Author Topic: Flynn & McKeon - Sandpit / Termonfeckin  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Blue Belle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flynn & McKeon - Sandpit / Termonfeckin
« on: Tuesday 13 January 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Have just managed to find a marriage record for my elusive g.g.g.grandparents. Yay!!!

Bartle (AKA Bartholemy) Flynn and Elizabeth McKeon were married in Termonfeckin on 1 August 1829. Both were Catholics and it states that Elizabeth came from Sandpit. Unfortunately there's no info about either one's parents. (I have found a baptism for an Elizabeth McKeon in Skeaghmore, Togher - parents Cormick McKeon and Mary McGuire. Sadly have no idea if this is the same person. And I'm usually not that lucky so chances are it's a red herring!)

Have surfed the net and found a number of McKeons and Flynns in the area and even a few McKeon deaths in Sandpit House in the 1900s.

Was wondering if anyone out there had some connection to either of these families.

Waiting with bated breath,

Blue.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Flynn & McKeon - Sandpit / Termonfeckin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 09 17:49 BST (UK) »
Rose Tiernan (nee Murphy) was a daughter of Gertie Murphy (nee McKeown), Sandpit. There were 2 brothers of Rose Murphy...Paddy and Gerard. Gerard passed away 3 years ago..May 2006. Funeral was from Walshestown Church, Clogherhead.

Gertie Murphy (nee McKeown, died Dec 1997) funeral also from Walshestown Church, Clogherhead.

Sandpit House was sold about 10 years ago. There are still Flynn's in the area that attend Sandpit Church, Termonfeckin. There are Flynns also on the Galroostown Rd, which is about a mile from Sandpit House and attend Sandpit Church.

Not related but my wife grew up in Sandpit.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 09 18:17 BST (UK) »
Eh...err delete last line of my previous post... maybe related!!

Essie Flynn was an aunt in law to my wife!

Essie married a Peter Byrne who was a brother of my wife's mum...The Byrnes were from Balbriggan, moved to Liverpool, visited Louth regularly...Essie and Peter married in Liverpool and lived at Skelmersdale, had 6 children, 2 of which died recently. Colette lived in Ontario and died about 2 years ago, Anthony passed away in Liverpool about 10 years ago.

Offline Blue Belle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info! Do you know if your McKeons go further back?
My lot were in Termonfeckin in the early-mid 1800s so focusing on that time period as I have no other info on them whilst they lived in Ireland so need to work backwards.

Do know a sibling, Cat (possibly Catherine?), was baptised in 1830 having been born in Termonfeckin. Sponsors were a Lau (poss. Laurence) McKeon and Jane Flynn. Assuming that both were a sibling/relative to one of the Cat's parents. Unfortunately, still unable to find my g.g.grandfather's baptism. Possible that the family moved from the area.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 April 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
We wouldn't have any information like that... Am looking for my ancestors for this period too so it is a long slow haul which may or may not prove fruitful.

I didn't even know about my wife being related to the Flynns until yesterday after I saw your post!