Author Topic: Relf family Peasmarsh  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relf family Peasmarsh
« on: Sunday 11 January 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Any information on the Relf family from the Peasmash area in Sussex would be greatly appreciated.

I have not been able to trace William Relf born C1730. He married an Elizabeth Fuller born c1723 in Peasmarsh in 1751 but I believe she was a widdow at the time so i am unsure of her maiden name.

I do have one possibility namely an Elizabeth Attree married John Fuller in Ditchling in 1744 and he died in 1749, but so far I have been unable to confirm that this is connected.

I know of 3 children from her marriage to William, these were Mary 1752, William 1754 and Thomas 1762. I beleve William died c1798 and Elizabeth c1782 in Peasmarsh.

Thanks, 

Alan

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Relf family Peasmarsh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 09 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Firstly welcome to Rootschat Alan

I can confirm from the Sussex Marriage Index that Elizabeth was a widow when she married William Relf on 23 May 1751 at Peasmarsh.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 09 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I've managed to find a burial for Elizabeth on Find my past

Elizabeth Relf on 6 october 1782 at Peasmarsh, St Peter and St Paul.  Couldn't find one on the index for William though.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Can I just ask Alan what are your reasons for believing that Elizabeth was Elizabeth Attree married to John Fuller?  Wouldn't it be more likely that they were a couple married a little closer than Ditchling which is quite a distance away?  The John Fuller that died 1749 in ditchling has a note - senior.

It would be worth checking the Peasmarsh parish registers.

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 09 09:58 GMT (UK) »
You can ask for lookups for baptism records from the Sussex Family History Group - http://www.sfhg.org.uk/baptisms.html 

If you look under P Peasmarsh is well covered for the time period you are concerned with.

Kerry

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 09 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kerry,

Will give the Sussex Family History a try.

The marriage to Elizabeth Atrree was only a theory, searched for a marriage between a Fuller and an Elizabeth, then checked the death records, this was the only one where all the dates tied up but as you say, seems quite a distance away.

Thanks again,

Alan

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 February 11 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Appears that William's marriage was to Elizabeth Patience 1721 of Beckley. She was previously married to Robert Fuller who died in 1744 in Peasmarsh.

William was christened in 1725 in Guestling, son of Thomas Relf C1696 and Elizabeth Cruttenden who married in Rye in 1721.

Have been unable to trace Thomas however there was a Relf family living in Peasmarsh at around the right time, namely Samuel Relf and Margaret Crittenden. They had 8 children, the first being born in 1696 but with no christian name or sex shown, possibily my Thomas. There is however a burial record in 1707 for Mary daughter of Samuel but I have been unable to find her christening, so she equally could be the first born in 1696.

Any information that may help would be much appreciated.