Author Topic: Waterloo  (Read 39724 times)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 00:03 BST (UK) »
Martin,

Do you have anything on a Joseph Rodgers born High Green, Sheffield 1891, according to his Grandsons obituary in the local paper it stated that his Grandfather had fought at Waterloo.

David

p.s. All my "Warlord" comics are still in my dads loft.
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi David
I keep a database of British Waterloo combatants which, whilst containing a fair bit of detail, unfortunately does not extend to great grandchildren in 1891!

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry Martin, should say 1791 not 1891!

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline poptin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 15 August 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
I have just read your offer, but don't know whether I'm in the right area.  One of my ancestors was a private, in the Regiment of Foot. This is all the info I have, he was born in 1791 in Scotland and his name is David Murdoch/k.  I am assuming he was in an English regiment as I think he might have been based somewhere near Sleaford in Lincolnshire, as it was there he met his wife. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bob2392

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 16 August 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

I have a request but have very little info on the person who was my 4 x Grandfather.

He was William Herbert b 1795 Nottingham area and a publication about the Lace industry stated that he was in the Grenadier Guards at the Battle of Waterloo,he was also in the Battle for "Bergan-op-Zoom" which i believe is in Holland.

Any info would be greatly received.

Regards Bob,
Lyon-Walsall
Baker-Walsall
Gleeson-Walsall/ashton-under-lyne
Pearson-Nottingham.
Glossop-Nottingham
Crow-Bewdley/Kidderminster.
Herbert-Nottingham
Crawford-Walsall/Oxford
Purchase/Purkiss
Grove-Walsall

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 17 August 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
hi martin  :)

do you have any info. on the following 2 brothers

david glen(n) baptised 11/10/1789 dunnichen angus parents james glen and
ann salmond - chelsea pensioner on 1851 , 1861 census , and death cert.
national archives has david glenn born dunnichen angus served royal horse
artillery - discharged age 24 - served 1809 to 1816
married ann donaldson 11/12/1819 dunnichen angus
died 23/11/1866 blair road letham angus age 77

james glen(n) born 18/06/1791 baptised 26/06/1791 dunnichen angus parents
james glen & ann salmond - noted as chelsea pensioner on death cert. only
national archives has james glenn born dunnichen angus served royal horse
artillery - discharged age 26 - served 1809 to 1818
married elizabeth cameron date ?(first child born 1826)
died 23/10/1876 vanes park brechin angus age 85

i may have been in touch with you about one of them before but after the last
computer crash no longer have the info.
however , after putting the info. back together again(on paper as well as disc
and memory stick  ;) ) i spotted that the 2 brother might have served in the
same unit
once again - thank you for your time  :)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline summersage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 30 August 09 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

I wondered if you had any information regarding my ancestor Samuel Sage he was born in 1789, Priddy, Somerset, England.

Samuel was assigned to the band and  for ten years continued in the army and participated in several continental campaigns.

Sorry I do not have any more information.

Thank you for your time

summersage

Offline Hythloday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 31 August 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, I wondered if you could help me. My Great Great Great Great Grandfather, John Thorn (sometimes spelled Thorne) was a Chelsea out-pensioner living in Shipston-on-Stour (which was then in Worcestershire, now in Warwickshire) in later life. He was born in 1781 in Shipston-on-Stour and was married to Hannah Gibbs, also in Shipston-on-Stour, in 1801. He died in Shipston-on-Stour in 1869, aged 89. According to his death certificate he was a "Chelsea Pensioner" who served with the "1st Regiment of Foot." The 1851 Census confirms that he was a Chelsea Pensioner and that he formerly worked as a weaver. I understand that many of those in the British ranks serving under Wellington at Waterloo were weavers, which is why I thought I would give this a try. (I haven't been able to find anything else out about his service record or pension, so if anyone knows a good place to start I would be interested to know.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline helenmk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 12 June 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Martin,

I have a possible Waterloo connection. My 4x great grandfather was in the 6th Inniskillings regiment in 1802 and was possibly still with them in 1810. I'm hoping he was still alive by 1815. I can't find his name on the Waterloo medal list and it's my understanding only survivors received one.

What I can definitely tell you is the following:

Marriage by licence at Dartmouth 1802 between Elizabeth PAYNE/PAIN(E) - dau of George PAYNE/PAIN(E) and Sarah DOTTIN - and Matthew HOGG of the Kingdom of Ireland 6th regiment of Dragoons.
The Regiment was stationed @ Exter at the time. 

Their daugther Maria Ann(e) Dottin HOGG was born circa 1811 probably in Ireland as the regiment was in Ireland at the time - I have not been able to find her birth details so far. There is a possibility that Matthew HOGG used more than one first name.

Matthew's wife was back in Dartmouth in 1828 when she is buried - as far as I can tell - alone. HOGG is an unusual name for Dartmouth.

Maria is witness to 2 marriages in 1829. She then arrives in Australia in 1836 possibly as servant to Rev William M COWPER.

The marriage for Matthew HOGG and Maria's birth is the only concrete evidence for his existence around the time of Waterloo. As he seems to disappear, I was wondering if he was still in existence in 1815. I can't find any record of him going to US for the 1812 war - unless again he was using a different first name.

Thank you for any help/tips you can offer me,

Helen