Author Topic: Was she Scottish or Irish???  (Read 21257 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Was she Scottish or Irish???
« on: Monday 12 January 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Referring to an old mystery which I haven't been able to solve as yet (even with the help of the famous RCers)...my GGG-grandmother was Elizabeth Frances McMinn (born 1858).  I only ever found her married (she married a James Edward Leach) in the 1891 & 1901 census.  It was because her sister was staying with them in 1901, that I discovered her maiden name, and ordered her MC.  However, in these 2 census's, her birth place is listed as Edinborough, Scotland and just Scotland.  Her sister's birth place (Caroline McMinn) was listed as Ireland.

From her MC, her father was listed as Alexander McMinn, of the RA and gave a rank etc.  I followed his trail, and his name not being that common, came on one that fit everything but as her father!  He was born in 1835, in Scotland, in 1871 he was a Corporal in the RA in Dover, and listed as single!  He then married in 1872 to an Alice O'Hara, had children with her and moved to Woolowich where he died in 1886.  Strangely enough, where did Elizabeth get married, but Woolwich, but 3 months after her "father" had died, yet deceased was not on the MC.

(Sorry this is so long, but want to give as much detail as possible!  I can back this up with ref's if needed)

Alexander enlisted in 1857 (Caroline was born 1856, and Elizabeth, 1858), and not too long after he had enlisted he went off to India.

NOW, however, with the 1911 census :)  new information appears to be coming out.  Elizabeth's husband has died, and her eldest son filled out the census form...Elizabeth is now listed as being born in 1857, in Clonmel, Ireland.

So, my question is, was she Scottish or Irish?  I have never been able to find a birth for her, or her sister.  Haven't found them prior to 1891 in England. Have no idea who her mother was, and really for definate, who her father was.  Can anyone help?
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was she Scottish or Irish???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
You say you have followed Alexander but you have no proof that this is the father is that right?
What was his occupation on the marriage certificate?

Family Search has a marriage for Alexander McMinn 1846 at Scots Church Saint Mary Clonmel - sounds good.

http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/tipp/ClonmelBaptisms.htm has some baptisms from here but sadly no McMinn.

Beg your pardon- see you have given details from MC - is it the same Alexander then?
Often too, deceased was not indicated on MC.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of births for the same couple but no Caroline or Elizabeth Frances so ...

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:18 GMT (UK) »
George Charles McMinn from that family is on 1901 census in a barracks  ::)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Alexander McMinn was down on her MC as her father, and his job discription was Staff Sgt Major...(I think she may have exagerated this rank!) in the RA.

George Charles McMinn?  Do you have a ref for that census?

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:24 GMT (UK) »
George is a child of the 1846 marriage I think which is a large gap to 1869. The other one Emily (think it was) has a different mother  ???

1901 RG13; Piece: 1810; Folio: 174; Page: 2

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
1891 RG12; Piece: 751; Folio 140; Page 14

Alexander John McMinn b 1861 Clonmel a Sergeant in Royal Artillery with a Scottish wife and Indian born children

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
The 1846 marriage doesn't fit...it would have made Alexander only 11 when he got married :(

When Alexander married Alice O'Hara in 1872, he was 37.  Quite old really to be getting married for the first time (says me, who is 37 and remains unmarried with 2 children :(  ;D) but in those days.

I just don't get why her birthplace was Scotland for 2 of the cenus's and then Ireland for 1911. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 09 23:33 GMT (UK) »
oh dear!

I was thinking that Clonmel was a garrison town and that is why all these things happened there!
 He may have been Scottish and posted there . Perhaps her son was wrong although he is quite specific with the place - which again leads to the army connection.