Author Topic: Croydon:Oval Road School  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Ann from Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Croydon:Oval Road School
« on: Wednesday 09 February 05 15:39 GMT (UK) »
My great uncle SYDNEY BEAUMONT was headmaster at this school, presumably sometime before WW1. He was killed in France in 1918, aged 38 and the information that he was the headmaster at Oval Road School comes from CWGC website. Obviously, there won't be anyone alive today who remembers him...but does anyone know anything at all about this school? Does it still exist? Any background information would be welcome to help me build a picture of his life.
Lenhart(all areas): Beaumont, Steele, Phillips (Sussex): Daniels,  Kanngiesser (London): Lally (Ireland, London, Sussex): Mitchelhill (Scotland, London): Roberts (Kent): Excell (Kent, Sussex): Spice (Kent):Rains (Derbys, Nottingham): Greatorex (Derbys): Guy (Leics, Nottingham): Calcraft (Leics) Hebden, Willey (Yorks): Palmer (Lincs)

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Croydon:Oval Road School
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have found this site that gives quite a lot of information on Croydon and gives some info on the school, your Sidney Beaumont also gets a meniton under the roll of honour.

http://www.croydononline.org/

nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Ann from Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! I knew Rootschat would be a help, as so often in the past.
Lenhart(all areas): Beaumont, Steele, Phillips (Sussex): Daniels,  Kanngiesser (London): Lally (Ireland, London, Sussex): Mitchelhill (Scotland, London): Roberts (Kent): Excell (Kent, Sussex): Spice (Kent):Rains (Derbys, Nottingham): Greatorex (Derbys): Guy (Leics, Nottingham): Calcraft (Leics) Hebden, Willey (Yorks): Palmer (Lincs)

Offline FIFI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't know if it will be of any help but Croydon Local Studies library has got quiet a lot of school registers and log books which will also tell you where he went to after oval school. :)
Cooper & Williams Norwood & Croydon (Gipsies)
Mills Mitcham & Croydon (Gipsies)
Gomm Croydon,Streatham,Chalfont st Petera
Bulgin Surrey & Kent

Offline Ann from Sussex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you.I used the Croydon online website which took me to Croydon Archives. I had quite a correspondence with one of their archivists who was very interested to receive all the information I had (including a photograph) concerning my great uncle and his family. In return for this, they kindly sent me photocopies of some of the school log-book entries in his handwriting, plus details of his career at the school. They were also able to give me the date he enlisted and the name of his first regiment. It has all added to my family knowledge and I am so grateful for Rootschat's help. Ann

Offline Toby Martlew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Ann from Sussex - I am the current head at what Oval Road evolved into. To mark the centenary of the end of WW1 we intend to rename our new building after Sidney Beaumont and put something up to comemerate all the masters and old boys lost in the war.

It would be great if you can attend or at the very least if you have a picture of him we can have it would be great.

Please email the school office to get in touch - www.arkovalprimary.org