Author Topic: Dovercastle?  (Read 929 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dovercastle?
« on: Thursday 15 January 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother was born to Irish parents c1863, most likely in Dublin, but on the 1911 Census it looks like she was born in "Dovercastle". It looks like Dovercastle on the original page, but I can't find a place called Dovercastle. Does anyone know where this is or can give me a suggestion as to what it is supposed to say?

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dovercastle?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
it certainly looks like Dovercastle - does not ring any bells with me
as somewhere around Dublin.

is the entry written by the head of the household or the enumerator ?  - I wonder if its a misinterpretation ...

theres a Irish townland placename search at http://www.thecore.com/seanruad - if you select begins with Dove.. it only returns a few place name, none that sound like Dovercastle

another possibility is that the Dover part is from a place name of Dubh (pronounced dove) meaning black..
e.g. Blackrock = Carrick Dubh

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
The entry was written by the head of the household.

Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Was her father an Irish soldier?  If so could he have been at Dover Castle and his wife too and she was born there?  Just a long shot but I am sure I have seen a birth at Dover Castle before.   (In Kent). My soldiers all seemed to take their wives with them in those days.

Daff

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 January 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Was her father an Irish soldier?  If so could he have been at Dover Castle and his wife too and she was born there?  Just a long shot but I am sure I have seen a birth at Dover Castle before.   (In Kent). My soldiers all seemed to take their wives with them in those days.

Daff

Yeah, he was.

Offline Daffodilly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 January 09 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

That might be it then.  I just looked at mine, I have a Scottish Soldier with a son born at Dover Castle in 1875, then a son born in Dublin in 1879 so he got about a bit with the Black Watch.  Hope you can find her birth now.

Good luck

Daff