Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 39726 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 July 09 10:00 BST (UK) »
Teeheehee™

I think you'll find that Barbie has a lovely 'Military ' Collection.   ;)

So James was in the Infantry and in a group of guys who had guns - surely that would be everyone....  why isn't he just listed as Infantry then... or is that still the punishment/ boys secret handshake thing?

;D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 July 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Ahhh....This is your problem....

Barbie is a colonial....As are their military affectations....This is why "soldier dolls" (as Blue Peter used to call them) can't speak proper English (Army type soldiers for the use of).

Young ladies would have better spent their time reading "Battle" "Warlord" "Victor" et al

;) ;D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
ahhhh I see the error of my ways  ;)

pops to the library to check out "Warlord"

;D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
ahhhh I see the error of my ways  ;)

pops to the library to check out "Warlord"

;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warlord_(DC_Thomson)

;D ;D ;D

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Ah Ha!

Explained why the librarian looked at me like I was mad...

Warlord was a comic paper published weekly in the UK between 28.09.1974 and 27.09.1986. It was first published in 1974 by D.C. Thomson. The comic was dedicated to wartime adventures and was a popular success, leading IPC Magazines to create a competitor, Battle Picture Weekly, in 1975. Warlord included several stories per issue, initially centered around a character called Lord Peter Flint (Codename: Warlord), a World War II version of popular spy James Bond.

Thanks for that  :P  Looks like a fun filled comic  ;)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Oh it was...I still have an amount up in the attic!

Offline Edgehill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin

I was interested in your reference to your Waterloo database and your comments about 6th Inniskilling Dragoons.  My interest is in Fiennes Sanderson Miller, and I am keen to establish the orbat of the regiment and who commanded each troop.  Are you able to help?

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 August 09 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Edgehill
Yes I have all that - your man was 2nd in command and commanded the left squadron (Holbech and Douglas' Troops). He received 2 bayonet wounds while taking part in the Union charge and lost his horse.
Troop commanders were:
1 Holbech
2 Hadden
3 Brown
4 Madox
5 Douglas
6 Macky

Military stuff aside I have: Eldest son of the famous architect Sanderson Miller of Radway Grange, Kineton. Born 16th May 1783. Educated at Rugby. Married Georgina Story 1819  - one daughter, who died in 1909. Retired before 1824. Letters addressed " Radway, 1839". Died 1862 aged 79.

All the best

Martin

Offline Edgehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 August 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the info.  FSM and Edward Holbech were close neighbours - I was at Farnborough Hall (Holbech house) yesterday!  I believe it was FSM who ordered Holbech to take the prisoners to Brussels after the initial charge of the Union Brigade.

FSM's son Frederick won the VC at Inkerman.  All three sons died in military service.  As you say, Jane died in 1909.

Are you able to comminicate by email?

Alan