Author Topic: Burke Family from Cork  (Read 22336 times)

Offline gburke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burke Family from Cork
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 November 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a Burke as well. My name is Michael Burke I'm trying to find information about my great-great-great-grandfather Timothy Burke born January 1810 did May 5, 1903. He married Catherine Hurley around 1830 and had five children with her, their second son being my great-great-grandfather. From his obituary and other records that we have he came from County Cork, his obituary also states tha he was born in Dunmanway. His children where baptised in Drinagh Parish.  I would like to find his parents, I know that his mother's last name was McCannon or Cannon and we think his father's name was John Burke but we don't know for sure. We do know that he had a brother named John Burke who went to New Brunswick and then to Boston (my family also took a similar route), Timothy eventually came to the U.S. dying in Oswego, New York. We like to think that his family kept with the Irish naming system but if that's true then his father's name was possibly Timothy not John because his eldest son was named Timothy, my great-great-grandfather being named John. We also know that Timothy worked as an Iron Worker/Laborer. Also my Burke family is Roman Catholic. I would like if someone could help me find more information about Timothy and his parents. I also have my families coat of arms, which I'm attaching which we've had probably since we came to America because my grandfather had it and so it probably came over with my great-great-grandfather or great-great-great-grandfather. Thanks

Offline gburke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 November 13 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 My husbands family is from Cork. His great grandfather was named Daniel born in Marllow,Cork.He married Mary Curry . His father was named John Burke who married a women named Mary. We don't know  Mary's last name. We do know that Daniel had a brother named Timothy and a brother named John , Michael and a sister Julia. They settled in Cambridge/Boston Ma.
  Your dates are earlier than the ones we have. John Burke senior could have had a brother named Timothy. We have been having  very hard time researching Irelands records. We don't know if John Senior came to America.

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 November 13 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 My husbands family is from Cork. His great grandfather was named Daniel born in Marllow,Cork.He married Mary Curry . His father was named John Burke who married a women named Mary. We don't know  Mary's last name. We do know that Daniel had a brother named Timothy and a brother named John , Michael and a sister Julia. They settled in Cambridge/Boston Ma.
  Your dates are earlier than the ones we have. John Burke senior could have had a brother named Timothy. We have been having  very hard time researching Irelands records. We don't know if John Senior came to America.

If you want some help with this, you would need to give dates for these people.

Offline The Sisterhood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 April 15 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In response to the gburke post. Daniel Burke is my husbands gr grandfather. Married Mary Curry,  Mallow, Cork. Emigrated to the U.S. 1884. On Daniel's marriage record, naturalization record and death record, he lists his father's name as John. Nowhere does he state his mother's name. Some of the  sibling information that you have came off of an 1880 U.S. Census and cannot be true as that was prior to Daniel coming to the U.S. by approx. 4 yrs. Nor do any of those names follow the Irish naming convention for Daniel and Mary's children. I have visited burial location on several occasions. He never lived in Boston either. I have documented/sourced all of the information. If you have a proven connection, would appreciate hearing from you.
Looking for Birth info: County Armagh, Ireland. James Woods father of Susan Woods; birth abt. 1829 who married Samuel Curry; birth abt. 1828 in Kildarton Church of Ireland in December 1847. One known child: Mary Curry, birth abt. 1863. Mary Curry married  (John)? Daniel Burke; birth abt. 1860 in Cork, Mallow Parish (civil marriage) in February, 1884. Emigrated to the United States in 1884.