I haven't found a record of his death or of his time at Chelsea Hospital.

The Mac/Mc problem is a nuisance but unlikely to be deliberate. If your'e called McDonald in England you learn very early in life not to worry how people spell your name. By and large it's not worth the effort of correcting it every time it's spelled wrong!

Regards,

Ian
+++

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Lucy Feldmann the 20 yr old German housemaid is enumerated in 1871 at:

RG10/4560/53/15

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Which Scottish records should I search and why? The marriage was in London. The groom was an English soldier and his parents were Irish but living in Brighton.

The marriage of Dorette to to Mr Mc was London, and he was English soldier with Irish parents
BUT we havent found marriage of her mum Lucy F to another Mr Mc, who we dont know form whence he came! I think it was for this marriage that Scotland was suggested, as this Mr Mc could be a Scottish one, maybe. And no one can find the marriage in England .....!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
The BC names her as Dorette Sophia Maria, her father as John MacDonald, occupation butler, and her mother as Lucy Leonora MacDonald formerly Feldmann. Informant was L L MacDonald, Mother, residing at Paddington Workhouse, which was also the place of birth. DOB 8/9/76.

The MC names her as Mary Dorette Sophia Flora McDonald (sic), 27, spinster, living at Park House, St Johns Wood, with no Occupation. Her father is listed as John McDonald, Butler.

Ian, just an observation (from someone trying to find rellies in Paddington/St Marylebone with Catholic origins).

I do have my grandmother's Confirmation Certificate, usually the person being confirmed takes a 'confirmation name'.  My friends daughter's all took Therese after Saint Therese of Lisieux.

It's possible an extra name came from her confirmation (although I have just realised the extra name is Flora?  Not sure if I have ever heard of Saint Flora (but I could be wrong - it would not be the first time  ;D

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that was my thought - also in Sculcoates in 1901 there are John McDonalds born both in Scotland and one in Ireland...
Irish records are also a possibility.
We should probably also check overseas bmds in case there was a marriage elsewhere.
If he was a butler, he could have travelled about - either when his employer was travelling or having originally been working in Scotland and then was recommended for a post in London.

There is a John McDonald, aged 45, b. Bedale, Yorkshire in St. Marylebone in 1901 who is widowed and has occupation of Domestic Butler, if anybody can supply the full info for him.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »

There is a John McDonald, aged 45, b. Bedale, Yorkshire in St. Marylebone in 1901 who is widowed and has occupation of Domestic Butler, if anybody can supply the full info for him.

He's one of several lodgers in a lodging house at 19 Seymour Mews, St Marylebone (RG13/108/48/51):

John Macdonald Lodger Widr 45 Butler Bedale Yorks

The other lodgers are all single male workers.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 00:27 GMT (UK) »
From a combination of the Times and census I found who was living in Park House in 1881 - John E. Gardner, 69, b. St. Martins and three of his children (his son listed as John J was John Starkie Gardner who is mentioned in the times as J. Starkie Gardner). They had several servants - perhaps Doretta was working at this house when she married.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 09:12 GMT (UK) »
J Starkie Gardner LOL

I used to work for a Company of that name in Hadleigh Suffolk in the 1970s.
They had moved from south west London and made balustrading and staircasing.

Wonder if it is the same Starkie Gardner  :o

Pat ...
Now off to do some Googling  :D
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?