Author Topic: Baldock Family  (Read 12816 times)

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baldock Family
« on: Tuesday 13 January 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering whether any research into the Baldocks of Sussex.

My interest has been in the Rye and Mayfield areas however i have now found links to Wadhurst and it would be good to link the various areas of the family.

The connections i have are as follows:

Thomas Baldock C1677 Wadhurst and Elizabeth Loofe c1680 from Ticehurst, married 1702 Ticehurst.
Son Thomas 1705 Wadhurst and Ann Frie c1705 Mayfield, married 1727 Withyham lived in Rotherfield.
Son William 1741 Rotherfield married Agnes Holmes 1750 from Mayfield in 1773 in Mayfield.

Thanks,

Alan

Offline Mike Baldock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Baldock Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I am also researching Baldocks in the Rotherfield / Mayfield area and have got back as far as Robert Baldock (1771-1840) and Susannah Brooker (1782-1840) both of whom died in Town Row, Rotherfield. I think Robert's parents were a Robert Baldock and Sarah Carrick, but whilst the Carricks are fairly well recorded, Robert has proved a brick wall.

Totally seperately I have also found the Wadhurst Baldocks marrying into a seperate line - a Sarah Baldock (b1815) of Wadhurst married a William Raynes of Horsmonden in Kent. Sarah's parents were a Daniel Baldock of Wadhurst (1783-1860) and an Elizabeth.

I have not been able to trace Daniel any further back, and as the Wadhurst Baldocks are a fairly distant twig of my main tree, my main interest was in seeing if I could join them up with my Rotherfield Baldocks - which I haven't remotely been able to as yet!

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike,

My earliest Baldock, Thomas 1705 was one of the Wadhurst family however he married Anne Frie from Mayfield and they settled in Rotherfield having 7 children one of which was a Robert born 1734.

My line continues with their son William who also married a Mayfield woman, Agnes Holmes and settled there having 4 children. They were living at Huggetts Furnace Farm at one point.

Their son William married Ann Noakes and they settled in Rye where most future generations lived.

Offline Mike Baldock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 09 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, that's very interesting - your Robert could certainly be a candidate for my Robert - Sarah Carrick was born in 1737, making a birthdate of 1734 for her Husband Robert Baldock very plausible.

Would you mind sharing your data for Thomas and Ann Frie, as I haven't anything on these people at all.

Interestingly, my great-great-grandfather Alfred Baldock married an Ann Fry in Rotherfield in 1881 - her line goes back through Mayfield for at least two more generations too. Never checked the Frie spelling variant though - would make a lovely tangle if those families connected too!

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi both

I have a tribe of Baldocks from Wadhurst, too numerous to mention. However I checked my tree and don't seem to have any names you mention at present. I have got back as far as Thomas Baldock 1732 -1788 who married Sarah Mabb. I only have one son noted for them for my line and that is John 1762 - 1834 who married Lydia Sales. After that of course there is an explosion of Baldocks ;D

Any others that you are interested in from Wadhurst?

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike Baldock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 April 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Evie,

I have seen a tree showing descendants from Thomas and Sarah, but they don't seem to match up with any of my lot so far...

However, there is a document reference in the Medway Archives that you may or may not have been aware of:

Result number 551 - Please quote Reference: S_MN_Medway_Navigation_Company_1627_to_1936/S_MN_FLf_01a on request slip.

Path: Statutory_Authorities_1627_1969/ S_MN_Medway_Navigation_Company_1627_to_1936/ 01_kcc_Accession_0085_1627_to_1912/ S_MN_02_F_Finance_1627_to_1912/ S_MN_12_FLf_Freight_Account_Ledgers_1759_to_1906/ S_MN_FLf_01a.html

Medway Navigation Company

Financial records

Freight account ledger

Arranged in order of personal clients' accounts under debtor (receipts) and creditor (expenditure) headings, giving name and place of client (e.g. William Richardson of Rotherhithe, Surrey, timber merchant, William Brown of Southborough, founder, Messrs. Baldock & Mabb of Wadhurst, East Sussex, timber merchants, Thomas Burton of Stone Street, Maidstone, timber merchant, Kemble Whatley Esq. of Hartfield, Sussex, William Collens of Brenchley, timber merchant, Sir George Kelley [cf. Kelly] of Tunbridge Wells, Thomas Swayne of Tonbridge, attorney at law), date of transaction, description of operation and freight (species of goods) (e.g. timber knees and tops from Tonbridge to Chatham and Sheerness, plank, guns and brass guns between Tonbridge and Millhall (Aylesford[?]), stones, Portland stone, ropeyarn, oats) and sum paid.

Includes front index to clients, arranged alphabetically by initial letter of surname only.

[See S/MN/Flf/1b for removed loose items]
Date: 1759-1792
Quantity: 1 volume/265ff.

I wonder of the two familys ran a timber company?

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 April 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mike :)

That is very interesting, no I wasn't aware of that document. I will have to look into it. I must admit I haven't done much on the earlier Baldocks. Thanks once again.

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike Baldock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 April 09 17:19 BST (UK) »
Just realised I have another 'Floating Mary' Baldock - a Mary Baldock married a John Cooper in Dallington 1718, who shortly afterwards died, so she next married a Nicholas Carrick - father of the Sarah Carrick who married my Robert Baldock in Dallington n 1768.

A tree becomes a web becomes a scribble!

Offline Alan19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 June 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay Mike,

The details I have for Thomas and Ann were supplied by the Lewes records office and are as follows.

Thomas born 1705 in Wadhurst married 1727 in Withyham to Ann Frie C1705 of Mayfield.

Children Mary 1728, John 1731- D1732, Robert 1734, Edward 1737, Anne 1739, William 1741 and John 1743, all born in Rotherfield.