Author Topic: Pettigrove/Frost/Lee/Rossiter/Hills  (Read 45121 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pettigrove/Frost/Lee/Rossiter/Hills
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 March 09 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Lots of your surnames listed in here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gypsy/gypsyc.htm

Pettigrove fair photos
http://www.personal.psu.edu/jwd6/pettigrove%20pictures.htm
apparently still under the same name
http://www.theleisurewebsite.co.uk/home/a0_P/a0_PE/i3209_Pettigrove_W_Fairground_Amusements
 ;D but weblink not working likely spammed with more historical interests than clients  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 October 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
Jacob 'Coco' Rossiter and Mariah Pettigrove are in my tree. Im in touch with their granddaughter. Coco and Riah's son in law is related to me.  Do any photos exist?
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Spursbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 October 09 19:24 BST (UK) »
Jacob 'Coco' Rossiter and Mariah Pettigrove are in my tree. Im in touch with their granddaughter. Coco and Riah's son in law Abraham Roberts is related to me.  Do any photos exist?

I can help you on this but not tonight as have something very important to do before the postal strike.....see my post above for details on the Pettigroves - also have details on Roberts family and photos of Coco and Mariah. Rita
Pettigrove. - any area and country.
Lee. Gypsy - Kent area .
Yelding.Hornby.Frost. Fossett,Travelling showmen and circus connections.
Adams.Tomlin.Penfold.Rossiter. Baker.Keefe.Allen my Kent connections.
Baker - Canterbury
Tanner. Eastbourne and  Horsham area.
Rout . Brighton

Whitehead- Burnley Lancs.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
Theres no hurry, Id appreciate anything but only as and when you can. Ive been working on that line (Riah and Coco) only for about 6 months, but I have the parents, grandparents, children etc.  Am fascinated with this family!  Coco's son in law is still alive, he was very helpful. Spursbird, are you Rita?  I saw your post on Romany Roots but I dont use that site now, too much silliness and nastiness from some people.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline Spursbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
Yes its me Spursbird......I have the family back to late 1700's. Maria and Jacob married on 13th Sep 1921 - the 13th is my son's birthday.  I was at school with several of the gchildren. My Dad was Bill (William) Pettigrove.  Will be able to help you loads - just look up me as Rita Pettigrove Circus Ashford in a google search and private email me.
Have a great memory of Joacob and Ria.  We all went out in the lorry to Seasalter - near to Faversahm.  Dad drove with Nan and GDad Pettigrove - my Mum Rita and cousin Dick Byng. He was brought up by my GParents....cant remember if my sister was born then (she was born in Sep 1965 - me in Feb 1958)
We went looking for cockles - put them in an old enamel bath and brought them home to my Gparent bungalow.  Then over a fire boiled them. Have a photo of them all sitting in the back garden eating them but Jo has it......Also Ria was so stunning when she was young. Have been in touch with D....... for a few years and she has sent me some photos.  I have found Rias Mums Grave (Polly aka Mary Ann Lee)in Ashford - from Nov 1918. She has her GDaughter on top of her too. GDad George came back from WWI to find his Mum had just died.  There is nothing with her name on it and I do hope to put something onto it with her details.  Richard was buried as Richard Frost (long story) and he is at Ashford too.  Ria and Jocob I believe are at Charing Crem....

Bit morbid but brought up as a traveller I have been going to funerals since I was a little girl and love to go to the old graves when I find them.

My GDad Geroge Pettigrove and my Nan are related..... Lee sister and brother and this resulted in William Baker who was my Nans Dad.  The Lee marriage resulted Polly lee who was my Gdads mother and also Ria's.....follow this.......another sister Ruth Baker married .....Thomas ROSSITER b 1847 Berthersden, Dover, Kent married Ruth BAKER b 1850 Stelling Minnis, Folkestone, Kent**Baker Line - see above- daughter of John BAKER and Mercy  at St, Gergory, Canterbury, Kent  Thomas was a Genreal Dealer.

Now:Census 1881
Tent, Thomas Rd, Sittingbourne, Kent
Thomas ROSSITER M 30 M Bethersden, Kent, Head, Hawker
Ruth ROSSITER M 28 F Folkestone, Kent, Wife **Baker  - see above
Thomas ROSSITER 12 M Dover, Kent, Son
Naomi ROSSITER 9 F Ashford, Kent, Daur (S)
Walter ROSSITER 7 M Dover, Kent, Son
Barbary ROSSITER 5 F Ashford, Kent, Daur, (S)
Stephen ROSSITER 2 M Sittingbourne, Kent, Son
Eliza BAKER 14 F Ashford, Kent, Sister In Law **Not myGMother  - see above

Caravans, Thomas Rd, Sittingbourne, Kent

George BAKER M 22 M Willesborough, Kent, Head Hawker **Baker Line - see above
Jemima BAKER M 22 F Harvent, Hampshire, Wife
John MURPHETT (BAKER) 13 M Canterbury, Kent, Adopted Son
John BAKER M 57 M Head, Hawker (Brushes Etc) **My direct Baker Line - see above
Mercy BAKER M 56 F Wife, Hawker **My direct Baker Line
William HARRIS M 28 M Head General Dealer
Elizabeth HARRIS M 28 F Sheerness, Kent, Wife
George HARRIS 9 M Sheerness, Kent, Son
Homey HARRIS 2 M Sittingbourne, Kent, Son

James ROSSITER M 40 M Milton, Kent, Head, Hawker (Brushes Etc)
Susan ROSSITER M 22 F Borough, Middlesex, Wife, Hawker
James ROSSITER 16 M Ramsgate, Kent, Son, Hawker
Jacob ROSSITER M 22 M Maidstone, Kent, Head, Hawker (Brushes Etc)****Not Rias  Jacob born too early for that
Abby ROSSITER M 21 F Chatham, Kent, Wife, Hawker
Carry ROSSITER 4 F Bidelington, Kent, Daur

Caravans, Cowper Rd, Sittingbourne, Kent

William STONE M 57 M Head, Brickfield Lab
Mary STONE M 53 F Cranbrook, Kent, Wife
Walter STONE 17 M Son Brickfield Lab
Albert STONE 15 M Romford, Essex, Son Brickfield Lab
Ceclia STONE 12 F Chilham, Kent, Daur
Thomas GOLDSMITH U 32 M Faversham, Kent, Head, Dealer General
Eliza ROBERTS M 30 F Stockbury, Kent, Serv, Caravan Keeper
Sarah ROBERTS 2 F Sittingbourne, Kent, Serv Daur
Manuel BEANY M 24 M Lindfield, Surrey, Head, Brickfield Carter
Mary A. BEANY M 20 F Loose, Kent, Wife
Belsher BEANY 2 M Sittingbourne, Kent, Son
Sarah JONES W 72 F Lenham, Kent, Head

John BAKER M 40 M Head General Dealer **Baker Line - see above
Elizabeth BAKER M 38 F Wife
Rueben BAKER 8 M Sittingbourn, Kent, Son
George BAKER

Haahaa.......so James and Thomas Rossiter being brothers????
Eliza Baker and George Pettigrove had  FOUR Grt  GParents.  Most people have EIGHT.... Have I lots for you!!!! I also have info on the Rossiters back before this and I believe that the Lees/Bakers/ Rossiters also related in the same way as my Gparents - as removed cousins.

Where do u live?? How are you related to them?

Also I have most of the Rossiter family but would love to have yr details on this also

Keep in touch
Rita

Lee. Gypsy - Kent area .
Baker - Canterbury
Rout . Brighton

Offline Spursbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
To make more sense of how my Grandparents were related to each other (and also Jacob Rossiter and Maria had the same type of connection) you need to use an Ahnentafel Chart; With myself  being No: 1     my Dad = 2. Mum = 3. (BUT NOT using my Mums line in this example) this makes the following relatives:
Rita = 1
William = 2

George Petitgrove = 4
Eliza Baker = 5

Richard Pettigrove = 8
Mary Ann (Polly) Lee = 9
William Baker = 10
Priscilia Bundock = 11

Thomas Lee =16
Sarah/Matilda Baker = 17
John Baker = 20
Mercy Barton = 21

This is my line with the Bakers/Lee but may help you to see how it all works.

The only details I cant get bfore this is for Charlotte Lee .....dont have all the marriage details on all the above but with what I have done and been helped to do believe that theis is all correct

Also

Charles Frost Pettigrove 18
Maria Horby = 19

Ria would follow 8 9 16 17 18 19 32 33  above....with me???I have this side  going down the generations......Also Jacob (Coco) and Ria are related......will need to work on that one later.

Your Ahnentafel

The ahnentafel takes the numbering system and uses it to create a continuous list of ancestors instead of a chart. The format would be as follows:

1. your name
2. your father
3. your mother
4. your father’s father
5. your father’s mother
6. your mother’s father
7. your mother’s mother
8. your father’s father’s father
9. your father’s father’s mother
10. your father’s mother’s father
11. your father’s mother’s mother
12. your mother’s father’s father
13. your mother’s father’s mother
14. your mother’s mother’s father
15. your mother’s mother’s mother
16-31. your great-great-grandparents
32-63. your great-great-great grandparents
Rita

Lee. Gypsy - Kent area .
Baker - Canterbury
Rout . Brighton

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Rita I cant make one of those charts for love nor money, I keep getting hopelessly mixed up. I didnt expect you to reply so soon, thanks. I'll google you to get your email address then mail you. Coco and Riah's daughter Betsy married a Roberts.  His brother is my direct ancestor. Or was it his dads brother, I'll have to look at my tree!!  Im in touch with Coco and Riahs granddaughter.  I have random Lee gypsies in my tree marrying into the Roberts as well. I heard that Coco was related to Leonard Rossiter from Rising Damp.  Anyway, I live in Warwickshire not far from Nuneaton and Coventry.  Im 33, married with 3 kids and I speak basic Romanes. We go to a couple of horse fairs a year.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
Just a reminder that names & details of any persons living (or possibly living) are not permitted on Rootschat - a couple of posts above have been edited accordingly.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, Rita
 who was the sudds that drusilla married.
thanks, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire
Pennell, thanet, Faversham