Author Topic: 1911 Census  (Read 3317 times)

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 Census
« on: Saturday 17 January 09 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Am currently transcribing images from the 1911  and will if (Copyright) allows be adding them to my site but it is coplex as the National Archives have partnered with Find my Past for the 1911 so I need to check the legalities out first !!

Offline ROMANYGENES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 09 14:22 GMT (UK) »
It would seem that as the 1911 is at the moment only availble online through  Find My Past that different Copyright rules may apply until the Records are more freely available ,so I am at present checking with Find My Past and Crown Copyright
as to the proper Copyright Issues !!

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 January 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
The release of the 1911 census has probably been brought forward to take financial advantage of people's enthusiasm before it becomes free to all in 2012. 

There must be some statute which spells out the circumstances under which this can be done and I suspect that the law says it should not be done at all especially with regard to the 1911 census which offered people improved privacy protection when it was originally taken.

Why not boycot it until somebody explains why our 1911 ancestors are being disrespected?

ROMANYGENES is a popular site which many people have found to be very helpful.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
the copywright information seen on this site makes it perfectly clear nothing can be copied at the present time.i will look and see if i can find the post.

FindMyPast has an exclusive license to host the images of the 1911 for a limited period. The index and the online transcriptions on that site are subject to copyright. Therefore please be aware of the following:

You may NOT

post full images;
post screen-shots of 1911 site which include the transcription or search results;
copy and paste transcriptions;
make overt look-up requests - you may find it removed without warning;
offer unwanted images to others.

i would imagine that applies everywhere not just here on this site.i have instructed members of sites i am on we will not be able to post any info asyet.  just tips on how they can do look ups for them selves.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Cathay, you have quoted the rules correctly but what you have said does not exclude transcription of the type used on Romanygenes. Provided the source is acknowledged no offence has taken place.

Copyright is an interesting subject but very few people understand it properly.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
i was thinking maybe you could say something like  i found my aunt  ??living at no12.......street and she was a peg mender.she had her 3 kids with her aged 12,14 and 16 but her husband wasnt.i found him in the prison at   ???and he was aged 47.

or something like that.would that be okay do you think?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline somners

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree as they are available at Kew and as long as you are saying that
forexample my x times granfather  Alfred Smith was with his wife lets say Ann and childred etc etc its ok as its public domain and as long as no actual transcription as on  Find my pass etc. Find my past only have the right on their web site ,they do not own the copyright as Public domain they just have the licence at the moment to show the Census online until the full release date of 2012 as its not full as info like ,deaf,dumbor,Lunatic is being kept pprivate until 2012 . Theres nothing stopping people from viewing the census at kew.