Author Topic: Where to begin in Roscommon?  (Read 5829 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where to begin in Roscommon?
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have never delved in to Irish ancestors before so I have no idea where to start....  I am researching my godfathers family and according to the England 1881 census they originiated from Roscommon.

John Mulleague married Julia Ann Hynes in Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1878.  He was born in Roscommon and she in Huddersfield.  She was born c1850.

Basically I'm looking for John Mulleagues birth and anything prior to that.

Julia Hynes parents were also Irish.  Her mother Catherine (maiden name unknown) was also from Roscommon and her father Charles Hynes was born in Castlebar (I assume that is in Mayo) 

So I am also looking for the marriage of Catherine and Charles.  They had children in Ireland then Julia was the 1st to be born in England.

Please can you point me in the right direction for finding these things if they even still exist?

Thank you in anticipation
Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where to begin in Roscommon?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 January 09 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Legs,
well it's not that eay but it is an unusual name from the looks of it.
You would be looking for Parish records probably and round about 1850s these are often missing or scant.

Griffiths Valuation has 3 entries for James Mulleague all in the same parish but different townlands so whether this is 3 different people or not.. :-\
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

I would have thought that there may be spelling variations too, to make it more difficult but at the moment perhaps that would be best left.

Firstly, it would be good to have the marriage certificate of John and Julia to find his father's name.

You may want to look at this too: http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml

best wishes
heywood

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the prompt reply Heywood.

The said marriage certificate should be in the post as we speak!

Thanks for the link I'll have a look.  I believe there were a number of differing spellings of Mulleague which as you say will make things trickier!

Legs
xxxx

PS - I've just had a look at the website but I have no idea what it means....?  How can I find out more about those James Mulleagues and the land they owned?

Also, a random question (showing my distinct lack of Irish history) why would they have moved from Ireland to England?  I presume work?  On the 1881 census John Mulleague is a policeman but on the 1891 he is a chemical works labourer.
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the Leitrim Roscommon page and find Griffiths - this gives the information which was collected- there are explanations on both this and Failte Romhat about Griffiths.
The info is really the land that person was working and if there was a house etc- not very informative other than the person and the owner's name really.

Also on that site- look for the 1901 census for Roscommon and search for Mulleague. Again only 3 entries or so and 2, I think, are same places as before so it does seem to narrow your search.

Then, if it was me, I would start googling to find anything to do with the townlands or parish.  ;)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 January 09 20:22 GMT (UK) »
ok, thanks Heywood.  Gives me somewhere to start anyway!!!

Google is the way forward!

Although my Mulleagues are on England by 1881......

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 January 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I know but they might have relatives who stayed in Roscommon  ???

At the moment, and we could be on a wild goose chase but, the name seems to be confined to a particular area - both in England - yours and in Roscommon so it might be a place to start.

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 January 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Right, google here I come!
WL-Williams

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 09 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
I forgot all about Julia - what horrid spellings in the censuses!!

1871 is the one that gives more specific birthplaces:
Charles - Castlebar
Catharine -Roscommon
Annie (Hanoria?) Custerroy - I would imagine that may be Castlerea Roscommon
Alas- the birth is too early I think for any record!

Puzzle: 1881 they have a niece with them - Anne Mulleange transcribed as 18 yrs but I think 18 months ? (Mulleague)
Also a niece - Mary Rueaton (transcribed) but I think is something like Knocton- they have Norton lodgers in an earlier census. (variation of Naughton etc)

Not sure if Ann 30 yrs (single)  in 1881 is Julia Ann or a wrongly aged Hanoria? Wondering if Anne 18 months is grandchild?

I think it would be good to get Julia's birth certificate or one of the younger children's b.c. to get Catherine's maiden name. Even if you can't get far in Ireland, it is an added dimension.
Best wishes
heywood

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 January 09 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Heywood

I'll get Julia's birth cert ordered!

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams