Author Topic: Flora Marie Dorette Sophie McDonald  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Flora Marie Dorette Sophie McDonald
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Lots on J Starkie Gardner 1844-1930  ::)
Looks like JSG the son.

The following has an article on the Company
http://www.glias.org.uk/news/213news.html

It also mentions that he was known as 'Metalworker to King Edward VII'

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello

The Gardner family were still living at Park House, St John's Wood Park in 1901 and 1911, each time with 4 servants, but no sign of Mary Dorette.

Thoughtless of her to have been there right between two census dates!

I have had a further look at the (fragmented) 1905 Wedding Report of Mary Dorette (referred to in the Report as Flora McDonald) and John McDonald. Intriguingly a Mr Gardner Esquire and Miss Gardner (from Park House maybe??) are listed as having given a wedding present although it's not clear whether they were actually wedding guests.

In addition, although the bride's parents are stated to be Mr John and Mrs McDonald of Scarborough, the list of guests and presents includes "bride's father, eiderdown quilt" with no mention of the bride's mother so perhaps Mrs McD was not present. This would put
John McDonald, aged 45, b. Bedale, Yorkshire in St. Marylebone in 1901 who is widowed and has occupation of Domestic Butler
in contention. Bedale is only across the Yorkshire Moors from Scarborough and only a similar distance from Leeds where a Lucy Feldmann was employed in 1871.

Downside is that John would be only 19/20 to Lucy's 25 when Mary Dorette was conceived/born and how would she have got from employment as a single girl in Leeds in 1871 to Paddington Workhouse as a married mother in 1876. Perhaps, if this is the right couple, they simply didn't marry.
And where was their daughter between 1876 and 1905?

Has anyone any ideas?

I still don't seem able to post a photo here. Can anyone help me?

Regards,

Ian
+++

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I think some boards don't allow attachments - I can't attach an image to this thread either.

If she was working for the Gardners then that would explain both the address and the gift. (Hmm).  Also, the age of John in 1901 might be off as he's a lodger, as could the

There is a Doretta C. "Fettmann" on the 1881 census in Manningham (Bradford area), Yorkshire, 25 years old, single.

In Aiskew, Yorkshire in 1881 (very near Bedale), there's a Sarah MacDonald, 60, b. Ireland, lodging house keeper, with granddaughter Flora MacDonald, 5, b. Bradford.
I think in 1871 Sarah is in Kirby Fleetham parish, with husband Walter and a son, Joseph, listed. Joseph is 28 in 1871 and doesn't marry until 1880. No sign of them in 1861 that I can see.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

Re: attaching a photo to this post

Historically, the majority of attachments that used to be posted on the request boards were census and certificate images.

For copyright reasons this is not allowed, so the facility to attach images is blocked on the 'look-up request' boards.

Sorry.

Dawn.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol

I was just about to post my questions on the Armed Forces board when I noticed it specifically asks for no look-up requests. Did you have another Military board in mind?

Thanks

Ian
+++

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 05 February 09 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Ian,this is the one I meant,as opposed to the armed forces resources board  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html

In that section you also have the option to choose a WW1 or WW2 board too.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 April 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I've spent some time now trying to trace my Grandmother's parents and this is a resume of what little I have found. Much of it has already appeared on this thread but I have tried to tie together all the bits and pieces I have (which is not really very much).

According to her Birth Certificate (September 1876) she was born Dorette Maria Sophia MacDonald on 8th September 1876 in Paddington Workhouse. Her father is listed as John MacDonald (although the cert is not signed by him), occupation Butler. 
Her mother is listed as Lucy Leonora MacDonald formerly Feldmann who signs herself LL MacDonald

According to her Marriage Certificate (September 1905) on which she appears and signs as Mary Dorette Sophie Flora McDonald, her father is John McDonald (although signed by him John Macdonald), occupation  Butler. In the Wedding report (apparently intended for a local newspaper) the Bride’s parents are listed as John and Mrs McDonald of Scarborough.

In 1901 there is a John Macdonald, aged 45, b. Bedale, Yorkshire, widower, living at 19 Seymour Mews, London (St. Marylebone district), occupation Domestic Butler.

In 1891 there is a John Macdonald, aged 34, b. Catterick, Yorkshire, (quite close to Bedale!), said to be single, living at Cadwell Hall, Lincolnshire, occupation Butler.

In 1881 I can find no candidate.

In 1871 there is a John McDonald, aged 14, b. York (perhaps Yorks?), an errand boy living at the Wheatsheaf Inn, 32 Upper Head Row, Leeds. This is within half a mile of where Lucy Feldmann, aged 20 according to the census – but maybe she overstated her age – from Germany, is living as a housemaid at 5 Fallowfield, Leeds. I realise this is stretching it a bit but I need straws to clutch at.

The factors linking (you may think somewhat weakly) these entries are the occupation of Butler and the county of Yorkshire.

Apart from the Lucy Feldmann living in Leeds in 1871 and the Lucy Leonora MacDonald appearing on the BC, I can find no references identifiable as the Lucy Feldmann/Macdonald/MacDonald/McDonald who was my great-grandmother.

Nor can I find a death record for either of these people.

Can anyone help me confirm or eliminate any of the above listings or suggest other avenues to explore?

Perhaps I should post this on the Yorkshire board as well?

Any advice welcome.

Regards,

Ian
+++

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 17:02 BST (UK) »
Update in case any more descendants turn up. 2 recent threads with more information.

Flora Sophie Dorothy MacDonald
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=849658.0

Patrick McDonald
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=846754.0
Cowban