Author Topic: Gamekeeper to Lord Beresford  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gamekeeper to Lord Beresford
« on: Tuesday 13 January 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace information on a James Mullin. He was employed as a Gamekeeper to Lord Beresford of Waterford. James was married to Mary Stewart. James and Mary were both dead before their daughter, Sarah got married in Glasgow in 1862. Sarah was born in Waterford in 1843. So if anyone could provide any information on James Mullin or perhaps his wife, it would be appreciated.

yours

derek
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gamekeeper to Lord Beresford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Waterford Archives at High Street, Waterford City, might be able to find some information for you.

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gamekeeper to Lord Beresford now closed
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Vasaborg.
derek
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 November 11 10:50 GMT (UK) »
James Mullin born 1809 possibly in Waterford. His wife Mary Stewart could also have been born in Waterford in 1811. Mary had died before their daughter, Sarah, got married in 1862 in Milton, Glasgow. Sarah died in Kilsyth,  Scotland in 1891. 
James and Mary married in Ballymoney Parish, Antrim, on 9th August 1834. Sarah was born 1843 in Waterford.
There are so many variations of the surname that it could be any of these. Mullin, McMullen, Millen, Milne or Mullan.
It was listed as Sarah Milne when her son died in 1940. Her Granddaughter born in 1907 was named Sarah Millen Syme.  So even if I could get James or Mary's death record, it might help in the original spelling of the surname.

yours,

Wilton Endeavour 

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I know it was six years since I posted my original request on Waterford. I'm just seeing if there are any more societies that might have the information or family trees on the Mullin family.

Wilton Endeavour

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 November 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried approaching the Waterfords to see if they have estate papers regarding their employees? They still have gamekeepers at Curraghmore now.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Purpeller,
I wrote to the Beresford Family Society and this was the reply I got from them.
 Thank you for your email and its interesting content, unfortunately the BFS do not hold or have access to any records of estate workers at Curraghmore.
The only thing I can suggest is that you contact them direct, perhaps by letter  for intial contact, and hope that someone may be able to assist you. I have read several books about life at the Curraghmore in the 1800s, all of the family were big hunting shooting fishing participants  and very fine horsemen, at one time 100 horses were stabled there for hunting. Perhaps with this rich history they might be able to help you.
So sorry we cannot help you but wish you all the best in your quest for information.

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 November 17 18:51 GMT (UK) »
That's what I mean actually: writing directly to the family. The worst they can say is no...
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 November 17 19:33 GMT (UK) »
James Mullin born 1809 possibly in Waterford. His wife Mary Stewart could also have been born in Waterford in 1811. Mary had died before their daughter, Sarah, got married in 1862 in Milton, Glasgow. Sarah died in Kilsyth,  Scotland in 1891. 
James and Mary married in Ballymoney Parish, Antrim, on 9th August 1834. Sarah was born 1843 in Waterford

Ballymoney, County Antrim is on North Coast (opposite end of country from Waterford). This looks like the marriage you found- James McMullen to Mary Stewart-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGFG-JMS

Submitted family tree on same site-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:33LT-7H9

Wonder if it's not more likely that James & Mary were born in County Antrim, married there and then moved to Waterford where he was gamekeeper.

However, the above Ballymoney marriage might tie into Waterford as the Beresfords did have lands in the area (Aghadowey Parish, for example, which is across the River Bann from Ballymoney).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!